Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
159 (16.5%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
94 (9.8%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.2%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
275 (28.6%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.7%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
87 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
37 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.5%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 624

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 70353 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
I just realized that 24 people voted the same way I did[1]....WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!!

1. agnostic pantheist
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #610 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
yeah, but after a while you get bored and build walls around them and see how long it takes for them to starve to death......

holy crap, I just figured out sub-Saharan Africa!!!
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #611 on: September 14, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »
yeah, but after a while you get bored and build walls around them and see how long it takes for them to starve to death......

Made me a nice grave yard that way and laughed as they constantly pissed themselves and passed out while standing up....is that sick?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #612 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:41 AM »
Astreja,

This is a continuing topic. Who cares if it's old. You may get a reply, then again...

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Hierophant

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »
Not only am I a 7 on the Dawkins scale, but I don't see why any atheist would not be such (if not a 7, at least a 6.999... recurring). If you know there are no leprechauns, fairies or rock people (and that if we found evidence of something like them, we still wouldn't associate real-life facts with creatures of myth any more than we associate a picture of Jesus on toast with a real Jesus), and you understand gods as being mythical creatures, then you should also know there are no gods.

Even if we did find out that the universe has a creator, it would be an entity on its own right, with its own properties, not a mythical creature with human-invented properties.

To use an example to illustrate what I mean, we found out that sticking needles in people can have beneficial effects. But this does not prove or even count as evidence that acupuncture as a belief system, with its own pseudo-scientific premises, structure, etc is correct. It only proves that sticking needles in people can have beneficial effects. That is the only factual conclusion. Acupuncture was made up far before these experiments and, even if you assume that the phenomenon in question was the origin of acupuncture in some way, has no relation to that data.

Likewise, if a being came down to us and could rearrange the stars to spell its name, and we confirmed that this was no illusion of any sort (except of course projecting 3D space into a 2D image), I wouldn't assume that an imaginary entity "YHWH" has somehow sprung into existence, leaping from our minds to reality, and taking the exact form that we have imagined. That's not how reality works. Imagination is contained within our minds, it does not affect reality directly, only indirectly through our actions.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:01:17 AM by Hierophant »

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #614 on: May 03, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
I'm an Agnostic Christian.

What is it ? This is a person who don't know if Christianity is real or not.
I hesitate between Atheism and Christianity.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #615 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi there viocjit, nice of you to drop in!

The two don't really represent different sides of the same coin. Christianity is simply the belief in Jesus as the son of god of the bible (subject to, at a minimum, denomination-specific interpretation of said book), while atheism is the lack of belief in god of any sort.

If you are, in fact, an atheist, it will eventually become clear, if and when you realize that you don't actually believe a god. In the meantime. join in any of the discussions going on let us get to know you, and you, us. Welcome!
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Fenugeek

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #616 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
Hi, viocjit! Hi, everybody.

See that shift towards 28.3%? That was me. I probably won't say anything too edifying, but I'm here, vigorously making up the numbers.

Offline TripedalInstincts

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2013, 01:59:59 AM »
There are some conceptions of God(s) that, by definition, certainly don't exist (like square-circle, married-bachelor definitions).

Other concepts of God(s) that I have come across are either a) ambiguous (e.g. "light", "energy", etc...) or b) describe something that already exist (e.g. "God is the universe"). These concepts are not convincing to me, yet I cannot say with certainty that these concepts are false; they are unfalsifiable.

Given this distinction, I am relatively certain that God(s) do not exist...hence agnostic atheism.
"Tickets to the gun show, half off!!"

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #618 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
Smurfs are the universe.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Epistemolojesus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • My RedBubble Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 06, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »
I'm not sure what my position is, according to these options, so it's good that I can select more than one. I suppose I am a gnostic monotheist and/or polytheist and/or pantheist. "In the beginning, there was the Word, and the Word was was with God, and the Word was God." God can be One, Many, or All, at His convenience (or at the convenience of whomever is speaking for Him).

Hello, by the way. I couldn't find a way to post in the Introductions forum, so I found this thread and replied to it, instead. Like many others, I've been lurking for quite some time, though it has been a while since I last lurked. Funny, the reason I finally decided to join isn't because I suddenly felt some compulsion to debate or spread some word or what have you, but because I realized lately that my writing skills have been dormant for some time. Why not take up some low-stress leisurely activity to exercise them? (I'm not claiming to be a great writer, just that I don't feel like I've kept up what I already have.)

You can see my moniker is a blending of "epistemology" and "jesus". Make of that what you will. You could say I'm on the far liberal end of the Christian spectrum, which I know can be frustrating for atheists, because my beliefs are not as easily nailed down as some of the fundies in your Mail Bag. (I also find them entertaining.) Maybe that means I just haven't thought about them enough. Maybe that means I'm just not honest with myself. Maybe that means they're still changing and evolving (shouldn't everything?). Probably a little of each. Guess I'll be forced to find out, if I continue to post!
When you believe the truth, you know Jesus.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #620 on: October 06, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
Why not take up some low-stress leisurely activity to exercise them?

Writing skills are handy. But it's the clarity of thought that counts ... and I suspect that's really why you are here ;)   Enjoy the ride :laugh:

EDIT:  Don't be surprised if getting your beliefs "nailed down" turns out to be your own frustration :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:23:56 AM by William »
Git mit uns

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #621 on: October 07, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »
Welcome Epistemolojesus!
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #622 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
... Maybe that means they're still changing and evolving (shouldn't everything?)

It depends who you ask. : )

Welcome. We look forward to your contributions on a belief system you have difficulty describing.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #623 on: October 11, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Epi[1]. Your willingness to admit you still have more to learn puts you ahead of a lot of theists who post here; the reactionaries (mostly of the fundie Christian variety) tend to leave in a huff after a bit. It seems to be a rule of thumb that the less traditional a given believer is, the longer they tend to stay.
 1. Hoping you don't mind the contraction.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #624 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Epj[1]. Your willingness to admit you still have more to learn puts you ahead of a lot of theists who post here; the reactionaries (mostly of the fundie Christian variety) tend to leave in a huff after a bit. It seems to be a rule of thumb that the less traditional a given believer is, the longer they tend to stay.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Epistemolojesus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • My RedBubble Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 12, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Epi[1]. Your willingness to admit you still have more to learn puts you ahead of a lot of theists who post here; the reactionaries (mostly of the fundie Christian variety) tend to leave in a huff after a bit. It seems to be a rule of thumb that the less traditional a given believer is, the longer they tend to stay.
Epi? Hmm, maybe EpiJ would be better. ;)

Well the Bible teaches that we are all flawed and fall short of His grace. The fundies have their interpretation of that and I have mine. Theirs probably involves eschewing knowing that appears to contradict what they believe the scripture says. I, however, don't believe that God wants a bunch of ignoramuses in Heaven singing songs to Him for eternity any more than any of us would want a city of gerbils squeaking at our feet forever and ever.
When you believe the truth, you know Jesus.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #626 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
fall short of His grace.

What's that mean, specifically?

The fundies have their interpretation of that and I have mine.

Why is that?  Why are there alternative interpretations of divine law/ mandates/ will?  And how does one tell which one is correct?

I, however, don't believe that God wants ...

Why do you not believe that?  Why should anyone think your belief is correct?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #627 on: October 25, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »
Hello all. This is my first post here, though I've lurked for ages and ages before finally registering. This poll was difficult for me because I want very much to be a deist.  But I had to follow my gut instinct and pick "agnostic atheist."

Not sure why I "want" to be a deist.  I guess because I used to be a christian and it is very, very, very difficult for me to really admit to myself that I just flat out don't think there is a god. Period.  It was hard enough saying goodbye to the comfort I found in christianity.  Meaning, I loved believing I had a "personal savior" who loved me and I could talk to all day.  It was difficult for me to let go of that, but it got to the point where I knew I was just faking it to make myself feel better. 

Then I took comfort in thinking, well there MUST be a god who started all of this. But s/he sure as hell isn't around to help any of us here on Planet Earth. 

I don't know.  All of this makes my brain hurt.  It's maddening. 

All I do know is that when I forced myself to pick the choice that most resonated with me, it was agnostic atheist.

I should feel liberated I guess, but I have to confess it makes me sad.  Like when I found out Santa wasn't real - it broke my heart.  I'm 43 now and feel the same way - how humiliating, lol.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning here, and getting to know others and their experiences/journeys.
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
Welcome Ruby. This forum is loaded with knowledgeable people and if you are debating any arguments in your head, feel free to type them here and we can maybe help. Be careful though because this forum can become addicting, for believers and non-believers.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #629 on: October 25, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
Like when I found out Santa wasn't real - it broke my heart.

Let me give you this comfort.  The best thing about popping the Santa bubble is that the true joy of gift giving and receiving can shine through.  I hated it when my daughter thought a gift (very carefully chosen by me) came from Santa!

It's the same with god belief.  Now when I do something kind I'm certain it really is me and not my fear of God. And the recipients who know my atheism know it's me and they thank me directly - not via god's fucking useless blessings.  Secular goodness has a lot going for it  - be happy :)
Git mit uns

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #630 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Thank you iamrational and william for your warm welcomes - much appreciated!

iamrational - it's OK by me to be addicted to this for now, I'm eager to soak in as much knowledge as I can.  Also, I'm recovering from major surgery and my laptop is now my personal savior, lol.

William - beautiful analogy re: the Santa bubble bursting.  So true.  Thank you for that comforting thought.

Now I just have to - eventually - stop pretending I believe in god.  Long story not meant for this particular board - I'll delve into it once I get to make my own post in the intro section.  It's freaking awful to feel like such a fake.  I don't go to church anymore but I don't "come out" as an atheist or even agnostic.  I just keep my mouth shut when people say they are praying for me or whatever (i.e., the recent surgery).  I give my surgeon 100% of the credit for the success of the operation, not god, by the way.  ;D

"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #631 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ruby. Hope your recovery continues to go well.

iamrational - it's OK by me to be addicted to this for now, I'm eager to soak in as much knowledge as I can.  Also, I'm recovering from major surgery and my laptop is now my personal savior, lol.

Hope you don't have cause to regret that... we have Nam here after all  ;).

Now I just have to - eventually - stop pretending I believe in god.  Long story not meant for this particular board - I'll delve into it once I get to make my own post in the intro section.  It's freaking awful to feel like such a fake.  I don't go to church anymore but I don't "come out" as an atheist or even agnostic.  I just keep my mouth shut when people say they are praying for me or whatever (i.e., the recent surgery).  I give my surgeon 100% of the credit for the success of the operation, not god, by the way.  ;D

Looking forward to hearing about your journey towards atheism.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #632 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »
Thanks wright, I appreciate the welcome! :)

~ Thomas Paine

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #633 on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
Welcome Ruby. I'm one of the few theists on the site, although I don't particularly like the term. I'm a Christian.

Hope you enjoy contributing to the forums.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #634 on: October 26, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
Thanks magicmiles! I am looking forward to learning.  I hope to learn as much from both "sides" as I can!  :)
~ Thomas Paine

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #635 on: October 26, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
Hi Ruby,
   As a fellow Christian (Church of the Brethren) and now agnostic atheist, the love and support of our collective fellow man is still the important thing as it could be in any religion.  There is absolutely no reason to be sad.  There is, however, every reason to continue dancing with reckless abandon.

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Welcome RubyLeo. l've been a non-believer far too long to personally identify with your sense of loss. I was just a kid when I figured it out and I was quite happy to get rid of that boogie man, so I never suffered any sadness.  But I certainly sympathize. Hopefully your participation here will help you come to terms with the change. Even though you'll have to deal with our quirks in the meantime.

We look forward to your contributions, and keep us updated on how you're progressing, non-god-wise.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Thank you shnozzola! Wise words.  And I love, love, love your dancing Snoopy!   ;D

ParkingPlaces - I'm very happy for you that you figured it out as a kid.  I was a total sheep. I'm so very proud of my oldest son, who, like you, figured it out and dealt with it way before I did. He had the courage/inner strength to question the crap out of his sunday school teachers, he would not accept their answers.  YAY for him - I wish I had been like that at his age!  We now love sharing agnostic/atheist books, quotes, memes, etc.!

I digress - bragging on my kid, what a cliche' - my point was I'm glad you were smart enough to shed the boogie man at a young age.  :)

I believe I will shed my sadness by being here, joining in with others who have dismissed the boogie man lie, feeling a sense of togetherness in that, and learning more every day.

Thanks again to you both for your welcomes.  :)
~ Thomas Paine