Author Topic: The Laws of Thermodynamics [#1885]  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
Re: The Laws of Thermodynamics [#1885]
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 01:43:36 AM »
Problems with a Global Flood

How did the kangaroos get back to Australia or the American buffalo back to America?  Where did all the poop go?  Where there dinosaurs on the ark?  What did T-Rex eat?  What did Noah do with the animals that needed a specific living environment?  What about the saltwater fish?

It's a ridiculous story from the word "go".
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »
If you are not going to offer any evidence to your outrageous claims, nor answer questions/comments from other posters, and if you are just going to YELL your fantasy at us and demand we accept it

...............you can just fuck the fuck off.

Hopefully that is simplistic enough for you to understand?
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 05:30:12 AM »
Ahhh. I love the smell of a fresh crop of sigs in the morning. BM
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
YOU CANT REFUTE ANYTHING ABOUT MY GLOBAL FLOOD COMMENTS.

GOD EXISTS. THERE IS TONS OF EVIDENCE OF GODS EXISTENCE.

YOU HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE THAT GOD DOESNT EXIST.

IF YOU DO, PLEASE PROVIDE IT.

Are you related to the member 'Saint'?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=9399.msg211772#msg211772
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
Isaiah gives this same statement that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth (Isaiah 54:9). Clearly, what the Bible is telling us is that God acted to alter the earth's topography. New continental landmasses bearing new mountain chains of folded rock strata were uplifted from below the globe-encircling waters that had eroded and leveled the pre-Flood topography, while large deep ocean basin were formed to receive and accommodate the Flood waters that then drained off the emerging continents.

That is why the oceans are so deep, and why there are folded mountain ranges. Indeed, if the entire earth's surface were leveled by smoothing out the topography of not only the land surface but also the rock surface on the ocean floor, the waters of the ocean would cover the earth's surface to a depth of 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers). We need to remember that nearly 70 percent of the earth's surface is still covered by water. Quite clearly, then, the waters of Noah's Flood are in today's ocean basins.

As the new ocean floors cooled, they would have become denser and sunk, allowing water to flow off the continents. Movement of the water off the continents and into the oceans would have weighed down the ocean floor and lightened the continents, resulting in the further sinking of the ocean floor, as well as upward movement of the continents.[2] The deepening of the ocean basins and the rising of the continents would have resulted in more water running off the land.

The Bible refers only to “high hills,” and the mountains today were formed only toward the end of, and after, the flood by collision of the tectonic plates and the associated upthrusting. In support of this, the layers that form the uppermost parts of Mount Everest are themselves composed of fossil-bearing, water-deposited layers.

This uplift of the new continental landmasses from under the Flood waters would have meant that, as the mountains rose and the valleys sank, the waters would have rapidly drained off the newly emerging land surfaces. The collapse of natural dams holding back the flood waters on the land would also have caused catastrophic flooding. Such rapid movement of large volumes of water would have caused extensive erosion and shaped the basic features of today's earth surface.

All of this post was lifted word-for-word, without attribution, from here:  www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-floodwater.html

TheGadget, why didn't you just provide a link to AIG's material, instead of pretending that it's your own?  Lying like that is not ethical.  It is plagiarism.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Well spotted.

PLAGIARISM ALERT
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »

Actually, there are so many problems with the flood myth that even most Xian apologists admit that it can't be literally true.  The first is that it is impossible to make a 450-foot-long boat out of wood.  The second is how hard and fast the rain would have to fall to cover the entire earth in only forty days.  The third is how the hell a crew of eight is going to tend to all those animals (feed them, shovel their poop, and everything else) and maintain the ship.  And this isn't even scratching the surface.

'Fraid not... no one has ever managed to prove that anything supernatural of any kind at all exists. let alone any omnipotent beings.  Many have tried; all have failed.  This is why, for example, Randi has never had to fork out that million dollars he's been offering for the past couple of decades or so.

YOU HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE THAT GOD DOESNT EXIST.  IF YOU DO, PLEASE PROVIDE IT.

Sorry, no... no one is required to back up a claim that they never made, genius.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »

YOU HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE THAT GOD DOESNT EXIST.

IF YOU DO, PLEASE PROVIDE IT.

Not that you'll listen, but I'll assume that you mean specifically the deity as described in the Christian religious texts and not some pantheist or deistic deity.  If this is not the case, then you'll have to specify what deity you are talking about;

If you are not talking about the Christian deity, please describe the deity or group of deities you are talking about.

If you are talking about the Christian deity as described in the Christian religious texts, here's your answer;

The Why Won't God Heal Amputees videos and web site show the following;

If the Bible is correct, amputees getting restored limbs and other supernatural miracles should be scattered along the landscape just like confetti after a parade.

Why is that?  Let's take a look at a summary of what the videos actually explain;

1. The Christian Bible has promises in it.

2. The promises are said to be kept in ambiguous situations.

3. The promises are not kept in unambiguous situations, such as but not limited to amputees.

What promises?  The web site's author mentions some of them;

You can see that the amputee experiment reframes our conversation. No longer are we talking about "religion" or "faith" or "God's existence". What we are talking about here is the basic human ability to process factual information. Jesus makes a number of promises about prayer in the Bible:

* If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. [Matthew 21:21]

* If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. [John 14:14]

* Ask, and it will be given you. [Matthew 7:7]

* Nothing will be impossible to you. [Matthew 17:20]

* Believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. [Mark 11:24]

Are Jesus' promises true or false? By looking at amputees we can see that they are false. Jesus/God never answer prayers to spontaneously restore lost limbs, despite the promises in the Bible.

If you are a believer, and if this is the first time you have thought about the situation faced by amputees seriously, you may have a set of rationalizations and excuses swirling through your head right now.

So, what can we say is possible based on comparing the promises made in the Christian Bible to the what we see in reality?  A few potential conclusions come to mind;

1. The book is wrong, but the Christian deity exists.

2. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book though it could.

3. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book because it can't.

4. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because the Christian deity doesn't exist.

5. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities don't honor what they did not sign up for.

6. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities do honor similar promises to those who pray to them or offer some other communication or gift as a bribe for the miracle.  (Example: Hindu miracles.)

I'm going with #4.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
TheGadget,

Please do not copy and paste from other sites without citing your sources. It is called plagiarism, and it is against our forum rules.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
I think the gadget, was watching 100 Huntley street this morning, a pseudo scientist was on there and brought up the same bullshit.

the Chinese wrote things down like the weather clear Sky's that day and the day before.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »
I think the gadget, was watching 100 Huntley street this morning, a pseudo scientist was on there and brought up the same bullshit.

Do you watch that as research, belly laughs, or for the same reason people rubber neck when passing a car accident?   ;D
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »
Would an omnipotent and eternal god violate the laws of thermodynamics?   ;D
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »

Do you watch that as research, belly laughs, or for the same reason people rubber neck when passing a car accident?   ;D

rubber necking  ;D ;D ;D ;D
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline omniweasel

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Death-Rabbits
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 11:08:08 PM »
well, that was a magnificent drive-by of misinformation