Author Topic: The Top 10 Reasons Why the Bible is Repulsive [#1838]  (Read 412 times)

Offline DL

The Top 10 Reasons Why the Bible is Repulsive [#1838]
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »
[This letter refers to this video: ]

Ok, concerning the part with just walmart and working on sunday?

Remember in the Bible where the religious leaders caught the woman in the act of adultery? Rightfully, the law of Moses stated she was to be stoned to death. Following.

Now how can Jesus, being God's Son, being without sin PERFECTLY keep the law that REQUIRES Him to agree to stone her, and yet let her go free? Leviticus 20:10 states she and her man were to be killed. PERIOD!

The answer is found in several places, but the story of the woman is found in John Ch 8, and the part I speak of is VERY important. In John 8:11 she calls Him her LORD. By doing so, she confessed Him as Messiah. Lastly, HE DIED IN HER PLACE AT THE CROSS.

Please be reminded of John 3:16. "God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotton Son, that whosoever BELIEVES IN HIM shall not perish, but have life eternal."

John 3:16 says it best, it is by FAITH in Christ, Romans 5:1 as well.

LASTLY, PLEASE familiarize yourself with Matthew 23, but especially Matthew 23:23!

The idea of all the stonings and other such punishments by the Law Of Moses is meant to portray our weakness and how we deserve death. Also, anything associated with death such as a dead body was to be treated as an abomination to be avoided at ALL COSTS!

But when people failed to keep the Law Of Moses (BTW, that's everyone daily) they were to use the sacrificial system, and with the threat of death looming over your head for not keeping the sabbath it was a GREAT IDEA to atone. The sacrificial system may seem cruel and the truth is that it actually was. Taking a defenseless lamb and just completely destroying it is VERY INHUMANE to do, but it's like that for a reason. God condones this behavior to show a typology of things to come.

See? The lamb is Jesus, and He's being killed for the sins YOU committed! You are basically passing the buck (figuratively of course) to the lamb(Jesus) and the lamb suffers the death YOU deserve for being sinful.

Now when Jesus died on the cross, just like the lambs, He became our sacrifice for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD! And the cool thing is that all we need do is trust in Him, John 3:16-17.

God didn't send His Son to condemn us, but to SAVE US!

Please, do not make any more video's about a book you cannot even begin to understand.

My last suggestion, go to Jimmy Swaggart's website and buy a "Crossfire Study Bible". It only costs about 40$ and virtually EVERY scripture is backed up with an explanation as to what it's talking about.

Example: In Job Ch 39:9, there's mention of a unicorn. Now this is where people start saying the Bible is just a fairy tale. But here's the truth. IT'S TALKING ABOUT A WILD BULL! In the old Hebrew language, the word 'unicorn' is "re-em" meaning "wild bull"

Also, another example is Deut 14:11. Most translations use the word fowl to describe a bird, but to the ancient hebrew people who wrote the Bible the words 'fowl of the air" is listed as H-5774 in a hebrew dictionary as "up", which means to have a covering of wings.

Please, stop poking fun at a book you cannot understand. II Peter 3:5 says something interesting! Try figuring it out!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: The Top 10 Reasons Why the Bible is Repulsive [#1838]
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
God did not send anybody.  He is imaginary.  You are a delusional slave to a zombie god.  Very sad.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Seeker

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Seeking the truth
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »

In the OT there is no afterlife, no Heaven, no Hell.  Please read it if you don't believe me.  In the OT, when you died, you were dead. Period.  Hell in the OT is Sheol, which translates to "grave" or simply "dead."   

Then, according to Christianity, God sent his son to tell us that from now on there will be a Heaven for those who believe the right things, and a Hell for those that don't. 

How can you say that God "saved" those who decided that they didn't believe?  Prior to Jesus' arrival they simply died; now they are to suffer eternal torment in a pool of fire (actually the Bible doesn't say this, but it's what Christians seem to believe).  In any event, how can Christians claim that Jesus "saved" those who would have been better off, and who would have preferred, to have simply remained dead?

The problem with Christianity in my opinion, is the belief in Hell because it creates so much fear and torment and psychosis in our society.  If Christians can come to understand that there is no Hell, I think it will have a big impact on their ability to think rationally since they won't be living in fear of Hell (and other Christians). 

As a former Republican, I believed in the war on terror and the war in Iraq, but after almost 8 years of fear mongering, I realized that we weren't thinking rationally because of that fear, and as a result we gave up a lot of freedoms and rights that we had before we all became afraid.  Now the scales may have tipped so far in favor of an abusive government that we may not be able to recover unless and until we experience some sort of cataclysmic event (collapse of the economy, revolution, class warfare, etc.). 

Fear is a bad thing.  That makes Christianity a bad thing, because it's all held together by fear.

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another is essential to your own.  Does God love us?

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
OP, you said a lot of things that would need addressing, but let's just focus on one thing at a time here.

Why on earth would I find it a good thing that an innocent man is killed for a crime (sin) I committed? I find it disgusting that Christianity would parade this around like it's something good. If someone does wrong, they deserve to make good for their crime. It's about personal responsibility. It doesn't matter if Jesus was willing to do it. If a good friend of mine committed a murder and I said, "Hey, let me take the lethal injection for you because I love you too much!", would the victim's family be very happy about that? I vote no.

So please don't tell me how wonderful it is that an innocent person was slaughtered for my alleged crime. That's disgusting.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »
My last suggestion, go to Jimmy Swaggart's website and buy a "Crossfire Study Bible". It only costs about 40$ and virtually EVERY scripture is backed up with an explanation as to what it's talking about.

Impressive.

Evangelism, and a spend money get to heaven deal   .............on an atheist forum.

Ah!!!!!! ...............the stylings of a true christian.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »
The idea that god sacrificed himself to himself because of his rules is ridiculous.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline OneLeggedKate

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • resident amputee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:19:39 AM »
Here's what I need to do, according to you

I am a mom. I created life, a few times actually. They were born with this free will thing. Now I need to make them realize that since I am the 'creator' I brought them into this world, I can take them OUT!(to quote Bill Cosby) They had better follow the rules, or I can smite em, but GOOD....That would make me a murderer in every country in the world, so far as I know. NOt to mention, what a sick sick thought to even consider.

GOD is a mass murderer, i.e. the flood, and no thank you, I don't care to emulate that. And I sure as HELL wouldn't consider sacrificing one of them for ANYONE. Own your screw ups. Everyone. I can't stand all the sacrificial crap in the bible, and it's all over the place. It makes my skin crawl.
Three out of Four aint Bad!

Offline alihaymeg

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:38:01 AM »
In the OT there is no afterlife, no Heaven, no Hell.  Please read it if you don't believe me.  In the OT, when you died, you were dead. Period.  Hell in the OT is Sheol, which translates to "grave" or simply "dead." 

Absolutely right.

The problem with Christianity in my opinion, is the belief in Hell because it creates so much fear and torment and psychosis in our society.  If Christians can come to understand that there is no Hell, I think it will have a big impact on their ability to think rationally since they won't be living in fear of Hell (and other Christians).

Doubly right.

Fear is a bad thing.  That makes Christianity a bad thing, because it's all held together by fear.

Only the fundamentalist view of Christianity is driven by fear. That is quickly changing. Religion is a bad thing because it elevates specific dogmatic ideas to the level of belief. There is no Heaven or Hell in the Biblical texts. It was put there intentionally in the earliest English translations.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
Now when Jesus died on the cross, just like the lambs, He became our sacrifice for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD! And the cool thing is that all we need do is trust in Him, John 3:16-17.

Please, do not make any more video's about a book you cannot even begin to understand.

Us?  No.  I do find it interesting that you stopped at John 3:17.  What's wrong with the rest of it?  Let's take a look;

John 3:16-22 (New International Version)
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=%20John%203:16-22&version=NIV

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

'Follow me or be damned -- because you are evil and anything good is because of me only.'  What a pal!  It's a good thing your deity is imaginary.

What blows my mind is that Christians frequently quote John 3:16 as you do, frequently claiming it is softness and light, but ignore what follows.  To me, this passage as a whole speaks of cronyism, bigotry, and automatic condemnation of those who don't follow a very narrow dogma.  John 3:16 is a velvet glove wrapping an iron fist used to stamp neurons, leaving deep and fuzzy thinking in it's wake.

So, before you start making demands and claim it is us that don't know what we are talking about, why don't you deal with reality and clean up your own mess; deal with the bad actions your fellow Christians do vigorously in the name of your religion that cause so many problems in this real world not your dogmatic one where you think quoting your book means a damn as an argument.

I'll make you a deal.  If you help me, I'll work towards removing the videos as you requested.  If you do not, I will chalk up your comments to some of that fuzzy thinking I mentioned earlier.

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

My question to you is not what you believe, but what are you doing about the acts your fellow Christians perform in the name of Christianity that spread hate, bigotry, ignorance, pain, and death?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline alihaymeg

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »
Great post Hermes and you are absolutely right.

'Follow me or be damned -- because you are evil and anything good is because of me only.'  What a pal!  It's a good thing your deity is imaginary.

This is the only point of contention. The passage does not speak of damnation. It does speak of condemnation which is not the sentence but the verdict. It is only inferred while staring through the lens of "eternal punishment" that this refers to our modern understanding of Hell. It’s still a great post though. Stick it to em’!

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:44 PM »
I will never understand how animal (or human) blood could have magical power to wash away something that cannot even be shown to exist in the first place.   An omnimax god can't come up with another way to remove this magical stain on our invisible soul?  It's pathetic really. 

Quote from: Ashe
So please don't tell me how wonderful it is that an innocent person was slaughtered for my alleged crime. That's disgusting.
Precisely.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
[ Tips hat to Alihaymeg ]
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer