Author Topic: your 10 questions video [#1884]  (Read 253 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
your 10 questions video [#1884]
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
The reason God doesn't "heal" amputees is because healing is spiritual not
physical. Jesus only did a few physical miracles because we are sinful and
therefore spiritually blind. We can not see the real healing. It has to be
believed by faith. Jesus said that he teaches us about this world so that we
can believe him when he talks about the world to come.

Family, for example, was taught by Jesus as spiritual. One day Jesus was
talking with his disciples and his biological family came to see him and
Jesus said that his mothers, sisters, and brothers are those that do the
will of his father in heaven.

Jesus completely denied his biological family to focus on his spiritual
family.

If Jesus gave you your arms and legs back you would use them to sin more.
Jesus doesn't want you farther away from him. Instead he heals you from the
inside (spiritual) out (physical). It is at our weakest we can clearly see
his strength.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMQvsZyhALk[/youtube]

Here is a video link to a video you might want to check out.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
Re: your 10 questions video [#1884]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
The reason God doesn't "heal" amputees is because healing is spiritual not
physical.

But the problem lies with Jesus healing someone in the book of Luke, chapter 22, verse 50 (KJV);

50And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.

51And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.

Jesus only did a few physical miracles because we are sinful and
therefore spiritually blind.

Ah yes, I'm almost afraid to ask, but what were these miracles?

Thanks for the video about Nick. I've seen it before. I'm glad he has peace with himself and is not bitter.

But back to this statement;

Jesus only did a few physical miracles because we are sinful and
therefore spiritually blind.

Doesn't seem a bit odd that all of these miracles seem to be written about in the bible, and nowhere else? There is no other documentation of his physical miracles other than what's mentioned in the bible. It seems strange.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
yeah, I've seen him.  
Legless, armless surfer guy with a semi-cute girlfriend.

Question: Does god perform miracles?  At all?  Does he make cancer go into remission, for example, or give a woman strength to lift a car off her baby?

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Jesus completely denied his biological family to focus on his spiritual family.
Can you explain to me why this is a good thing?  As far as we know, this is the only life we get, but let's cast aside our loved ones to concentrate on something that cannot be shown to exist(spirit/soul) to make sure it goes to a place that cannot be shown to exist(heaven).  Nice.

If Jesus gave you your arms and legs back you would use them to sin more.
What a horrible God you worship.  Really.  Besides, isn't that the point of free will?  By NOT giving back someone's limbs, God is therefore taking away that person's free will to choose to live his/her life however they wish.  If God existed, it would be a hypocrite.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
Jesus completely denied his biological family to focus on his spiritual family.
Can you explain to me why this is a good thing?  As far as we know, this is the only life we get, but let's cast aside our loved ones to concentrate on something that cannot be shown to exist(spirit/soul) to make sure it goes to a place that cannot be shown to exist(heaven).  Nice.

Good point.
I've never really explored this aspect of christianity, but it makes for an interesting sidetrack.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:33:33 PM by MadBunny »
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
The reason God doesn't "heal" amputees is because healing is spiritual not physical.

That's really not the issue the videos and the web site bring up;

If the Bible is correct, amputees getting restored limbs and other supernatural miracles should be scattered along the landscape just like confetti after a parade.

Why is that?  Let's take a look at a summary of what the videos actually explain;

1. The Christian Bible has promises in it.

2. The promises are said to be kept in ambiguous situations.

3. The promises are not kept in unambiguous situations, such as but not limited to amputees.

What promises?  The web site's author mentions some of them;

You can see that the amputee experiment reframes our conversation. No longer are we talking about "religion" or "faith" or "God's existence". What we are talking about here is the basic human ability to process factual information. Jesus makes a number of promises about prayer in the Bible:

* If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. [Matthew 21:21]

* If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. [John 14:14]

* Ask, and it will be given you. [Matthew 7:7]

* Nothing will be impossible to you. [Matthew 17:20]

* Believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. [Mark 11:24]

Are Jesus' promises true or false? By looking at amputees we can see that they are false. Jesus/God never answer prayers to spontaneously restore lost limbs, despite the promises in the Bible.

If you are a believer, and if this is the first time you have thought about the situation faced by amputees seriously, you may have a set of rationalizations and excuses swirling through your head right now.

So, what can we say is possible based on comparing the promises made in the Christian Bible to the what we see in reality?  A few potential conclusions come to mind;

1. The book is wrong, but the Christian deity exists.

2. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book though it could.

3. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book because it can't.

4. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because the Christian deity doesn't exist.

5. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities don't honor what they did not sign up for.

6. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities do honor similar promises to those who pray to them or offer some other communication or gift as a bribe for the miracle.  (Example: Hindu miracles.)

I'm going with #4.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer