Author Topic: Amputation [#1856]  (Read 874 times)

Offline DL

Amputation [#1856]
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »
I read the info on your website.  It was rather interesting.  I do have
a question though.  Isn't amputation a procedure to help one heal? 
Also where do stand on the development of modern medicine being
answered prayers from ancient times?

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
Re: Amputation [#1856]
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
okay thats an oxymoron if i ever saw one, modern medicine and praying... oh boy
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
Why did god wait so long for medicine to figure out how to heal the way it does?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
Isn't amputation a procedure to help one heal? 

I wouldn't consider it as such, no.
A friend of mine was born with legs so badly mangled that they had to be amputated at birth. That's not really a healing; it's just a...removal.

I'd consider that a rationalization. As Emily already pointed out, why wait so long to "answer" the prayer?
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline DI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »
Why did god wait so long for medicine to figure out how to heal the way it does?

you think with all his power he would have given his son a brief lesson in germ theory so he could fill us in.
"As I have previously stated, the middle east has been extensively excavated, and there is no evidence of the Exodus.  No Exodus, no chosen people.  No chosen people, no messiah.  No messiah, no resurrection.  No resurrection, no god."

-Odin

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »

Amputation is simply a procedure that occurs after no miracle happened to save the limb.

This notion is disrespectful to the medical scientists who dedicate their lives and effort to the research. 
It's also hugely disrespectful to the people and families affected by illness for which no cures are available yet, or affected by the side-effects of cures, or simply do not have physical or financial access to cures.
Git mit uns

Offline PinkMilk

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
Amputation is a process that is done to prevent someone from dying, or becoming even more ill, or to attempt to help aid that person in functioning.  It's not healing at all. 

I don't stand anywhere on that issue.  It is absurd. 
I can see where your coming from but on the other hand i dont want my kid to learn about evolution or see homosexualisom talked about in a scince classs ethier. <-- From Youguysarepathetic

At least I have a mother. Have you? (serious question) <---From Skylark889

Offline L6

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ignostic
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
I read the info on your website.  It was rather interesting.  I do have a question though.  Isn't amputation a procedure to help one heal? 
Who needs evidence of regrown limbs when 99% of people who pray for an amputation get one, right?

Also where do stand on the development of modern medicine being answered prayers from ancient times?
Aside from a modern miracle doing no good for those in ancient times, you mean?
God's existence is contingent upon the illusion that morality is dictated by religious authority.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »

You are in error and a quick look at a dictionary would prevent that.  Look up farm equpiment accidents, IED explosions, etc.  All involve the traumatic removal of a limb, digit, etc. 

God sure must have hated those people between oh, 500 BC and the 21st century by only getting around to having people invent medine only in the last hundred or so years (that was actually based on reality).   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
Also where do stand on the development of modern medicine being answered prayers from ancient times?

That doesn't even make sense.  People made medicine, so people get credit.  It's a bit rude to have a double bypass not thank the doctors and the people who made the effort over the span of centuries to learn what those doctors needed to do the job.  Meanwhile where was any deity during those centuries?  Even if you insist that it must be given credit now, why does it even deserve props for doing nothing for so long?  Was it unable to do anything till the moment before some human figured it out?

That's not what the videos or the web site discusses.

Here's a summary;

1. The Christian Bible has promises in it.

2. The promises are said to be kept in ambiguous situations.

3. The promises are not kept in unambiguous situations, such as but not limited to amputees.

What promises?  The web site's author mentions some of them;

You can see that the amputee experiment reframes our conversation. No longer are we talking about "religion" or "faith" or "God's existence". What we are talking about here is the basic human ability to process factual information. Jesus makes a number of promises about prayer in the Bible:

* If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. [Matthew 21:21]

* If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. [John 14:14]

* Ask, and it will be given you. [Matthew 7:7]

* Nothing will be impossible to you. [Matthew 17:20]

* Believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. [Mark 11:24]

Are Jesus' promises true or false? By looking at amputees we can see that they are false. Jesus/God never answer prayers to spontaneously restore lost limbs, despite the promises in the Bible.

If you are a believer, and if this is the first time you have thought about the situation faced by amputees seriously, you may have a set of rationalizations and excuses swirling through your head right now.

So, what can we say is possible based on comparing the promises made in the Christian Bible to the what we see in reality?  A few potential conclusions come to mind;

1. The book is wrong, but the Christian deity exists.

2. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book though it could.

3. The book was right, but the Christian deity no longer honors the book because it can't.

4. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because the Christian deity doesn't exist.

5. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities don't honor what they did not sign up for.

6. The book is not relevant to the questions it raises because some other deity or deities exist, not the Christian one, and that deity or deities do honor similar promises to those who pray to them or offer some other communication or gift as a bribe for the miracle.  (Example: Hindu miracles.)

I'm going with #4.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:02:35 AM »

I just worked it out. The word is spelt h-e-a-l, not heel (you got it right in this post, but obviously you christians have been getting it wrong in your prayers).

I think our Mailbag's christian content is proof of your human err'd prayer being answered.            ...........You are still sick, as well as being a heel.

My only answer for you and you other god-inventionists is ....................."time wounds all heels".
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise