Author Topic: YouTube Video (praise) [#255]  (Read 406 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
YouTube Video (praise) [#255]
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »
This message is directed to the genius behind GllVideo.

I'm not sure how to begin really. I've been an atheist for a long time, I guess my whole
life technically. Although, at troubling spots in my childhood I tried futilely to "pray"
for God to help me out, as most uneducated people do, just like a child seeking an adult
to make a problem go away.

I was surprised to see what support I saw in the comments portion of the 10 Questions
video page on YouTube. I'm sure 99% of what you get is senseless ignorance given ASCII
form.

The questions you have given are, as you proved, so impossibly direct that to attempt to
use religion to explain them sounds ridiculous. I have been asking these same types of
questions to religious types for years. Some very crucial ones I have added in my
arguments are:

If God sought a utopian society, and everything was created by God, why did he create sin
and why does he allow it to persist?
-This one of course is answered by some nonsense like "God is testing you, you must prove
yourself to God". However, from that response several new questions spring fourth
including Why does God need to test humans if he makes us all, why not make everyone
perfect, why design anyone with any sort of flaw? And why does God need to create people,
if for any reason other than his own amusement? But if God is all powerful he must know
every end, everything before it happens. Of course this sort of thing goes on into
infinity and that alone proves that God cannot exist.

If God knows all, how was Satan able to "betray" God?
-Shouldn't this one have been foreseen? Shouldn't God have prevented it before he even
made Satan? The only answers given here are complete on-the-spot nonsense.

If God is all powerful, why does he 'allow' Satan/sin to exist?
-Surely he could instantly purge the world of this, his greatest opposition and the one
concept (sin) that he so direly opposes.

I believe that religion will be phased out in the future. Just as Greek mythology, Indian
beliefs/rituals and every other craze has. Unfortunately for me, you and the rest of the
intelligent world this change will probably happen slowly over the next few centuries. I
believe religion is the only thing holding us back from making the more obvious
scientific advances: stem cell research, cloning, genetic engineering, and holding us
back as well as a society of human intelligence. Religion really was created only in the
absence of logical science to explain things, and now that science can explain most
things religious people are unwilling to evolve.

The saddest thing to see is that most religious people are brainwashed today from
childhood. Children are so impressionable, their parents are their superheroes. Now they
grow up clinging to their childhood beliefs, akin to fairytales, drilling the same words
into their offspring. Luckily for me, I was not "taught" anything. My parents rarely
spoke of religion, never went to church and freely allowed me to do and be whoever I want
to be.

A boy at my school heard my brother (older by 10 years) is a homosexual and apologized to
me for it. This is the folly of our elders, and the strife of our race.

I recently turned 17, however these ideas have existed in me for years. Thanks for making
YouTube 90% useless garbage, 5% hilarious material, 4% music videos and less than 1%
intelligent debate. I hope to hear back from you.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: YouTube Video (praise) [#255]
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »
I'm not someone who made the videos, I'm just a member of the discussion forums here.

If you want to drop on by, feel free -- lots of atheists here!

As for the videos, you'd be stunned how the answers to the 10 questions video tend to be the same time after time after time ... and all the same nonsense.  Most of the responses assume that god exists and is all good ... and then ignore the questions as if they don't matter! 

I've explained the videos countless times and many folks never get it ... or they get angry after realizing they have no real answer.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer