Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
156 (16.4%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
92 (9.7%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.3%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
272 (28.6%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
20 (2.1%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
86 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1.1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
36 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.6%)
Missionary.
30 (3.2%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 615

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 63084 times)

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #493 on: September 16, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
wel;come

ravi is fun but his arguments fail badly; particular the morality argument.

Yes, I checked him out on Youtube and it didn't do anything for me.

A friend from church recommended Ravi to me.  From what i saw, he was the best that christian apologetics has to offer in regards to the moral argument.  The more i watched his videos, however, the more i came to realise this "moral argument" he was championing was full of more holes then a spaghetti strainer.  In the long run, he didn't do much for me either.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:45:13 PM by The Wannabe »
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #494 on: September 16, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »
A friend from church recommended Ravi to me.  From what i saw, he was the best that christian apologetics has to offer in regards to the moral argument.  The more i watched his videos, however, the more i came to realise this "moral argument" he was championing was full of more holes then a spaghetti strainer.  In the long run, he didn't do much for me either.

The moral argument would be a lot stronger if it wasn't for the existance of other civilizations with ... morals. What's most annoying is the false dichotomy between "personal morality" and religious morality
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »
I have noticed many people here saying that it is not possible to be a gnostic atheist, because it is not possible to know that there are no gods. Could anyone explain to me why this is not possible? I am afraid that I do not understand.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline b2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #496 on: October 13, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
 :) I am a Christian. I am saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
:) I am a Christian. I am saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Hi, b2, welcome to WWGHA.  I hope you find your stay here an enjoyable and informative one.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline b2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Thanks pianodwarf....you a keyboard player?

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2011, 06:49:37 AM »
Thanks pianodwarf....you a keyboard player?

I am not.  I am also not a dwarf, being five foot eleven (or 180 centimeters if you swing that way).  The story behind my nick is a long one.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline yokcos700

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
I have noticed many people here saying that it is not possible to be a gnostic atheist, because it is not possible to know that there are no gods. Could anyone explain to me why this is not possible? I am afraid that I do not understand.
I think it's quite possible to know that there are no gods. A god, by definition, is omnipotent (I am unsure whether this is true or not) and omnipotence is impossible.
Simply ask: Can God, or any omnipotent being create a rock so heavy that even he cannot move it? If he can create this rock, then he cannot move it, therefore he is not omnipotent. If he cannot, then obviously, this means he is not omnipotent.
Therefore, there can be no god (So I'm a gnostic atheist.)

Offline Albright412

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »
Iam an Agnostic atheist, Thanks for the post

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »
*looks at list* There are 70 Gods?!  :o
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline wintercreeks

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #503 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
My religious position is to let every man, woman and child know that God is Real. To do that, I have the responsibility to show the same God that is real, really cares. To show that God really cares requires me to adopt the same attitude as the One I follow.  The One I follow, though the world was made through Him, took upon Himself the attitude of a bond servant, becoming obedient unto death on a cross. To show that God really cares requires that I become His feet, hands and voice in this world.  The great question cannot be answered via human logic. God is beyond human reason. Religion is the feeble human attempt to explain the God who is beyond human understanding.  The Great Question - "Is God Real?" http://www.wintercreeks.biz/is-god-real.php   :)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #504 on: October 24, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
The great question cannot be answered via human logic. God is beyond human reason. Religion is the feeble human attempt to explain the God who is beyond human understanding. 

Then you are worshipping ignorance.  And you are claiming to understand something you also claim is not understandable.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #505 on: October 24, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
The great question cannot be answered via human logic. God is beyond human reason. Religion is the feeble human attempt to explain the God who is beyond human understanding. 

Then you are worshipping ignorance.  And you are claiming to understand something you also claim is not understandable.

Another contradiction! :o
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #506 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
My religious position is to let every man, woman and child know that God is Real. To do that, I have the responsibility to show the same God that is real, really cares. To show that God really cares requires me to adopt the same attitude as the One I follow.  The One I follow, though the world was made through Him, took upon Himself the attitude of a bond servant, becoming obedient unto death on a cross. To show that God really cares requires that I become His feet, hands and voice in this world.  The great question cannot be answered via human logic. God is beyond human reason. Religion is the feeble human attempt to explain the God who is beyond human understanding.  The Great Question - "Is God Real?" http://www.wintercreeks.biz/is-god-real.php   :)

Hello there. Maybe make a thread in the introduction section and go a bit into detail about yourself so we can properly welcome you?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #507 on: October 26, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
My religious position is to let every man, woman and child know that God is Real. To do that, I have the responsibility to show the same God that is real, really cares. 

No, in order to show me your god is real, what you have to do is show me some evidence, objective evidence.
Objective evidence that isn't an appeal to ignorance, doesn't involve special pleading, circular reasoning...or any logical fallacy.

I give it to you:

(1)Define God. Do not use weasel words or circular definitions.
(2)Prove that that definition is not a logical paradox
(3)Show proof that differs from the other ten thousand dieties man
has worshipped, again without committing a logical error

Until you do those three things....your worship of that deity is the intellectual equivalent a gibbering tribal primitive bowing before their god, UGABUGA.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #508 on: October 27, 2011, 07:31:16 AM »
@wintercreeks

Why do you believe in that particular god? What is the reason you hold that belief?
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #509 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
This is not a debate thread.  If you would like to discuss why people believe (or don't believe) what they do or do not believe, start a new thread or join an ongoing one.  And introduction thread for wintercreeks would be a good place to start.

thanks

Moderator Screwtape

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »
ROFL I picked missionary because it is the best position for sex.   nothing is more intimate and wonderful then staring into your lover's eyes as you enter ......

oh and i'm also an agnostic atheist because i guess i cannot know for 100% certainty that god is imaginary.

Also when I did online dating I picked "spiritual but not religious".   that's a pretty fuzzy term, but I like to go on hikes a lot, and there is nothing I love more than taking in the grand splendor of Nature as you are surrounded by a forest that is centuries old, with majestic mountains looming before you, and a pristine lake undisturbed by civilization.    So I get this strong spiritual feeling whenver I'm out in the wild.    This is especially strong at night when I can see all the stars.     But I do not worship Nature.   I just think she is beautiful.     

Offline KISSME

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #511 on: November 20, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »
Just did the survey…

Born on a Christmas day, surrounded by nuns, Janis Joplin, priests, and Jimmy Hendrix. Always thought that I was treated differently. Wonder why!

I keep a copy of the bible and use it as a door stopper, if only to help me remember of what it was like.

Today I’m an Atheist.
Keep It Simple Stupid ME

Offline zerwwgha

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #512 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
What? You don't expect Christians to come to this forum? That's not biased or anything.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #513 on: November 21, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
What? You don't expect Christians to come to this forum? That's not biased or anything.

gnostic monotheist = Christian
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #514 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum zerwwgha.  Starting off with a misguided sarcastic quip derived solely off of an embarrassing inability to read the different categories carefully is a poor way to start.  Perhaps you should try again? 

We invite and encourage Christians to come to this forum.   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline zerwwgha

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #515 on: November 22, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
Hmm I have limited privileges on how I can communicate! Help me out someone... please. I promise I'll be nice during debates. So far I can't create new threads or send private messages.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #516 on: November 22, 2011, 12:26:35 AM »
^I'm not sure about PMs, but a member can start a thread after they have 3 posts.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +470/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
Welcome. It's not that we don't expect the religious of any persuasion to come here, but given title of the forum, a lot are  unable to think of a reason why God should not heal amputees and therefore go off and continue spouting inanities to like-minded godbothers so that no one actually questions their (as yet unsupported) belief.

We await the arrival of a religious person who will come and give the answer to the question WWGHA? If you feel you can attempt this, please read some of the posts, so as to avoid duplication.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Dilaram

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »
I am a deity soul, God is The Supreme Soul simply because God is a soul identical to us however God never owns a corporeal form, Body Human... God however does borrow a human body and has been coming to earth re-creating heaven on earth once again for the last 75 years. Proove this experientially here www.bkwsu.org for your self... or not.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #519 on: January 14, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
You prove it.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #520 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
I am a deity soul, God is The Supreme Soul simply because God is a soul identical to us however God never owns a corporeal form, Body Human... God however does borrow a human body and has been coming to earth re-creating heaven on earth once again for the last 75 years. Proove this experientially here www.bkwsu.org for your self... or not.

Hi Dilaram,

welcome to our forum.  please note, the green text indicates I am acting as a moderator. 

So far in both your posts you have made some claims and then linked a website.  This is a discussion forum, so the expectation is that you discuss, not just link.  If you continue to just link that site, it will appear that you are spamming us and that is not allowed.  So please read the Rules and be more engaging.  Thanks.

Regards
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline godfree

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #521 on: January 30, 2012, 03:15:59 AM »
Hi all , just joined , I have been fighting what seemed like a lone battle for years ,
So I am delighted to find a site claiming as I do that we can prove god does not exist ,
I'm currently the Author of a several threads , Atheists vrs Skeptics ,,Life After Religion ,
and more currently ,Science fiction or fact ,
I can't persuade any of the people on that site , that we can prove god doesn't exist ,
and there are people claiming to be Atheists ,,??? I just don't get that ,
so I'm trying to get them to explain ,what would they consider proof ,
and they havn't offered an answer yet .
I agree with the green moderator , just posting web addresses doesn't address the issue,
especially for people on dial-up , the last thing we want to do is go browsing again ,
it's so slow we don't usually bother , proof there is no god , for starters , it's impossible ,!!!