Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
159 (16.5%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
94 (9.8%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.2%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
275 (28.6%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.7%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
87 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
37 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.5%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 624

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 70797 times)

Offline Humanoid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #580 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
There was none that hit my case.. so I took agnostic deist. Which is propably more than I believe, but still the closest one.

Welcome to the forum, Humanoid. Can you expand on that a bit? Is it that you think the universe has a creator now disinterested in it?

I think that this world is result of physical laws. There is a possibility that there is a certain force ( lets call it God) that formed the physical laws. I do not know if I believe it or not. It is possible or it is not. I am questioning it.. and searching.

I used to be a christian, but I have lost my theological point of view to it.

Offline Humanoid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #581 on: July 05, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
I´m in a transition.

In faith I have more doubts than the facts. The only thing I fully trust is the scientific realm at the moment.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #582 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »
Humanoid

Thanks for your honesty. You will probably find that you will develop a more thorough idea of your ideology after spending some time here. I wouldn't worry too much about your specific label yet.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Humanoid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #583 on: July 05, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Humanoid

Thanks for your honesty. You will probably find that you will develop a more thorough idea of your ideology after spending some time here. I wouldn't worry too much about your specific label yet.

Thanks!

You know.. I wouldn´t worry about it either. I don´t like labels. Did the test just for fun.

I like the position I am right now. I am free of certain ideological thinking.. so I can explore freely.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #584 on: July 05, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

I am free of certain ideological thinking.. so I can explore freely.

That should be the default for all humans! Excellent.

Offline Humanoid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #585 on: July 07, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
It should be.. but it is dependign a lot of to what culture you are born.

If you are born to fe. a muslim society, you will unfortunately not have the luxury to explore freely.

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #586 on: July 08, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
Former youth pastor (12 years) here that now believes firmly that not only is there no god, there never has been.

Thanks for the great forum and I look forward to many stimulating discussions!

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
Welcome boobatuba. If you find the time feel free to start an Introductions thread so we can get to know you a bit.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
Welcome boobatuba. If you find the time feel free to start an Introductions thread so we can get to know you a bit.
Thank you, I will as soon as I reach the 3-post threshold. One to go!

Offline Humanoid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #589 on: July 08, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
Former youth pastor (12 years) here that now believes firmly that not only is there no god, there never has been.

Good coincident! I did also 12 years of youth ministry working as a youth counsillor for church.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #590 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum, boobatuba.

It's great knowing that you were once a youth pastor. My father (and grandfather) is a Pentecostal preacher so when I hear stories about pastors becoming atheists I get all warm inside.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline lg12811

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
This is my very first post and I'll probably do something wrong so apologies for my mistakes. I was born a nonbeliever because as a baby I didn't know about anything. I was raised by nonpracticing catholics who explained what God was and that I should follow. I did and even attended a catholic school going to church every Wednesday. I started to question God's plan and even his existence when I realized that I could confess my sins and be clean again for the price of 4 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Mary's. I am now in my 40's and I believe he doesn't exist. I know something created us because we are here. I don't presume to know what that was or why. I try to be a good person and take care of my family. My religious position is set to 0. No one has been able to prove to me without a doubt that there is a God that any religion subscribes to. Last week I was going to begin a journey trying to prove to the world that God does not exist and I came across this site. It's been done so i don't have to start. I love this site.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +223/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum, lg12811.  Good to have you with us.

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
Welcome lg12811.  I think you are going to find yourself in very good company here.  Lots of very smart people, who have also come to the conclusion that god does not exist, or were raised with that understanding of the world, as well as some theists.  And lots of people here who try to live good lives and take care of our families.  Probably, there will be gobs of scientists who are happy to point you in the direction of learning about the origins of life, and welcome you on this new journey in your life. 

In terms of doing something wrong, please take a little time to read how to do quotes and whatnot, and you'll probably mess up a few times before you get the hang of it.  In terms of saying something that rubs someone the wrong way, well, there are a lot of strong personalities here too.  But there is also a community of people who welcome you. 

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #594 on: July 24, 2012, 04:33:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum lg12811, it sounds like you are filled with enthusiasm and curiosity. I hope you find that our forum meets your needs.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #595 on: July 25, 2012, 01:57:56 AM »
Welcome, lg12811. One suggestion: use some line breaks in your posts; it makes them much easier to read.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #596 on: August 01, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
I finally voted as an Ignostic Atheist.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Saurus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #597 on: August 02, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking a bit and finally decided to make an account.

I voted as agnostic atheist, I'm pretty sure there are no gods but you could never really be sure. :)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking a bit and finally decided to make an account.

I voted as agnostic atheist, I'm pretty sure there are no gods but you could never really be sure. :)

Welcome, Saurus.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »
Welcome to WWGHA Saurus, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Offline colin040

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #600 on: August 22, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
Agnostic atheist would be the best description for me. I'm baptised and a protestant because of my mum. I'm not religious at all though. Mum is a ''christian'' but compared to ''real'' ones she'd be considered to be fake easily while dad is just an atheist. She told me that she only prays when she feels like it. I guess her faith simply could be considered to be very personal. She also said that she thinks people who rely of their faith all the time and finds that you at times must be realistic. Having that said I don't remember any religious things in my childhood at all. Mum said we used to pray sometimes but I can't remember it at all. I also think it's years that she prayed for something.

Oh and I'm new here. I hope I'll have a good time here! : - )

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #601 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »
Welcome Saurus and colin040.  Look forward to hearing all about both of you. 

Offline Maverick

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
Hmmm . . .I certainly believe in a Creator of sorts (God, I guess) but I can't reconcile such a Creator with the tyrannical acts of the God of the Bible.  What does this say about my religious position?

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
Hmmm . . .I certainly believe in a Creator of sorts (God, I guess) but I can't reconcile such a Creator with the tyrannical acts of the God of the Bible.  What does this say about my religious position?

Deist maybe?  Usually implies that you believe that a 'god' figure created the universe, but remains largely aloof of human concerns and does not actively intervene in human lives.

Edited in error and then restored GB : (
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:50:02 PM by Graybeard »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #604 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »
hehehe.
you are a theist if whatever god you believe in has human characteristics emotion/shape/form/gender/humor

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #605 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »

Deist maybe?  Usually implies that you believe that a 'god' figure created the universe, but remains largely aloof of human concerns and does not actively intervene in human lives.
A good subject for a thread: Why would a god go to the trouble of creating a universe and all that is in it, and then clear off? Have they ever done this before? Will they do it again? Are they doing it now?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #606 on: September 14, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »
A good subject for a thread: Why would a god go to the trouble of creating a universe and all that is in it, and then clear off?

I can think of at least one good reason: just to watch what happens.

Have you ever seen those sand pendulum things?

The way it works is, you hold the pendulum to one side of the tray, then let it go, perhaps with a slight sideways push so that when it swings back, it doesn't immediately swing back thru the middle of the sand.  Then, you just sit back and watch.  When the pendulum finally stops swinging around some minutes later, the result is some very intricate and beautiful patterns in the sand, which vary depending on how the pendulum's motion started.  This is just one possibility of many:

It's quite fascinating to watch the various patterns appear, and there have been times when I sat with one for minutes turning into hours, just trying different ways of swinging the pendulum and observing the different patterns.  So there's one possibility, at least: the universe could be god's sand pendulum.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nickolas

• Freshman
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is your religious position? (Now with *Henotheism!* ... hmmm.)
« Reply #607 on: September 14, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Must agree. To quote Dawkins on his 7 point scale:

"I'd be surprised to meet many people in category 7, but I include it for symmetry with category 1, which is well populated. It is in the nature of faith that one is capable, like Jung, of holding a belief without adequate reason to do so (Jung also believed that particular books on his shelf spontaneously exploded with a loud bang). Atheists do not have faith; and reason alone could not propel one to total conviction that anything definitely does not exist. Hence category 7 is in practice rather emptier than its opposite number, category 1, which has many devoted inhabitants. I count myself in category 6, but leaning towards 7-1 am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden." (The God Delusion).

Interesting board.

I hate to pick nits, but as I have said in other threads, I'm a bit anal about one point: agnosticism is not "I do not know", but rather "It is impossible to know".  I am an agnostic atheist: It is impossible to know for certain whether a god exists, but I don't believe there is one.
I can live with questions I cannot answer, but I cannot live with questions I cannot ask.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #608 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
A good subject for a thread: Why would a god go to the trouble of creating a universe and all that is in it, and then clear off?

Or The Sims.

From a purely scientific curiosity it's fun to set up the parameters and the just sit back and watch what they do.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.