Author Topic: religion and the paranormal  (Read 1013 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
religion and the paranormal
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:36:19 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26268698/
Monsters are everywhere these days, and belief in them is as strong as ever. What's harder to believe is why so many people buy into hazy evidence, shady schemes and downright false reports that perpetuate myths that often have just one ultimate truth: They put money in the pockets of their purveyors.

Replace "Monsters" with "religion" and the fundamental truth of it does not change.

It turns out religion and paranormal beliefs hold the same place in the brain, so to speak.

The bottom line, according to several interviews with people who study these things: People want to believe, and most simply can't help it.

"Many people quite simply just want to believe," said Brian Cronk, a professor of psychology at Missouri Western State University. "The human brain is always trying to determine why things happen, and when the reason is not clear, we tend to make up some pretty bizarre explanations."

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jjolove187

Re: religion and the paranormal
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
And the believers close their minds completely and dismiss all opposing information and people. That is the dangerous part. I used to be one of them, but opening my mind to learning more has benefited me tremendously.

I had a friend who recently ended communications with me when I shared my opinions about his belief. ;D
It's pretty funny because it seems he has limited his contacts to only those who share his belief.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
Me too. ^^ All of it.

I talked with this guy that had been a great friend for about an hour. He's smart, and when i told him, he started going through the typical arguments. We ticked them off like flicking ants of the handle of your picnic basket. With each one, he realized his argument failed, so he'd go to the next. Finally, at the end, he seemed angry, sad, and resigned. He was like "Hmmm.. I guess that's it, then.. I still love you and this won't affect our friendship in any way."

For the past year i've tried to get in touch with him about half a dozen times. Nary a word.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:49 AM »
Me too. ^^ All of it.

I talked with this guy that had been a great friend for about an hour. He's smart, and when i told him, he started going through the typical arguments. We ticked them off like flicking ants of the handle of your picnic basket. With each one, he realized his argument failed, so he'd go to the next. Finally, at the end, he seemed angry, sad, and resigned. He was like "Hmmm.. I guess that's it, then.. I still love you and this won't affect our friendship in any way."

For the past year i've tried to get in touch with him about half a dozen times. Nary a word.

It sounds like you represent something too scary for him to face.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
I really don't like chrisitanity myself, but just to play devil's advocate (Ha);

Sure it wasn't intolerance on your part? I love a good relgious debate but push too far and your freinds will feel your ridiculing their beleifs. Regardless of what you think of them those beliefs are important to them. And some people will never shake them.

Also be careful about going to far in closing your own mind. Weird things happen. Why disclaim it before you do the research? How many sceintific breakthrughs where made by examing the impossible or crazy?

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
It sounds like you represent something too scary for him to face.

Yep. He's certainly as smart as me, and has always been willing to consider his faith. Perhaps his courage is lacking. (For which there may be many reasons, and in my case, i sort of lucked out in many ways.)

He understood how each of his arguments failed, and had nothing in the end but his "faith", which, of course, is useless for decision making.

Offline VSR

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »
It's sad but true. People want to desperately believe in something, or any kind of nonsense proof that makes their belief real.
It reminds me of when someone saw the virgin Mary in a tortilla.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
~Neil Peart~

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »
How did she taste?

Offline VSR

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
Come on Vynn you know they didn't eat her! They put her in a frame and charged people to see her!
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
~Neil Peart~

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
Watch countdown on MSNBC. Jesus or the virgin show up on something at least one a month. Countdown runs them on the oddball segment. Always good for a laugh.