Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
156 (16.4%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
92 (9.7%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.3%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
272 (28.6%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
20 (2.1%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
86 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1.1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
36 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.6%)
Missionary.
30 (3.2%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 615

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 62041 times)

Offline realdemocracy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Re: What is your religious position? (Now with *Henotheism!* ... hmmm.)
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »
I am the only pantheist :((( well, it's actually two of us!! :D Who's my bro yo? lol
actually, there are 9 of us
6 agnostics, 1 ignostic, and 2 apnostics
I'm one of the agnostics

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2009, 05:55:13 AM »
I'm an agnostic atheist (I couldn't decide whether I was an agnostic or an atheist until I saw a clip of The Atheist Experience which introduced me to the notion that you could be both, which I like (I'm not certain enough to be an atheist, but I thought being an agnostic was untenable <and led to more conversion attempts, because "I hadn't made up my mind yet">).  If you know Richard Dawkin's scale of religiosity (1 being absolute certainty about religion, 7 being the strongest atheist you can imagine), I put myself at 6 ("Very low probability, but short of zero.  De facto atheist.  'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'")  (I was going to write on the border of 5 and 6, but it seems I've changed my mind since I read the book)

For the Christian god, I'd consider myself on the border of 6 and 7 (for 7- "Strong atheist.  'I know there is no God, with the same conviction Jung "knows" there is one.")
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
I am the only pantheist :((( well, it's actually two of us!! :D Who's my bro yo? lol
actually, there are 9 of us
6 agnostics, 1 ignostic, and 2 apnostics
I'm one of the agnostics

And one who didn't tick 'pantheist' for reasons that are complicated.
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »
[ Combined with next post ]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:33:17 AM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2009, 12:01:43 AM »
There has been some disagreement and confusion on the word 'agnostic' in this thread and occasionally in the forums in general.  Below are some references that cover the issue in quite a bit of detail, and show why agnostic is in a separate category (knowledge) from both atheist and theist as well as other religious beliefs.

Quick review of the issue
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncCNwbb5Jc[/youtube]
Nit: Strong vs. weak theism or atheism aren't very useful unless they are narrowly applied to a specific deity or deities.  As such, they tend to cause confusion when talking about a deity or deities outside of what are assumed by each individual speaker in a conversation.

Am I agnostic or atheist? - Includes OED and Websters definitions as well as Huxley's
http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

Atheism, Agnosticism, Noncognitivism - Theodore M. Drange - A more scholarly analysis
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theodore_drange/definition.html

A snippet from the Atheist Experience TV show where Tracie and Matt cover agnosticism, belief, and knowledge;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acn7m_jwCbI[/youtube]

From full program (Google Video);

The Atheist Experience (show and archives)
http://www.atheist-experience.com

Description from the YouTube snippet of the full program;

This video is to inform people of how agnosticism and atheism actually are responses to two different questions. Agnosticism deals with knowledge and atheism deals with belief. A person can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. This video is also there to let anyone who claims to be a gnostic atheist or agnostic atheist know that they are not alone in their lack of belief in a personal god (not necessarily the belief that there is no god). I have become a huge fan of The Atheist Experience podcast and of The Non-Prophets podcast. I've learned much from the hosts, most notably, Matt Dillahunty.
The audio is of Tracie Harris and Matt Dillahunty of The Atheist Experience discussing how agnosticism and atheism relate. Excellent definitions of atheism can be found at Infidels.org and at the Rational Responders' site. The list of atheists comes, predominately, from Wikipedia's list of atheists (extensively notated). The idea for the video came from zakiechan's post a few years ago that listed a number of atheists. Thanks and enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:02:34 AM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline GigaHand

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I like video games. Is that sacrilege?
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
Okay, to those 16 who claim to be gods...

Could you pwetty pwease make for me a ham sandwich?
The atheist's religious text:

*crickets chirping*

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Okay, to those 16 who claim to be gods...

Could you pwetty pwease make for me a ham sandwich?

*BAM!*  You are a ham sandwich.

*BAM!*  You are no longer a ham sandwich.

As for being a god, I think the 16 actually meant something like this;

...or some variation (ethnic change, focus on face or some other body part, ...).

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »
Narcissus wasn't a deity though...
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Noumenon

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
I don't know about the other 15, but what I mean when I say that I am a god is that all religious experiences are self generated.  I am a god in the aspect that all of my god-like experiences extend from the phisiological processess inside the seven pounds of grey matter on top of my shoulders.  It is just an extension of the SPAG concept. 

There is no evidence of an externally existant god.  We all create our own internal one, therefore we are all "gods".

Notice it is lower case and not supreme.

Offline SilkSpectre

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • we hide from the guns on a night reconnaissance
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
I'm picking ignostic atheist because I don't think it should matter whether there is any sort of "higher power" or "supreme being". We should all be good people regardless of their existence, not because of it.
maybe we look for secrets because we can't believe our minds - susanna kaysen, girl interrupted

i find it more comforting to believe that all this isn't simply a test. - dr. gregory house, house m.d.

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:21 AM »
Is it worth being able to change your position on the poll?  I know that my position has changed a few times in the past year or so (not since I voted on the poll, I don't think, but it has changed).  Perhaps the thinking here has influenced people (it's influenced me)?
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2009, 12:11:04 AM »
Is it worth being able to change your position on the poll?

I didn't check the right box this time.   Sorry!   :(

REQUEST TO MODERATORS: If possible, without too much trouble, please enable the ability to change votes on this poll.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:21 AM »
REQUEST TO MODERATORS: If possible, without too much trouble, please enable the ability to change votes on this poll.

Done!

For the record, I don't think any staff member would mind if you "reported" the thread (perhaps by means of "reporting" your own OP) in order to make requests like this, as this is likely to bring it to our attention more immediately, rather than posting in-thread, which is equivalent to crossing your fingers and hoping that a staff member will stumble across the thread. This forum has few staff, so we really do rely on forum members' use of the reporting facility in order to manage it. ;)

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2009, 06:09:25 AM »
I chose Agnostic Monotheist.  I believe that God exists but I cannot prove it.

I picked Missionary. >=D For the lulz

I selected Karma Sutra because there were too many dang options to choose from. :-/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
I don't think any staff member would mind if you "reported" the thread (perhaps by means of "reporting" your own OP) in order to make requests like this, as this is likely to bring it to our attention more immediately

Got it.  Hadn't considered that trick!

Offline LarianLeQuella

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • The Homepage of a Strange Dude
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »
I picked the Gnostic Atheist just because I don't like having my nits picked.  ;)

Offline Henkybaby

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
I would like to add the anti-theist to the list (if it is not mentioned already).

I do believe in the concept of God. However, it is not a divine being but a meme. A figment of man's imagination. You can hardly deny that this meme (deity) exist. The God concept is all around us so in that sense I actually can prove the existence of God.

Now I am very much against this development in human evolution. More harm than good has come out of this God-meme. That's why the anti part.

An anti-theist.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »
I'll consider it for a new version of the list, though I can't see a good way to add it without doubling or tripling the list size.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
Isn't anti-theism basically militant atheism?
God, if you're real, show yourself.  ...still waiting...

Offline Henkybaby

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
What is the essence of militant atheism?

(Remember: I do believe in God, but not as a supreme being but as a figment of mans imagination!)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »
Henkybaby, do you think we should add "inquisitorial" and "evangelical" to the list as well?  They too are attitudes toward (a)theism that don't have anything directly to do with one's (a)theist belief itself.  Anti-(a)theism is an attitude toward types of god-(dis)belief; it is not a type of god (dis)belief in itself.  It does not belong on this list since it is off-topic.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
What is the essence of militant atheism?

Well it's a sub-heading under 'anti-theism':

Militant atheism

The active antitheist stance is sometimes called "militant" atheism.[8] In 1922 Lenin wrote an essay On the Significance of Militant Materialism, in which he commended the journal Pod Znamenem Marksizma as a "militant atheist" journal. He defined this as "carry[ing] on untiring atheist propaganda and an untiring atheist fight".[9] The Society of the Godless was established in the Soviet Union as a militant atheist organisation,[10][11] and the term has also been applied to a number of key figures in the development of Marxism, including Karl Marx,[12] Friedrich Engels[13][14] and Joseph Dietzgen.[15]

Today the term is sometimes used pejoratively by theists to describe people believed to campaign actively or outspokenly for atheism and against religion. Catherine Fahringer of the Freedom From Religion Foundation has suggested that the label militant is often routinely applied to atheist for no good reason–"very much as was the adjective 'damn' attached to the noun 'Yankee' during the Civil War."[16]

Atheistic evangelism

Atheistic evangelism, or evangelical atheism, is a pejorative term used by Christian apologists to describe the approach of those who actively promote atheism. Some Christian apologists have described the characteristics of "atheistic evangelism" during the past century and a half.[35] The term "Evangelical atheism" is also used by atheist Dan Barker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism#Militant_atheism

(Remember: I do believe in God, but not as a supreme being but as a figment of mans imagination!)

That's not believing in God the supreme being, that's believing in God the concept.  Atheists and agnostics acknowledge that God the concept exists (you'd be at a disconnect from reality if you don't).

Offline Henkybaby

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Ok. Pick your battles I say. This is not one of them. :)

The reason I make the distinction is that normally I do not debate the existence of God since to me it does not matter if he is real or not. I debate the consequences of his existence (in all his forms) which are the same whether he is real in a physical sense or not.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
Ok. Pick your battles I say. This is not one of them. :)

The reason I make the distinction is that normally I do not debate the existence of God since to me it does not matter if he is real or not. I debate the consequences of his existence (in all his forms) which are the same whether he is real in a physical sense or not.

I'd say you're a pure agnostic (a label I prefer to 'atheist').  But modern usage of the words atheist and agnostic are so confusing that you're an atheist by some definitions (as long as you don't believe in a god).

The definitions in this thread don't accurately reflect that, so just do what I did: choose both agnostic atheist and agnostic deist.  They cancel out that way :P

Offline Henkybaby

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
Oh no, in the meaning of the thread I am a gnostic atheist. I am very sure there is no supreme being.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
Oh no, in the meaning of the thread I am a gnostic atheist. I am very sure there is no supreme being.

Oh ok... we don't have many gnostic atheists around here (most of the ones who selected gnostic atheist meant atheist to the Christian God).

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

With guns?  None that I know of.  If you mean just fervent, then yes.  Yet, keeping that word fervent in mind, the same could be attributed to almost any group religious or non-religious.  Because of that, the number of likely combinations goes up substantially not just for the one narrow case of types of atheists.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »

With guns?  None that I know of.  If you mean just fervent, then yes.  Yet, keeping that word fervent in mind, the same could be attributed to almost any group religious or non-religious.  Because of that, the number of likely combinations goes up substantially not just for the one narrow case of types of atheists.

Yea... which is why it's not a separate group per se.  I don't think views on evangelism matter much in a poll like this.

Offline Davo

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
where's the option for "I'm a dude who doesn't beleive in stories"