Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
159 (16.5%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
94 (9.7%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.2%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
279 (28.9%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.7%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
87 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
37 (3.8%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.5%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 628

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 74164 times)

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #377 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Doesn't it depend how you define "God"?  If I told Dawkins or any other "strong atheist" that my definition of God is the entirety of everything that exists, or even my Nissan Altima sitting out on my driveway, they would have no choice but to "believe in it" because it exists. 

On the other hand, if you define God as an omnipotent, omniscient supernatural being who revealed himself in the Bible, then I would say such a god is not only silly and internally inconsistent but also logically impossible and I would be a strong atheist with respect to that one.  I think that's pretty much how Dawkins thinks.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline spiritualatheist

« Reply #378 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
Doesn't it depend how you define "God"?  If I told Dawkins or any other "strong atheist" that my definition of God is the entirety of everything that exists, or even my Nissan Altima sitting out on my driveway, they would have no choice but to "believe in it" because it exists. 

On the other hand, if you define God as an omnipotent, omniscient supernatural being who revealed himself in the Bible, then I would say such a god is not only silly and internally inconsistent but also logically impossible and I would be a strong atheist with respect to that one.  I think that's pretty much how Dawkins thinks.
I am 100% certain the Bible/Quran God is impossible.
Religion is to superstition as chocolate is to coco beans.
You can call me an atheist or agnostic with pantheistic beliefs but I ain't believing in your imaginary omnipotent friend bullshit.

Offline Epiphany84

« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.

I chose this, although i must admit I had a hard time choosing between this and agnostic atheist.  i think I'm a bit of both.

Offline way12go

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2010, 01:32:04 AM »
Gods can't exist and here is why...

Offline truehyuga

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Back. For now.
« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »

No. Don't. Already told multiple times not to spam this.
I will report you if you don't stay in one thread with this.
What you allow will always increase; good or bad.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #382 on: October 04, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »

No. Don't. Already told multiple times not to spam this.
I will report you if you don't stay in one thread with this.

Seriously. We heard you the first time. 6+4 can't equal a Gorilla so therefore = NO GOD or whatever.

Your "disproval" is seriously goofy man. It just reeks to high hell of faux intellectualism and special pleading. I seriously think you do more harm for your cause than good by blasting that inane bullshit all over the internet and then ignoring the people who critique you. It makes you come of as a raving loon, and you're as obnoxious about it as the religious.

And I'm a pretty hardline atheist telling you this.  So, you know, take it as you will.
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Str82Hell

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
I think I am 12 on Dawkins scale. I mean, come on, it's just a stupid idea.
Quote from: George Bernard Shaw
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
Who is a well-known, famous Strong Atheist?

Burt Lancaster -- I mean, look at his upper body development.

Offline Science Fan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • The infection must die
« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »
Pretty straight forward for me. It is impossible to know pretty much anything for certain, but here we have an extraordinary claim made with no verifiable evidence to back it up and I have no other choice but to conclude possible but extremely improbable for god's or any gods' existence.

Offline geochron

« Reply #386 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
I don't know (or care) if there is a god, but there certainly isn't any evidence for one. Even if a god or gods existed, it is of little consequence to the way in which I live my life.

Offline Jeff7

« Reply #387 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
I.. guess this is as good as anywhere to finally make that whole first post thing!

Currently I'm not even sure what the hey I am. I've been a Christian (OneTrue or otherwise) for the last two years and one month. Yet, for my spiritual birthday as my friends call it, I've been steadily becoming more and more skeptic... a big ole '3' on the Dawkins scale, maybe, with seemingly more leanings towards the other end of the spectrum as time goes on? (And I guess, in the way the poll in the OP describes it, 'agnostic monotheist'?)

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #388 on: October 17, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
Hi Jeff7!  Thanks for posting.  Don't worry, we won't make you participate in secret atheist ceremonies (yet - that's reserved for Dawkins-7s and above). 

The important thing is that you keep an open mind, and remember to question authority. ;)  Uh.. that's two important things, isn't it?  Hm, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
Could "Nothing" be placed up there?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-32
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
Are you suggesting that the entire list be erased?  :o
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Science Fan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • The infection must die
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
I think he wishes not to take part in the poll?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »
The option "Nothing".  Which is what I adhere to.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Why have you stated "Ignostic" in your title if you want to vote for "nothing" as an option in this thread?  :shrug
Former Moderator Account

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
Why have you stated "Ignostic" in your title if you want to vote for "nothing" as an option in this thread?  :shrug

I forgot that was there.  Haven't been on as much as I used to, these things go unnoticed.

-Nam

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
^ Easily done I suppose.

Well, since the OP is asking what our religous position is, it assumes that we have one. If you feel that you don't, of any kind, I'd say this probably isn't the poll for you.

:)
Former Moderator Account

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
^ Easily done I suppose.

Well, since the OP is asking what our religous position is, it assumes that we have one. If you feel that you don't, of any kind, I'd say this probably isn't the poll for you.

:)

Then are you implying that "Atheism" and anything pertaining to it is a "Religious position"?  Seems the poll is, and since Atheists contend that "Atheism" isn't a "religion", why they partake in the poll is beyond me.

;)

-Nam

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #397 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
No. I'm simply saying that, since you have no religious position, and decline to state that without a belief in a god you are, by definition, an atheist, then complaining that the "nothing" option doesn't exist is semantic, thus a pointless complaint for this poll.

Former Moderator Account

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #398 on: November 23, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
No. I'm simply saying that, since you have no religious position, and decline to state that without a belief in a god you are, by definition, an atheist, then complaining that the "nothing" option doesn't exist is semantic, thus a pointless complaint for this poll.

Not an Atheist.  "Atheism" or "Atheist" implies there's a "god/God" or "gods" not to believe in.  And since one ultimate definition can't be applied to such a thing or things, then, it doesn't exist by word and/or whatever it is by proxy.  Therefore, I can't be an Atheist.

-Nam

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #399 on: November 23, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
Not an Atheist.  "Atheism" or "Atheist" implies there's a "god/God" or "gods" not to believe in.
By definition, anyone who makes the positive statement that "there is no god to believe in" (as you just have, effectively) is most certainly some form of atheist, since they are claiming that there is no god, and thus lack theistic beliefs (atheist).

Therefore, I can't be an Atheist.
So you're a theist of some kind?

You can't have it both ways. Your argument is semantical, at best.
Former Moderator Account

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »
But I don't make that statement, which is why I feel there should be a "Nothing", 'cause I have absolutely no position either way, whatsoever.

I can't say "there is no god to believe in" 'cause I don't know what "god" is, what definition it has, and if it's just a word someone made up and slapped a definition to.  I could look up the word "Atheism" a couple of hundred years ago, and I doubt it be the universal definition of today.  See my point?

-Nam

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
See my point?
Yes. Semantics. Either you believe that a god exists, for whatever reason (some form of theism) or you don't, for whatever reason (some form of atheism).

Either way, whether we agree or not, the "nothing" option isn't there and isn't likely to be added since Hermes no longer posts here.

Do you see my point?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:47:01 PM by Moderator 11 »
Former Moderator Account

Offline at78rpm

« Reply #402 on: November 25, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
Well, I thought about the question.  Although the author came up with some very good categories, I still find I'm not even an ignostic atheist!  Ah, well. 

For me, the entire question of the validity of Christianity is answered irrevocably by the absolute failure of the world to end in Jesus' time, as he clearly foretold in Mark.  And, no, you can't go on telling me that he didn't mean it in a real sense and all that nonsense.  He expected an apocalypse and it didn't happen.  He's as reliable as Hal Lindsey.

The question of the validity of any other religion is negated for me by the fact that they too are predicated on silliness and misunderstanding.

As for the existence of a supreme being, who the hell cares?  Hasn't nature already shown that it is more powerful than any friggin' character who wants to be worshiped for some alleged divinity?

at78rpm

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #403 on: November 26, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
Off-topic post by Brian Cowen trashed.
Former Moderator Account

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #404 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:26 AM »
Well, I thought about the question.  Although the author came up with some very good categories, I still find I'm not even an ignostic atheist! 

So, you reject Christianity, you reject all other gods and any idea of divinity. You have reached this point through observations that lead you to the irrevocable conclusion that there are no gods.

Does that not mean you are a Dawkins 7 atheist and as such are indeed a Gnostic atheist?

I classify myself as a Gnostic atheist as I know for certain that not only are there no gods, there cannot be gods and there never have been any.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #405 on: December 13, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
Yes. Semantics. Either you believe that a god exists, for whatever reason (some form of theism) or you don't, for whatever reason (some form of atheism).

You do not get it.  It's  not "semantics".  Apparently I can't explain my position to you; it's okay.  I don't fault you.  You're thinking from the only side(s) you know.

Either way, whether we agree or not, the "nothing" option isn't there and isn't likely to be added since Hermes no longer posts here.

Do you see my point?

Sort of a moot one, no?  I mean, if you stated beforehand that Hermes no longer posted here, then, the discussion would've been over at that point, and "we" wouldn't have had this disagreement.  That's your fault, not mine.

-Nam