Author Topic: 10 questions [#276]  (Read 285 times)

Offline DL

10 questions [#276]
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »

Hi there,

I am a Christian and was challenged by your 10 questions video. I appreciated the tone and respectfulness in your presentation (rare among people who have differing views).

I was wondering if any of your material or website comments on the fact that most cultures in the world have a belief in a higher power of some sort? I hear what you are saying about it being a delusion, but I don't see an explanation for what Pascal called a "God shaped vacuum" in each of us. Why would our natural state long for a delusion?

Just wondering your views on that.
Thanks,
[name]
[email]

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: 10 questions [#276]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »
Why would our natural state long for a delusion?
Our "natural state"? Are you saying babies believe in God?

We are all born atheists. All religious ideas put into our minds are purely cultural; all similarities between religions are due to mixing cultures (which is why Islam and Christianity are fairly similar, whereas Asian religions are very different).
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 questions [#276]
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:50:44 AM »
I know quite a bit about that, but it's not as narrow as you propose.  There isn't a 'god shaped vacuum' or hole as much as there are more general drives and impulses that push us in specific directions.  Along with that is our physiology, primarily our neuroanatomy.

Do you want to discuss some of this?  If so, in what direction?  Cultural anthropology?  Ancient archaeology?  Psychology?  Anatomy?  Biology?   ...?

If not, and you have a non-Christian or non-standard Christian point of view, why not place your vote in the forums for what your religious position is?  For me, I'm an agnostic atheist; I don't know for a fact that there are no gods, but I believe there are none.

What is your religious position?
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=833
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer