Author Topic: (No Subject) [#234]  (Read 1252 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
(No Subject) [#234]
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
Dear Friends,

I was excited to find your website after viewing a clip on youtube. I have been working
on a book for the past several months dealing with your same concerns: god being
imaginary and why people must wake up and realize this. I doubt it will ever be a best
seller, but it's fun for me to write nevertheless.

I wanted to thank you for posting the truth about religion and those who follow it. How
much better our world would be if religion wasn't allowed!

If there is anyway that I can help further your endeavor, please let me know and I hope
that you continue in success as you tell the truth!

Sincerely,
[Name]

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: (No Subject) [#234]
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
Join us! 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
Great!   There are a few writers here as well.  For example most of the folks on this web site ...

http://www.stateofprotest.com/blog/

... also post messages on the Why Won't God Heal Amputees forums;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php

If you want to join us, come on over!
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • This is just a simulation.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »
I wanted to thank you for posting the truth about religion and those who follow it. How

Do you honestly think/believe that banning religion would make this world a better place? I cincerely hope you made a typo there.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »

Do you honestly think/believe that banning religion would make this world a better place? I cincerely hope you made a typo there.

I suspect it's not a typo.  I also agree that the world would be better if there was no religion making everyone see an "us" and "them".  There are enough reasons people do this already, and we don't need the idea that "my imaginary friend is better than yours" being part of the mix.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:00:06 AM »

I suspect it's not a typo.  I also agree that the world would be better if there was no religion making everyone see an "us" and "them".  There are enough reasons people do this already, and we don't need the idea that "my imaginary friend is better than yours" being part of the mix.

Umm, it said 'banning'..wake up!

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
Hmmm.   You've got a good point there.  I didn't read the OP closely enough and just noticed the positive enthusiasm. 

While I don't agree with the OP's negative sentiment, it's an attitude not a brain defect and might be there for understandable reasons; surrounded by aggressive theists, a recent deconvert, fascination with a new subject, ... .  I'd like to hear a clarification from the OP -- maybe like my haste they were equally hasty and had a different idea in mind.

To the point;

Banning religion: Not possible.  The experiments have been tried.  The Greeks and Romans and even the Kahns did not bother with this (well, till the Romans forced Christianity at the sword and the Greeks banned all churches that were not Greek Orthodox (note the visible return of 'pagans' when this ban was only lifted this past year because of EU laws Greece is subject to).  In more modern times, the Communists (USSR and China) tried it, and decided that they would work with religious groups instead of persecuting them.  In the case of the old USSR, this was quite a mutual arrangement.

Having religion go away naturally: Possible but not likely. 

The real issue: Superstition or Supernaturalism or both depending on where you draw the line. 

A virtue from science and philosophy is to hold any supported idea as true but to do so tentatively.

I'm OK with someone who is a cultural Christian (or theist) who has respect for others.  The problem is that the books, if taken seriously, have some nasty things in them.  T. Jefferson was right to snip out 90% of the NT and keep only 10% as a reference for his personal use.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

yup, I know. 

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »

yup, I know. 

so you think after we've banned religion there would no longer be any we and them...wow, can I move to your planet too?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

yup, I know. 

so you think after we've banned religion there would no longer be any we and them...wow, can I move to your planet too?

please read the bolded.

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
please read the bolded.

yeah..so?

<sigh>  I never said that getting rid of religon would eliminate the idea of "us" and "them". 

Offline Gargaroth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »
please read the bolded.

yeah..so?

<sigh>  I never said that getting rid of religon would eliminate the idea of "us" and "them". 

no, it would add to it...<sigh> back at ya...