Author Topic: A fine tuned universe.  (Read 13633 times)

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
Re: A fine tuned universe.
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
I love uni!  It took me a while to muster the courage to try it, but wow!

If pre-fab food was so readily available from a designer, why did humans waste all those millennia hunting and gathering?  Was holding bananas ever really so imperative that our hands should be designed especially to do this, even at the expense of all the other beneficial tasks they could be designed for?
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • That's right. A red X. yaaay.
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
I understand where they are coming from, but it does not prove a thing. It is however an interesting coincidence.

Cows are also good to eat, but they do not have a convenient pull open tab.

I was not defending the Kirk Cameron bunch. Apes eat bananas too. Anything that fit's so well into your hand and smells so good would be quite appetizing to a primitive human.

My point is that they do not take it further and stop short of fully explaining themselves. This discredits them even more. In a way I do agree with them, but their approach is silly at best.

I mean, the same could be said about our lungs being "designed" to absorb oxygen into our blood. 
You can't prove it either way so you have to make a choice.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »
I like how the male prostate gland is "designed" to swell up in later years and turn cancerous, necessitating risky and painful surgery that can lead to impotence and/or incontinence.  Go God!
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
I love uni!  It took me a while to muster the courage to try it, but wow!

If pre-fab food was so readily available from a designer, why did humans waste all those millennia hunting and gathering?  Was holding bananas ever really so imperative that our hands should be designed especially to do this, even at the expense of all the other beneficial tasks they could be designed for?

I haven't worked up the courage to try it, what does it like? I love other types of sushi.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »
I understand where they are coming from, but it does not prove a thing. It is however an interesting coincidence.

I was not defending the Kirk Cameron bunch. Apes eat bananas too. Anything that fit's so well into your hand and smells so good would be quite appetizing to a primitive human.

My point is that they do not take it further and stop short of fully explaining themselves. This discredits them even more. In a way I do agree with them, but their approach is silly at best.

I mean, the same could be said about our lungs being "designed" to absorb oxygen into our blood. 

wild bananas aren't so appealing  ;D

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Facts are meaningless.  You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

-Homer Simpson

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »

wild bananas aren't so appealing  ;D

Ewww. Funny too. Clap clap.  :D

So the ones we have now are not wild natural ones? Makes sense actually.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »
Facts are meaningless.  You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

-Homer Simpson

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
I haven't worked up the courage to try it, what does it like? I love other types of sushi.

It's creamy and cold, about the consistency of pudding.  It has a savory, slight shellfish flavor but very subtle, not strong.  Hard to describe.  I've never tasted anything like it.  Put all preconceptions out of mind and try it as a completely new experience.  You won't be sorry!  Report back to us when you are in ecstasy :)

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
Nihilanth,

This is a remarkably ignorant statement.  You should refrain from saying things like this.  You have no reason to think you possess enough knowledge to make this statement.  You know you have insufficient life sciences background to make such a declaration, so why don't you just back down now?  I'm holding the door open for you to take a step back and recognize that you are simply repeating something you may have heard somewhere else, but that you don't really have the understanding necessary to back it up.  I suggest you take this opportunity.

Since I'm re-quoting, I'll go ahead and throw back to this one, which just got demonstrated true again.

Quote from: nihilanth
Durrr.  I'm going to talk about bananas and human morphology, even though I really don't know anything about either one.  I like talking.

Quote from: nihilanth
Durrr.  I'm going to talk about the effect of chemicals on living things, even though I really don't know anything about chemistry or biology.  I like talking.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:50:16 PM by Davedave »

Offline CosmicScherzo

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • What would Jesus brew?
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »

It's creamy and cold, about the consistency of pudding.  It has a savory, slight shellfish flavor but very subtle, not strong.  Hard to describe.  I've never tasted anything like it.  Put all preconceptions out of mind and try it as a completely new experience.  You won't be sorry!  Report back to us when you are in ecstasy :)

It also looks like a yellow tongue.  I'd describe the flavor as deep, mild, and buttery.
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Offline Shakaib

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »
I think God created the Universe, even the Bible says it.

"In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth" (BANG!)

[Genesis 1:1]

Simple

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »

Simple

What a terrific and compelling post.  You have added so much to this conversation that every forum member should come and thank you for it. You have enriched all of our lives significantly.  We owe you a debt of gratitiude.

What other stupid, unsupportable and biased opinions would you be willing to share with us?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

Simple

What a terrific and compelling post.  You have added so much to this conversation that every forum member should come and thank you for it. You have enriched all of our lives significantly.  We owe you a debt of gratitiude.

What other stupid, unsupportable and biased opinions would you be willing to share with us?

Well at least I am not the only one you are rude and insulting to Screwtape. Thanks for not singleing me out.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
You're not worth singling out, sheeple.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »
Crawl back into your hole DaveDave. Like I have said, even your own kind do not like you.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
They don't like you either.  Should that matter?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
You're not worth singling out, sheeple.

Hope the irony in this statement is intensional.  ;D
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2008, 02:47:35 PM »
Well at least I am not the only one you are rude and insulting to Screwtape. Thanks for not singleing me out.

Do you think that post was worthy of respect, steve?  If so, why?  What did it add to the conversation?

As I've said before, steve, I do not actually have a grudge against you.  That is only in your mind.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

Do you think that post was worthy of respect, steve?  If so, why?  What did it add to the conversation?

As I've said before, steve, I do not actually have a grudge against you.  That is only in your mind.

Then I apologize for the misunderstanding. You do certainly appear rude though. However, after considerable thought, maybe it's just a personality clash, or cultural difference.

I have no interest in any conflict with you.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »

Simple

I think a cow licking ice/sex between deities/wiggling snake-deity created the universe 'cause a story says it was so.  Do you now understand how your story is no different than these?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »

Simple

I think a cow licking ice/sex between deities/wiggling snake-deity created the universe 'cause a story says it was so.  Do you now understand how your story is no different than these?

I am not shakaib, but I feel comfortable speaking for him on this question. 

No.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Shakaib

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2008, 05:26:23 AM »
Even the Qur'an says god made the universe:

"He created the Heavens and the Earth from nothing". And very Scientifically said too.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

"He created the Heavens and the Earth from nothing". And very Scientifically said too.

What do you mean "even"? 

How is that "scientifically" said?

You represent your stupid religion only slightly better than amro fadly when you say things like this.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »

even the "fill-in-the-blank with any holy book" says that "x" deity made the universe.  Until you can show me where the Qu'ran says anything about accretion, radioactive heating, etc, your claim that is is "scientific" is nonsense.   Anyone can claim that their holy book is "scientific" when they say that a myth is "really" scientific words disguised by their invisible friend.   

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »

even the "fill-in-the-blank with any holy book" says that "x" deity made the universe.  Until you can show me where the Qu'ran says anything about accretion, radioactive heating, etc, your claim that is is "scientific" is nonsense.   Anyone can claim that their holy book is "scientific" when they say that a myth is "really" scientific words disguised by their invisible friend.   

So all the archaeological digs that were done because of the bible should just be ignored then? Guess what? It does not have to fit your definition of "science."

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »
So all the archaeological digs that were done because of the bible should just be ignored then? Guess what? It does not have to fit your definition of "science."

So you're agreeing with Shakaib that the Quran is scientific?  How broad-minded of you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »

That is quite a leap, Pos, to go from what velkyn said - holy books do not accurately describe anything scientific - to what you said.  That is a giant non sequitur.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »

So you're agreeing with Shakaib that the Quran is scientific?  How broad-minded of you.

There are all kinds of mathematical truths in the Quran. Plenty of scientific truths in the bible as well. I just call it how I see it.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:42:47 AM by nihilanth »