Author Topic: What can we inherently never know? (science defines knowledge limitations)  (Read 471 times)

Offline rickymooston

Science tells us LOTS of things but it also defines LIMITS on what we CAN know
1) The hiesenberg uncertainty principle says there is a limit to how well we can measure/predict a particles motion. Measurement is destructive. (There are also some wierd quantum effects; I have to confess my understand of his principle assumes a newtonian understanding ...)
2)  The big bang has the concept of a singlularity. Prior to this point, we assert we CANNOT see the effects of what happened "before". We even go far to say that time before that point UNEXISTS!!!
3) Goedel showed that we cannot make an "incomplete" consistent, finite axiom system for number theory.
4) There exist irrational numbers we cannot even represent as a closed form expression using finite symbols. (Prove simular to Goedel)
5) Recently, an astronomer claimed that in the future, (millions years hence) we will be unable to deduce the big bang from cosmic observations.

What other limitations can you think of to our human knowledge. Inherent ones?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline unus vox

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Now 95% atheist.
What a woman is thinking.

Ok, seriously though, great thread. I'd like to see others' responses.
I recognize my hypocrisy and ignorance. Now, let's get on with this.