Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
156 (16.4%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
93 (9.8%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.3%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
272 (28.5%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
86 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
36 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.6%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 617

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 63429 times)

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #522 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
First post, I think I would like you guys to share your position since I'm a little bit confused about God's existence/non-existence. So far I think He should exist.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Augusto

Welcome. Most of us here are some version of atheist. We come in a variety of flavors, depending on how sure we are that there is no god. Me? I'm onion/very hot jalapeno flavored, because I'm as sure there is no god as the other atheists will let me be. I'm so sure some atheists think I overstate it.

You say you think he should exist. Heck, even I think there SHOULD be a god. A real nice one. Not all hidden and mystical and hard to get along with. One that is informational, and forgiving. And fair. And fun to invite to parties. However, no matter how much I think there should be a god, that doesn't make it happen. I also think I should win the lottery, but that has no effect on the outcome. Thinking there should be a god doesn't make it so.

You might ask yourself why the existence of a god is of import to you. And why the version of god you believe in is so different that the gods many others believe in. And presumably similar to many others as well. The christian god, if that is your favorite kind, comes in many flavors, just like we atheists. His one book is subject to thousands of different interpretations, something sort of hard to understand, if he is indeed omnipotent. All the omnipotent types I've ever known were much clearer about their intentions than the christian deity.

And you might ask yourself why you would come here. Is it because you are sure there is a god and want to enlighten us, or is it because you have doubts and want to understand why others don't believe, just in case we're right? It doesn't matter which stance you have right now, but it might help you to know what it is so you can discuss things more clearly.

Again, welcome. Enjoy the site.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #524 on: February 26, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
Militant Atheist. I am open-minded, though no creationist I've ever heard of has made any sort of valid argument. Until a creationist does I think I'll stay on the "dark side"  ;)

It's worth mentioning that no one is born a theist and that until you are told there is a god you do not believe there is a god. God didn't create man in His image, man created god in his image.
God is the Ultimate Boeing 747

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Welcome Ate The Ism. Great name.

From one militant atheist to another, I salute you. ;D

Enjoy the show.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
Thank you ParkingPlaces, I feel extremely comfortable with the crowd here.

WWGHA (the optical illusion video) was the eye-opener (appropriate because I didn't actually denounce until extensive research of religious texts) I needed to cast aside faith in exchange for reason and logic.

It's a small token of gratitude coming from an equally small human being but to all the atheists that are tired of religious absurdities and atrocities, thank you.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I got the impression somewhere on this forum that there was no such thing as a militant atheist. So, you two might qualify for some sort of federal protection or funding...you might want to look into that.

Serious question...what is it that makes you "militant"? and why is it worthy to ridicule a theist who warns that there is such a thing as militant atheism?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »
"Militant" just happens to be an unfortunate word, due to the imagery it brings up.  Here's what you get when you Google-Images the word "Militant":

...well, you get the idea.  Not exactly the best image for public relations.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure I got the impression somewhere on this forum that there was no such thing as a militant atheist. So, you two might qualify for some sort of federal protection or funding...you might want to look into that.

Serious question...what is it that makes you "militant"? and why is it worthy to ridicule a theist who warns that there is such a thing as militant atheism?

"Militant" is an unfortunate word, I agree with Azdgari. I call myself a militant atheist to illustrate my certainty and my activity. I could say gnostic, but I choose to use militant because of its definition, though when regarding religious beliefs they do not differ much.

Maybe you could clarify a bit on what problem you have with the position?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:40:07 PM by Ate The Ism »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
@ Azdgari

Right, that's the image that pops into my head whenever someone describes themselves as militant. I was just wondering if Ate The Ism and ParkingPlaces were trying to be ironic or if they view themselves as actually "militarized".

Considering how much negative PR their is surrounding atheism, it strikes me as a terrible joke.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
Thing is, there are other words that would work.  "Activist atheist" or "political atheist" or "anti-theist" - these all have their pros and cons, but at least they don't conjure up the image of a Taliban insurgent.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
@ Azdgari

Right, that's the image that pops into my head whenever someone describes themselves as militant. I was just wondering if Ate The Ism and ParkingPlaces were trying to be ironic or if they view themselves as actually "militarized".

Considering how much negative PR their is surrounding atheism, it strikes me as a terrible joke.

Militant atheism's use can be seen as a response to the dangers of ever having a god. Hitchens (rip) illustrates this idea in much depth. Evil mostly exists because god "exists." How else would you convince someone to sacrifice themselves or mutilate children?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
How else would you convince someone to sacrifice themselves or mutilate children?

Create conditions of severe poverty combined with no education, add a dash of ideological indoctrination then spread the word that you can provide a little financial comfort to your family if you just blow yourself up in a bazaar for Allah and viola! 

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #534 on: February 26, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Well, we have folks here that refer to themselves as baby eaters, so I didn't take militant too seriously, Eat.

But yeah bad images associated with that word. Put those two together and you have fightin' words in some circles.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #535 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
Militant is not militarized.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #536 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
Welcome! BTW. Ate The Ism

Post in Introductions if you'd like the official welcome wagon.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #537 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »

Who claimed it was?  Which point was this intended to address?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #538 on: February 26, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
@ Azdgari

Don't worry. I'm not armed. Unless you count my brilliant mind and rapier-quick wit.

Which is useless if I try to be too nice.

I was mostly joking. I'm adamant as hell but not mean about it. Not counting Augusto.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #539 on: February 26, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »

Who claimed it was?  Which point was this intended to address?

I was just wondering if Ate The Ism and ParkingPlaces were trying to be ironic or if they view themselves as actually "militarized".

I suppose you missed this comment. I was merely pointing out that by militant I did not mean armed, as mentioned by monkeymind (thanks for the welcome btw, I will post in introductions immediately  :D)

I won't be using militant anymore, though I am having trouble with changing a correctly used word because the media has instilled it in people's minds that in reference to Al-Qaeda is the only acceptable use of the word. They do not refer to themselves as militant, by the way, though Christians do.

I hope I've made my opinion clear enough, and as I've mentioned will now call myself an active gnostic atheist to avoid any confusion in the future.

I sincerely apologize for any offense as it was unintentional.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
^^^^As a Baptist we used to sing Onward Christian Soldiers, marching off to war, with the flag of Jesus going on before.

Theists consider that they are in a battle. So THAT's offensive to me!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
^^^^As a Baptist we used to sing Onward Christian Soldiers, marching off to war, with the flag of Jesus going on before.

Theists consider that they are in a battle. So THAT's offensive to me!

I used to find myself humming that song years after I quit going to church. But I just realized I've forgotten all but the first two lines. This aging thing isn't so bad after all.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #542 on: February 27, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »
My best friend is Baptist and I used to go to church with him all the time and I always hated the songs. I do sometimes envy the naive, isn't ignorance bliss?

[EDIT] I was a believer back then too, one of those "Yes I know what is said but that's not what is meant!"

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #543 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
What? You didn't like...What can wash away my sins. Nothing but the blood of Jesus...No other fount I know, that can wash me white as snow...nothing but the blood of Jesus.

ADDED: Oh Yeah ..my (favorite) religious position is the Missionary Position.

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #544 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Hello, i'm still new in this forum.

The only reason i go to church is because the girl i like is in there.

Other that that. I would say "F*ck this shit".
I really want to throw my shoe over to those priest bastard.
Who keep brainwashed the girls.
Then makes them say "I only want to go out with people with the same religion"
WHO THE F*CK came up with that idea anyway?
I would love to bitchslap them.

And with my luck, any girl i had history with is ALWAYS a fanatics.

If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #545 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
GOD IS I ;)

GOD IS MY WILLPOWER

GOD IS MY CAPACITY

GOD IS MY CAPABILITY
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #546 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
God is my crutch!

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
« Reply #547 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:12 PM »
While I chose agnostic atheist, I think I actually fall somewhere in between gnostic atheist and agnostic atheist, leaning toward gnostic (in other words, I am almost certain that there is no god).
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline mdforseth

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
I've enjoyed referring to myself as a "rational positivitist" over the years, it forces my inquiring audience to think a little.

Offline mdforseth

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Oops, correction: positivist.

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
I find the high percentage of gnostic atheists interesting. Just curious, how do you "know"?

Did God tell you? LOL!!  ;)
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).