Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
157 (16.4%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
94 (9.8%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.3%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
273 (28.5%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
87 (9.1%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
37 (3.9%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.6%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 620

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 67913 times)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: What is your religious position? (Now with *Henotheism!* ... hmmm.)
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2009, 10:08:18 PM »
Welcome Davo!

To answer your question, there is none in this poll.  Feel free to fire up your own poll on that subject if you want.

You'll probably agree with me on this: I like fiction yet I try and not mistake it for reality.   ;D
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Davo

« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »
Too true. I should also learn how to spell 'believe' properly, I guess.  ;)

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
Too true. I should also learn how to spell 'believe' properly, I guess.  ;)

Remember the old poem...

I before E
except after C
or when sounded like "a"
as in Neighbor and Weigh.

Of course that still doesn't help people spell Atheist, does it? :)
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
I changed my vote to from Gnostic Atheist to Agnostic Atheist.  It gives you a little breathing room in a debate, I think.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:51 AM »
I chose Agnostic Atheist.  I guess it's the wiggle room thing.  Plus, my signature would be meaningless!

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline DeliriumS

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • i'm alive, cos' i didnt learn what i had to learn.
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:29 PM »
i'm christhian i wonder why im not in the list  &)

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »

Theist = someone who believes in a god or gods.  So if you're a Christian, you're either a gnostic monotheist (you KNOW one God exists) or an agnostic monotheist (you don't KNOW, but you believe one God exists).
God, if you're real, show yourself.  ...still waiting...

Offline DeliriumS

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »

Theist = someone who believes in a god or gods.  So if you're a Christian, you're either a gnostic monotheist (you KNOW one God exists) or an agnostic monotheist (you don't KNOW, but you believe one God exists).

i dont se theist there, do you?

Offline DeliriumS

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »

i dont se theist there, do you? i see gnostic monotheist, but i wanted to put emphasis in my believes, (because you can be monotheist and dont believe in jesus)

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2009, 11:44:35 PM »

i dont se theist there, do you? i see gnostic monotheist, but i wanted to put emphasis in my believes, (because you can be monotheist and dont believe in jesus)

Well the poll is very general.  It can't include all the specific beliefs, otherwise it would be endless.  If you believe Jesus is the one true God, then you're a monotheist.
God, if you're real, show yourself.  ...still waiting...

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:45 AM »
Or a polytheist, depending on how you interpret the Trinity.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

i dont se theist there, do you?

Forget the titles, look at the definitions.  Pick the one(s) that apply to you.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
I don't see methodist in there, Heremes.  Come on, man!!  You're letting us down.

;D  Just kidding!
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »
I don't see methodist in there, Heremes.  Come on, man!!  You're letting us down.

;D  Just kidding!

I'll add it ... along with Scientologist and Raelian as soon as a galactic fleet shows up.   ;D

Offline xopowo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
The entire poll depends on the definition of god
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2009, 04:19:14 AM »
The entire poll is dependant upon the definition of the word god. Since I took the definition to mean: 'A being which is impossible to detect,' I chose agnostic atheist. If at some point in the future, science detects evidence for a superpowerful creature which either created the universe, or life on earth, etc, then it would be a GODLIKE being, but not impossible to detect, and therefore not god.
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered.

Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: The entire poll depends on the definition of god
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »
The entire poll is dependant upon the definition of the word god. Since I took the definition to mean: 'A being which is impossible to detect,' I chose agnostic atheist. If at some point in the future, science detects evidence for a superpowerful creature which either created the universe, or life on earth, etc, then it would be a GODLIKE being, but not impossible to detect, and therefore not god.

The deity or deities in question are defined by the person answering the poll.  Many deities have and are not defined as undetectable, and many are considered very powerful but rarely or never expressing supernatural abilities.  Beyond the fan club mysticism that is popular in later revisions of monotheisms, few deities are 'impossible to detect' though they may not show up to be detected at the time you are looking.   ;)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »
I chose "Ignostic Atheist".

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2009, 01:45:46 AM »
Is there a panentheism option? I like this one the best out of all the options I've looked at.

However, since labels suck, I stick to a single word: 'person'--it sums up all of what I am, who I am, why I am, how I am, and where I am going; it can even help find when I got here. 

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:09 AM »
"Person" isn't a very informative label for a religious position.  Given that you are a poor authority re: your own beliefs, though, it's probably safest.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2009, 03:42:47 AM »
"Person" isn't a very informative label for a religious position.  Given that you are a poor authority re: your own beliefs, though, it's probably safest.

Eh... I gladly choose God... so... person is good enough for me....

Although... I am very fond of panentheism: the universe is part of what God is.  I still think all religious doctrine is right and wrong because doctrines are often senseless.  As a Christian why they are Christian, and why may say what I will say:

Because I accepted Jesus into my heart.

As long as a person does that, this is biblical, the rest is between God and an individual... at least as far as a soul is concerned.

I am very fond of God... All the things I have ever truly desired and prayed for, have come to pass... What else do I need? My father beat me in the name of God, I asked God to save me from my father.  My father, in eight years, has not once hit me. 

I asked God for intelligence and wisdom as a child, because I knew that I would need them.

I asked God for friends when I had none, I now have many.

I asked God for food when I had to wash windows to help feed my family.  I now have more than enough to eat.

I asked God to help me get over my first break up and learn how to love again... I now have the most loving boyfriend I have ever met.

I have been unfaithful though, for one week, I abandoned God, to see if I could handle it.  It was too hard.  My life almost immediately lost all the meaning I had prayed so hard for.  I worked as well, but faith without works is meaningless. 

Not only that.... But I doubt my own religious beliefs on a daily basis.... I often ask myself why I bother believing... Yet, I find it hard not to believe at the same time.

I am a heathon though... I do not follow normal Christian practices.  I think, for instance, that all eras, all cultures, all people have their own "messiah".  A son of God that saves them from their misery.  Just because I like to name the man Jesus son of Yaweh, doesn't mean that I cannot accept Allah or Buddah or even saints and martyrs as being honorably dignified people.  I love St. Augustine.  He was a great man who had a flair for words....

I am weird, I am unique... I am unconventional.... but not at the same time... I still fall under the Christian category because I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again.... so what? My belief harms no one... Christian morals can often damage people... But they can also save people as well...

Just as atheism saves you from being what you detest most, Christianity saved me from being the one word I detested most: hateful.

Call me a liar, I'm cool.... But to call me hateful? That would be like a slap in the face.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2009, 03:46:48 AM »
You're hateful. Did I slap you too hard? Is there a mark?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »
You're hateful. Did I slap you too hard? Is there a mark?

-Nam

I love my enemy and turn the other cheek and then apologize for past things said that cannot be unsaid... Such is life.  I will move on.

How are you today? How is your poetry?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:13 AM »
Is there a panentheism option?

As opposed to Pantheism, nope.  You're the first to mention it.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »
According to Wiki the difference between panentheism and pantheism is that in pantheism, "God is in the whole"; in panentheism, "The whole is in God."

Wiki leaves out a third option: "God is the whole"  That to me is true pantheism.  pan=all.  What does it even mean to say that everything is only a part of god?  That's nonsense.  panentheism is superfluous.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »
Xphobe, that works for me.  If anyone can give a better reason for adding one or more, make your case.

Offline realdemocracy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
According to Wiki the difference between panentheism and pantheism is that in pantheism, "God is in the whole"; in panentheism, "The whole is in God."

Wiki leaves out a third option: "God is the whole"  That to me is true pantheism.  pan=all.  What does it even mean to say that everything is only a part of god?  That's nonsense.  panentheism is superfluous.

Hinduism is a panentheistic religion, and while I am not, and have never been a Hindu, I have examined it a bit (Hare Krishna Temple = delicious, free, vegetarian Indian food...and the monks will come over and talk with you if you're not a "regular," so you get to pick their brains about their religion).  If I understand their notion of it, the creator is Brahma, who created the universe, and exists ubiquitously throughout it.  It is simply the notion that god is omnipresent, kinda like the Christian concept of the holy spirit.

As you say, pantheism is the idea that the universe (or all of reality, if you don't see those two as necessarily synonymous) is god, or as I used to describe it when I called myself a pantheist, divine. 
But at some point I realized that if everything is divine, then divinity is mundane, and thus moot.

Later, I revised that to say that the universe and everything in it contains divinity, though it is obvious that not everything manifests or exhibits that trait, but that gets close to the views of some sects of Buddhism, in which every spirit has within it the Buddha nature, and that the challenge of life (or our several lives) is to actualize our own godliness and become divine.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2009, 01:50:59 AM »
If I understand their notion of it, the creator is Brahma, who created the universe, and exists ubiquitously throughout it.  It is simply the notion that god is omnipresent, kinda like the Christian concept of the holy spirit.

That's not quite correct, RD.  Brahma is the creator, yes, but it is also the fundamental "substance" of which existence itself is composed.  The universe is "made of" Brahma.  It really is pantheism in that sense, but becomes polytheism due to all the lesser gods and spirits they posit in addition.

Offline kevyrat69

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • oh rats.
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
Can I try Karma Sutra even if I don't believe that way?  I just like all those sex positions LOL ;D
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

whatever people are experiencing when they experience God, it's not something they're perceiving in the external world. It's something their brains are making up.
Greta Christina

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
Can I try Karma Sutra even if I don't believe that way?  I just like all those sex positions LOL ;D

Hmmmm ... I think it's in the public domain.  Your actions may be limited by both local laws and willing partners, of course!