Author Topic: Absolutely "must see" movie!  (Read 6246 times)

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Absolutely "must see" movie!
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
Velkyn, don't be so hard on her. It takes a while to make stuff up.

Good stories don't just spring out of thin air, ya know!  ;D
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
Velkyn, don't be so hard on her. It takes a while to make stuff up.

Good stories don't just spring out of thin air, ya know!  ;D

Indeed. One must take time to think oneself ever-so clever and make up things. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline mommykicksbutt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Rubbing the religious raw, one theist at a time
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2009, 04:00:51 AM »
I'm really enjoying the bantering with Agent40 thinking she has all the answers because her dogmatic Catholicism tells her so.  Yet she forgets that most of us where once in her shoes as believers.  Many of us were guilt-sick fervent catholics, but we discovered a cure (logic and thinking) and we're all better now.  So your comments about "people who don't practice my religion telling me what I believe" crap can stop.  We were once where you are now but we evolved past that.  You'll never be able to see what we can until you open your mind and use it instead of regurgitating that dogmatic crap from the church.  Get down off the cross Honey, someone else needs the wood.

Faith is nice but doubt will get you an education!
Theism: the virus that infects then disables the brain's bullshit detector
Join FFRF.org

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »
That's a good point you bring up, believers often as a last resort will tell me "just try god for a little while and you'll see".  I have tried god and I didn't see.  They need to try not believing for a little while and then perhaps they'll be in a position to make intelligent comments.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline PinkMilk

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
Just saw this thread.  I saw that movie a while ago when it made it's premiere and it was really good.  It was really sad.  I do have to say that while I felt bad for the realization of sigorney weaver's character, I did not feel bad for her.  It was her actions directly that led to the conclusion of the movie. 

That being said, I can see that I'm jumping into this thread rather late, and I perused over the comments, so I do apologize if anything I'm responding to has already been said, but I did not see that it had.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seppuku, you are right. There are a number of different interpretations of natural law, but the underlying message is essentially the same. I like the way G.K. Chesterton explains it.

From G. K. Chesterton from “Brave New Family”:

“When Catholics talk, as they have always talked, about natural law, they mean something which could be better translated into modern English as the human law. They mean the law of mans moral status, as it can be perceived by man’s natural reason, even without supernatural aid. And when they say that contraception is unnatural, they mean it as they mean that sexual perversion is unnatural. That is, it is unnatural in man, and not merely unnatural in nature. It is something which his own instincts, conscience and imaginative foresight tell him is unworthy of his human dignity; not merely something that interferes with what comes form outside, like a shower of rain or a thunderbolt.”

“By the way, the Natural Law does not mean the Law of Nature; which moderns talk bout when they mean the Lawlessness of Nature. It means the truth which Man can perceive even through his own nature; without the supernatural that is above nature. . . . We need not notice the idiots who insist that we must mean noninterference with common external growth; as if no Catholic could cut down a tree.”

If people would follow this simple advice, there is no way we would live in a country that allows mothers to murder their own babies. There is no way we would live in a country that supports engaging in sex outside of marriage. And there is no way we would live in a country that supports homosexual acts.

Why would anyone without the aid of a supernatural being declare that things such as homosexuality is immoral?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a good point you bring up, believers often as a last resort will tell me "just try god for a little while and you'll see".  I have tried god and I didn't see.  They need to try not believing for a little while and then perhaps they'll be in a position to make intelligent comments.

The problem is, that while many atheists have been in the shoes of the believers and do know what they mean and where they come from, it is next to impossible for a believer to step into the shoes of an atheist as they have no clue where an atheist is coming from. 
I can see where your coming from but on the other hand i dont want my kid to learn about evolution or see homosexualisom talked about in a scince classs ethier. <-- From Youguysarepathetic

At least I have a mother. Have you? (serious question) <---From Skylark889

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
The problem is, that while many atheists have been in the shoes of the believers and do know what they mean and where they come from, it is next to impossible for a believer to step into the shoes of an atheist as they have no clue where an atheist is coming from. 

Which is why they need to keep their superstitions to themselves.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
Get down off the cross Honey, someone else needs the wood.
what a perfectly pithy statement.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline essgeeskee

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »
I saw it, and it's really really good!
I like watching LifeTime movies anyway so when this one premiered it was a real treat.
Had me bawlin' like a baby at the end.

I highly recommend to everyone to give this a watch.

I saw it on lifetime too. Good movie!
"Follow your intuition!"