Author Topic: You don't beleive in Jesus... [#1776]  (Read 421 times)

Offline DL

You don't beleive in Jesus... [#1776]
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »

BUT, you want Jesus to physically appear in front of you????? You are contradicting yourself.

Hebrews 11:6 Without faith it is impossible to please Him...

Take care my friend!

Ps. I could say, "God if you love me, make a big pile of money appear in my house"...it didn't appear, so I guess God doesn't love me.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: You don't beleive in Jesus... [#1776]
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »
BUT, you want Jesus to physically appear in front of you????? You are contradicting yourself.

Not at all.  Let's be honest.  If you are a Christian, then it is your book.  As such, the questions are to you not to any non-Christians.

So, tell me, why doesn't your religious book hold up to even the most basic of questions?  Why isn't it logically consistent with itself, let alone when it matters in the case of reality?

Yet, that was not necessary 'back in the day', nor is it what other passages of the Christian book says.  Again, I ask you, why isn't it consistent with itself or reality?

To add to that, if you have an answer, would you accept the same type of answer from a Hindu?  A Muslim?  From a local shaman?

I expect you to dismiss this and provide no answer.  This expectation comes from my experience that few Christians have actually educated themselves about their religion beyond what their pastors or priests have instructed them on, and even fewer have thought about the religious beliefs of others and taken them as seriously as their own.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
If you actually look at the dates of the writings of the bible it would almost appear that no one  really believed in Jesus until around 50AD since there is no record of him before that. Supposing Jesus did die in 33AD there is absolutely no written record mentioning him that corresponds to the time that Jesus lived.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:33:33 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »
do you believe in raptor jesus ?
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »
do you believe in raptor jesus ?

i do. RaptorJesus just posted the above quote.  :D
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Pastafarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
I could say, "God if you love (there are no conditions to god answering prayer) me Mary, make a big pile of money appear in my house arm appear where there is none, like you told us to ask"...it didn't appear, so I guess God doesn't love me exist, I'm afraid :(.

Fixed it for you.
Don't pin that on jesus! He has enough nail holes as it is - House

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

The question is directed towards Christians who believe Jesus does exist.  Why doesn't your imaginary friend appear if you ask him?  I'm guessing the answer is NEFS (Not Enough Faith Syndrome).  If not, perhaps it's God shouldn't be tested.  Read 1 Kings 18 and you will see that Baal tested God, and he delivered.

I prefer evidence and rationality over believing in something without evidence.  Faith is a wonderful way to trick people into doing things they wouldn't otherwise do.  Men have used faith as a way to achieve negative things that wouldn't happen if people were rational.  Look at all the faithful heros of the bible.  They were mass-murderers and rapists, as well as misogynistic, homophobic, slaveholders.  I don't see faith bringing too many good results.  What about those parents who were so faithful, they didn't send their kids to the hospital as they believed God would heal them of their sickness and disease?  I'd say if a parent was willing to keep their sick children home and pray it away, they must really have some serious faith!  Sounds like they align more with the bible than the millions of Christians who are in hospitals right now as I speak.

Ps. I could say, "God if you love me, make a big pile of money appear in my house"...it didn't appear, so I guess God doesn't love me.

I'd say there's a big difference between need and want.  Surely God healing amputees would be more beneficial than spawning a big pile of money.