Reading about cults has actually been beneficial to me. I've learned that people can make outrageous claims about being god or a prophet, and that even within their lifetime they can quickly amass large quantities of disciples who will follow them even into death.
I've also learned from studing the mass media that even in this electronic age where everything can be recorded digitally for posterity, claims can still be taken out of context, or exaggerated, or manipulated. And the more years that go by, the more likely are errors in copying or outright intentional changes.
(1) some Judean preacher named Jesus actually lived.
(2) he said all the things he is supposed to have said.
(3) he wasn't deluded himself.
(4) no "facts" about God have been added after the fact by later enthusiastic editors.
(5) contrary to the billions of people who practice Islam or Hinduism, Christians are right.