Author Topic: Uhm, er...wow....  (Read 2544 times)

Offline InvisiblePinkUnicorn

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Galileo Gallery
Uhm, er...wow....
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
This is either a VERY sophisticated parody of Christians or this is a sad sad commentary on religion and education.  I guess I am being too optimistic in even considering the former as a real possibility.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVAV09-dQ8[/youtube]
All edits in my posts are for typo correction unless otherwise explicitly stated.

"In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners."

-Jonathon Miller

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
Re: Uhm, er...wow....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »
Doesn't look like a parody.

Sadly.
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »
Too many "uh like....uh you believe like" for me.

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
I couldn't even make it halfway through.  So much ignorance squeezed into so little time...
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline PinkMilk

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »
Wow indeed.

First off that she refers to her white friend as a "regular one" and then refers to the indian girl, as something other than regular.

Then she is so ignorant that she doesn't even know about india.  She says it's an african country in asia.  Then proceeds to ask why she doesn't classify herself as african.

Their ignorance is absolutely astounding.  It seems as if they may be interested in actually listening to her, for a split second, but then they begin to preach to her.  It's like they don't even realize that there are different religions and that hindus don't read the bible. 

dumb dumb teenage girls who think they know everything because god is on their side.

I couldn't finish it.
I can see where your coming from but on the other hand i dont want my kid to learn about evolution or see homosexualisom talked about in a scince classs ethier. <-- From Youguysarepathetic

At least I have a mother. Have you? (serious question) <---From Skylark889

Offline Kaine

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Proud anti theist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
 Wow after finishing this video I found that I was bleeding from my eyes, and ears. Not to mention the nigh uncontrollable urge to scream. I felt so bad for that Indian girl. I don't understand how she didn't fly off the handle on them. It shows she has way more patience for stupidity than I do.
Please pardon any typos as this is being typed on a mobile device, thanks.

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »
"It's really, like, you know, insightful." (Yeah? Not so you'd notice. Can anyone point out an insight?)

India is "like an African country in Asia." I never knew.

When the Indian girl says Hindus don't believe in Jesus (2:47), the girl in the green shirt gets a priceless look on her face. Apparently, this is too much ever for someone as open-minded as she.

This kid is just a walking, talking bag of ignorance.

The kid in the white shirt says, "there's proof, there's so much proof." I guess she didn't think she looked quite enough like a stoner. She had to say something completely clueless to complete the picture.

The scary thing is that in just a couple of years, these dimwits will be able to vote.

I love the little "feeling God" session at the end.

Green shirt says, "I know it's not your fault you're Hindu." How patronizing. Better still is, "I can talk to you, but I don't know if we can be, like, friends." The Indian girl blows them away by simply leaving.

I think we just witnessed the larval stage of a pair of future ignoramuses.
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
Painful.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
This girl could grow up and run for vice-president some day. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ReverendZEgNosis

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ALL YOUR SOUL IS BELONG TO US!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »
AARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The word "god" should be abandoned and a set of non-prejudicial alternatives found. An awful lot of arguments would simply disappear when folk realize they've simply been fighting over etymology.
Puppetmaster - delusion. Theism.
>#! - the sum total: potential, emptiness, being...

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »
What a perfect storm of stupidity... it's amazing how low people will go to prove just how insane their religion is...
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
I'm sort of starting to think she is playacting. She has a couple of other videos...in one she claims that she is pregnant, and holds up a poster that she claims is in her room, with a picture of the Pope, and the words, "The Pill is a No-No" underneath, which seems a bit out there. She later posts another one saying she lied about being pregnant (I didn't watch enough to see how she rationalized it) Also, as much as she stutters and stumbles in her speech, a few of her replies to comments come off as far more sophisticated and older than her apparent years...even with a hint of sarcasm which is totally lacking in the videos.

I vote that she is acting, though I suspect that Indian girl was the unsuspecting brunt of a joke.

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
I couldn't stand to watch more than 2 minutes of it, my children were smarter than that in 4th grade.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Online kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »
...................earlier today I had two friends over.    A regular one, and an Indian one.

Enough said.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline ReverendZEgNosis

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ALL YOUR SOUL IS BELONG TO US!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 07:13:25 AM »
I vote that she is acting, though I suspect that Indian girl was the unsuspecting brunt of a joke.

This was my suspicion too. Poe-haps

'Trouble is that it's not completely OTT - no pythonesque surrealism to give it away and it's no dumber than some of the straight (I'm assuming a lot) chatter seen on this board so the jury's still out.
If it IS genuine, then it's terrifying.
If it's a spoof, it's quite well observed and the acting is remarkable, even by teenage girl standards.

Either way it's scary as hell.
The word "god" should be abandoned and a set of non-prejudicial alternatives found. An awful lot of arguments would simply disappear when folk realize they've simply been fighting over etymology.
Puppetmaster - delusion. Theism.
>#! - the sum total: potential, emptiness, being...

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

This was my suspicion too. Poe-haps

'Trouble is that it's not completely OTT - no pythonesque surrealism to give it away and it's no dumber than some of the straight (I'm assuming a lot) chatter seen on this board so the jury's still out.
If it IS genuine, then it's terrifying.
If it's a spoof, it's quite well observed and the acting is remarkable, even by teenage girl standards.

Either way it's scary as hell.
Yup...I agree. If she is acting, as I suspect, she is a spot-on observer of that clueless mindset. It's mostly the wild discrepancy between her completely rambling, air-headed "Christian" persona and the sharp rejoinders of her written comments (some of which almost read as a wink and nudge) which make me suspect her.

It's entirely possible, of course, that she is for real...as you say, there's nothing surreal about it, and many people (myself among them) communicate more easily in writing than orally, but in her case, the discrepancy is just a bit too pointed for me.

Offline InvisiblePinkUnicorn

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Galileo Gallery
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
Yeah, I raised the possibility of this being a parody in my OP, but MAN she would have to be better than Sasha Baron Cohena nd Andy Kaufman combined to do this THIS well, wouldn't she? 

Sorry for the pain guys, but if real (and based on other stuff like Jesus Camp, I suspect it is) then THIS is what we are up against.
All edits in my posts are for typo correction unless otherwise explicitly stated.

"In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners."

-Jonathon Miller

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
Then she is so ignorant that she doesn't even know about india.  She says it's an african country in asia.

She said that... (I saw...) these people fail at geography... they fail so hard...

Are you serious?

Can someone separate out just a clip of that little part (thorough "why are you so dark" "I think she's lying" and "...and an african person had a baby") and just YTP the shit out of it? Because that's appalling ignorance (specifically 1:10-2:17)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:17:44 PM by Tails_155 »
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »
India is "like an African country in Asia." I never knew.

This is the point where I stoppoed watching, whether or not it's a parody, it's still painful.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Cynic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic atheist (Secular Humanist)
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Made it to 1:38 to bigoted for my taste
At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.
Aldous Huxley

Offline aeriph

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • aeriph short stories
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
i vote that it's a parody. the title at least is OTT

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
I really hope those girls are trolling...but I don't know, the kids in "Jesus Camp" were real...

Offline PinkMilk

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
I sucked it up after all of the people calling parody on it, and watched the rest.  After the 7 minute mark it seems to go a bit over the top with the circle jerk prayer, and then her claiming that if she doesn't convert they can't be friends.  I clicked on her youtube channel and under info it says that she and rachel want to be "funny people".  So There is a part of me that is more open to the idea of this being a parody now.  While  I don't particularly find her ignorance funny, if she is playing at christian ignorance I will give her a bit of kudos for doing so with a straight face, and also for conveying how scary christians can actually be.  If she is intended to be a "funny person" I'd suggest she find a different way to convey her messages about religion or else people will continue to think she is serious.  So is it a parody?  Maybe.  I've sent her a message on youtube in hopes of receiving a response so we can put this to bed.
I can see where your coming from but on the other hand i dont want my kid to learn about evolution or see homosexualisom talked about in a scince classs ethier. <-- From Youguysarepathetic

At least I have a mother. Have you? (serious question) <---From Skylark889

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »
If she is intended to be a "funny person" I'd suggest she find a different way to convey her messages about religion or else people will continue to think she is serious...I've sent her a message on youtube in hopes of receiving a response so we can put this to bed. 

I think that's the whole point of trolling, so it's unlikely she would come clean. (if that's what she's doing).
If her goal was to rile people up, she certainly succeeded, judging by the comments.

Sort of like this guy:

He's still going strong, but most people figured out pretty soon that it was an act, and his views have fallen off a lot. (I still think he's funny, though.)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
I sucked it up after all of the people calling parody on it, and watched the rest.

Someone give PinkMilk a cookie for enduring 9 minutes and 36 seconds of 100% pure, unbleached, unprocessed ignorance. I couldn't even make it halfway through. I thought maybe if I just minimized the video and listened to audio while checking my email I could push through it, but I wasn't that strong.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:50 PM »
Hemant Mehta just blogged about this video.

Hemant (who comes from a Jain family) says, "Even if it’s a joke, and even though I was never Hindu, I’m pretty sure this is what my high school experience would have been like had I stayed in Tennessee…"