Author Topic: anyone from Seattle area?  (Read 623 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
anyone from Seattle area?
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
Just curious.  My husband and I will be vacationing there in June.  Any places not to miss?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: anyone from Seattle area?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »
Just curious.  My husband and I will be vacationing there in June.  Any places not to miss?

I used to live in Olympia, about 50 miles south of Seattle.  Lots of stuff in the area depending on what your interests are.  Two things that I'd recommend.  Take a harbor cruise and do the underground tour.   Oh, don't miss Pike Street Market.  That's fun.   A lot of people go up to the top of the Space Needle, but to me it's not worth the ridiculous amount that they charge you for the ride.   If you like mountains, go over to Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula.  Beautiful views of the Olympics -- as long as it's clear, that is.  Expect to have more gray than clear days.  Actually, in June, that could go either way.  You might get lucky.   Hope that this was of some help to you.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »
We just got back from a short trip to visit friends on Anacortes Island, about 1 1/2 hours north of Seattle.  We spent the first day in Seattle proper.  I agree that Pike Place Market is definitely a fun place.  You can spend a whole day there.  Watch the salmon throwing, but don't overlook the quirky little shops "down under".  And if you're a coffee addict like me you have to make the obligatory pilgrimage to the very first Starbucks store just down the street.

You might also like the Experience Music Project Jimi Hendrix Museum.  I'm a big Hendrix fan, but even if you aren't, there's also a science fiction museum and hall of fame there which I'm sure you will find fascinating.

Being from Houston, I couldn't pass up the chance to go skiing at Steven's Pass.  Great weather for it, but not sure how it will be in June.

We didn't do the Space Needle.  Seattle has lots of tall buildings now so it just didn't look that impressive anymore, and as dmnemaine says it's too expensive.

edit:  Oh one other interesting thing to do is to go see the Ballard (Chittenden) Locks.  They have a guided tour of the locks and you can see the boats get processed through from one side to the other.  They have an observation room with windows built into the side of the salmon ladder, and if you go during salmon spawning season you can watch the salmon swimming through.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:29:06 PM by xphobe »
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Dark_Fist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Lift your skinny fists like antennas to Heaven.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:06:24 PM »
The Arboretum is very nice if you've got good weather and would like to take in the nature. I would also highly recommend exploring the Seattle Central Library, which was designed by Rem Koolhaas.
"How do we know that our holy books are free from error? Because the books themselves say so. Epistemological black holes of this sort are fast draining the light from our world." - Sam Harris, The End Of Faith

Offline Rainier22

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Now lies the Earth all Danae to the stars
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
Since you're a geologist, it seems an absolute must to me for you to visit Rainier and St. Helens.  Also, the basalt flows and floods of Lake Missoula are clearly visible just a bit east of the Cascades. 

There is a beautiful view of Seattle from Safeco Field believe it or not.    It looks surreal. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Since you're a geologist, it seems an absolute must to me for you to visit Rainier and St. Helens.  Also, the basalt flows and floods of Lake Missoula are clearly visible just a bit east of the Cascades. 

There is a beautiful view of Seattle from Safeco Field believe it or not.    It looks surreal. 

I'm going to Rainier for sure.  We're going to be staying downtown at the Grand Hyatt and then depending on tours etc to get out of the city since we'r flying in and not getting a rental car.  Maybe St. Helens on the next trip!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:20 PM »
Did you go to the Discovery Institute?

(chortle)

http://www.discovery.org/
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:05 AM »
Did you go to the Discovery Institute?

(chortle)

http://www.discovery.org/

Ugghhh.  Nice... so they're trying to reinvent themselves as some sort of highbrow enviro-cultural think tank.

I would not have sought them out when I was visiting Seattle.  Living in Texas, I have enough kaflugel to deal with right here at home.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
you haev no idea how tempted I was to do just that.  Hypocritical morons.  But I was there to have a stressless vacation.