Author Topic: Post Your Most Shocking Bible Verse  (Read 4019 times)

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
Post Your Most Shocking Bible Verse
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
Hey, I thought it would be cool to post your most shocking Bible verses here.  Try to use ones that are little known or obscure.  I'm starting to prepare to push my Kill Religion campaign, and I need the best you atheists got!

Thanks!

EDIT:  PLEASE INCLUDE CHAPTER AND VERSE!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:23:43 AM by inveni0 »
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
Re: Post Your Most Shocking Bible Verse
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Luke 14:26
If anyone comes to me and does not hate vis father and mother, vis wife and children, vis brothers and sisters—yes, even ver own life—ve cannot be my disciple.

Fixed for gender neutrality.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:09 AM »
Vis?
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
Inveni0, I'm not fooled by YOUR religious propaganda.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »
Vis?

I said, fixed for gender neutrality.

ve = he, she
ver = him, her
vis = his, hers
verself = himself, herself

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »
Inveni0, I'm not fooled by YOUR religious propaganda.

Good for you.

To everyone else, can you include chapter and verse?

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
Fixed for gender neutrality.
Which is nonsense, because the bible was never meant to be a gender neutral text. The bible is (and was meant to be) biased, which is one of the signs of its non-divine nature.

It´s a document of a highly patriarchal culture and a society seeing little to no value in woman.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:44:15 AM by Asmoday »
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
Genesis 1
1: In the beginning

I find this to be the most shocking biblical verse conceivable, shocking that anyone of a sane mind would take this to be anything more then just words on paper and to constantly use dishonesty through presuppositional argumentation in defense of that idea that it is anything more then words on paper.

This is where the religious argument ends, it ends the very second you point to the obvious lack in every single statement made as if it were true that there is simply no reason to believe it.  The only argument for religion made is one where the presumption that god exists is made and then every answer is simply an empty tautological rationalization back to the presupposition.  This is a dishonest charade where one who is professing and defending religion can't even begin by telling you why that person need even be believed at all.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Genesis 1
1: In the beginning

I find this to be the most shocking biblical verse conceivable, shocking that anyone of a sane mind would take this to be anything more then just words on paper and to constantly use dishonesty through presuppositional argumentation in defense of that idea that it is anything more then words on paper.

This is where the religious argument ends, it ends the very second you point to the obvious lack in every single statement made as if it were true that there is simply no reason to believe it.  The only argument for religion made is one where the presumption that god exists is made and then every answer is simply an empty tautological rationalization back to the presupposition.  This is a dishonest charade where one who is professing and defending religion can't even begin by telling you why that person need even be believed at all.

You are so right, Omen.  I would love to get into the whole purpose of my campaign with you (because I think you'd see that it's not quite what you expect...it really is designed to eradicate religion), but right now I'm looking for parts of the Bible that are insane.  I want to put together some things that challenge the religious to read the Bible for what it is: a book written thousands of years ago by uneducated cavemen (practically).  I believe that coming to this realization is a good founding point for getting people to do what they should do AS PEOPLE, and not as a club.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »
"You atheists"?  I'm not sure of your purpose here.  Are you one more theist who wants to run away from the word "religion" and wants to attack it but still claim their belief is true? 

With the possible exception of the golden rule, which has been around much longer than the bible, the book is full of shocking verses.  Shocking that anyone in the 21st century, still thinks that they are valid.  It is a compliation of rules conjured up by xenophobic agrarians to explain on how the universe works and why men of that tribe/belief are so very special. 

Now, I think the most ignorant verse from the Bible commands to not wear mixed fiber clothing. Like God should care?

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
"You atheists"?  I'm not sure of your purpose here.  Are you one more theist who wants to run away from the word "religion" and wants to attack it but still claim their belief is true? 

With the possible exception of the golden rule, which has been around much longer than the bible, the book is full of shocking verses.  Shocking that anyone in the 21st century, still thinks that they are valid.  It is a compliation of rules conjured up by xenophobic agrarians to explain on how the universe works and why men of that tribe/belief are so very special. 

Now, I think the most ignorant verse from the Bible commands to not wear mixed fiber clothing. Like God should care?

The golden rule is the only rule I advocate.  So, that's where I stand.

Can you provide chapter and verse for some of these others?

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Quote from: Luke 14:26
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
You are so right, Omen.  I would love to get into the whole purpose of my campaign with you (because I think you'd see that it's not quite what you expect...it really is designed to eradicate religion),

Problem, what you claim is as much a religion as what they claim.  The only difference is topical.

but right now I'm looking for parts of the Bible that are insane.

And I gave you insanity, an entire population of human beings that take words on paper to mean anything at all that is above and beyond words on paper.  That IS shocking, that IS insane.

I want to put together some things that challenge the religious to read the Bible for what it is: a book written thousands of years ago by uneducated cavemen (practically).  I believe that coming to this realization is a good founding point for getting people to do what they should do AS PEOPLE, and not as a club.

So what? You're still presuming a god at some point based on an entirely arbitrary/subjective line of reasoning.  Simply because you randomly choose to believe in a god based on a slightly different interpretation doesn't make their interpretation any more or less then your own.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »

The golden rule is the only rule I advocate.  So, that's where I stand.

Can you provide chapter and verse for some of these others?

I find that this is hard to believe.  You have claimed that you believe Jesus to be the Son of God (http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=6680.msg168880#msg168880)  Jesus said many more things than the golden rule.  He said that he intentionally made sure that some people would never be saved. Not exactly "do unto others" is it? 

Sorry, inveni0, I'm not interested in helping you cherrypick. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »
Wow.  You guys are sad.

Nevermind.  I'll do it myself.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
Hosea 13:16  The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their god. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.

How illuminating.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
Hosea 13:16  The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their god. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.

How illuminating.

Nasty.

Thanks for that!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:08 PM »
Esther 9

1 On the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, the month of Adar, the edict commanded by the king was to be carried out. On this day the enemies of the Jews had hoped to overpower them, but now the tables were turned and the Jews got the upper hand over those who hated them. 2 The Jews assembled in their cities in all the provinces of King Xerxes to attack those seeking their destruction. No one could stand against them, because the people of all the other nationalities were afraid of them.

5 The Jews struck down all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying them, and they did what they pleased to those who hated them. 6 In the citadel of Susa, the Jews killed and destroyed five hundred men. 7 They also killed Parshandatha, Dalphon, Aspatha, 8 Poratha, Adalia, Aridatha, 9 Parmashta, Arisai, Aridai and Vaizatha, 10 the ten sons of Haman son of Hammedatha, the enemy of the Jews. But they did not lay their hands on the plunder.

13 "If it pleases the king," Esther answered, "give the Jews in Susa permission to carry out this day's edict tomorrow also, and let Haman's ten sons be hanged on gallows."

14 So the king commanded that this be done. An edict was issued in Susa, and they hanged the ten sons of Haman. 15 The Jews in Susa came together on the fourteenth day of the month of Adar, and they put to death in Susa three hundred men, but they did not lay their hands on the plunder.

Note that they killed Haman's sons... and then hanged them afterwards!  Family friendly values at work here!
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »

How illuminating.
\

Not only that, but according to Psalm 137:9 it will make God happy to bash the little baby heads against the rocks.

Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
Wow.  You guys are sad.

Nevermind.  I'll do it myself.
Is anyone supposed to feel a pang of guilt over you having to go take your ball and play in another playground somewhere? I don't think it's going to work. it won't with me. You want me to feel guilty? Nothing in thuh bile bull will get the slightest pang of guilt out of me.
I should have called it ByBull...sh*t..much more fitting.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:41:48 PM by mram »
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
Quote from: Nam 19:1
If anyone comes to me and doesn't lick my feet, or bathe in my urine, ye shall be placed on a pedestal and gawked at for all eternity!

This is one of the more obscure ones.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Crocoduck

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Nothing Fails Like Prayer.
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
Matt 27:52-53
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
atheism is not a religion... it is a personal relationship with reality.
V00d00Sixxx Youtube Channel

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:37 PM »
Wow what a gong show... i'm surprised people believe this nonsense... wonder how the believers would feel if any of this was done to them
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Wow what a gong show... i'm surprised people believe this nonsense... wonder how the believers would feel if any of this was done to them

Especially the one I posted. People actually believe that if they don't do those things that will actually happen to them.

Shameful.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline RaptorJesus

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Internet Cake Machine
    • The book of 4chan
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »

Especially the one I posted. People actually believe that if they don't do those things that will actually happen to them.

Shameful.

-Nam

truly makes me wonder if the human race wants to evolve... i learned about quantum physics and cold fusion the other day.. Now i'm just craving more knowledge ( hence the collegisims )
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:24:31 PM by RaptorJesus »
Jamie: I understanding these things [SCUBA tanks] have about a million—or actually, it's 1.3 million—pounds of explosive force. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a lot.

Offline essgeeskee

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 02:09:20 AM »
Acts 5:30 (KJV)
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Note it doesn't say cross in the KJV. Look in almost any other version and the word tree has been changed to cross.

"Follow your intuition!"

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 02:28:18 AM »
Genesis 1
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=1&version=9

Right here.
I'm with Omen on this.  This is the largest assumption possible, and it's also the second most arrogant in the whole book, following on the heels of:

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Here we have the arrogance of projecting our own image upon the creator of the universe.  Why would God be bilaterally symetrical, why would god have an appendix, a penis, or fingernails?  What color would his eyes have been?

Why would god have nosehair, or eyes for that matter?  He made light.

These are the most shocking verses in the bible, not because they depict the utter cruelty of man towards fellow man, there are plenty of verses that do that.  Everything from genocide to rape, murder and slavery is not only condoned it is supposedly the devine will.  Nope.  The vilest thing is to project ourselves as the masters and creators of the universe, ignoring all the rather obvious evidence that we're designed for the planet we're on.  Very little could show with greater efficiency that it's all so much wishful thinking.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:49 AM »
On the importance of angels:

Genesis 19: 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."
Git mit uns

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 05:07:37 AM »
Don't see why you want to nit-pick on simple phrases, Inveni0. People will just use "mistranslated" or "out of context" as an excuse.
You should really look at the stories. Stories like this one below only BEG for an explanation as to why we should support this kind of behavior (It looks long, but it's really short) :

Samson’s Unconsummated Marriage
Judges 14:1 Samson went down to Timnah, where a Philistine girl caught his eye. 1  14:2 When he got home, 2  he told his father and mother, “A Philistine girl in Timnah has caught my eye. 3  Now get her for my wife.”

14:4 Now his father and mother did not realize this was the Lord’s doing, 8  because he was looking for an opportunity to stir up trouble with the Philistines 9  (for at that time the Philistines were ruling Israel).

14:5 Samson went down to Timnah. When he approached the vineyards of Timnah, he saw a roaring young lion attacking him.

14:6 The Lord’s spirit empowered him and he tore the lion in two with his bare hands as easily as one would tear a young goat. But he did not tell his father or mother what he had done.

14:7 Samson continued on down to Timnah  and spoke to the girl.  14:8 Some time later, when he went back to marry her, he turned aside to see the lion’s remains. He saw  a swarm of bees in the lion’s carcass, as well as some honey. 14:9 He scooped it up with his hands and ate it as he walked along.

14:10 Then Samson’s father accompanied him to Timnah for the marriage.  ---> 14:12 Samson said to them, “I will give you a riddle. If you really can solve it during the seven days the party lasts, I will give you thirty linen robes and thirty sets of clothes. 14:13 But if you cannot solve it,  you will give me thirty linen robes and thirty sets of clothes.”

14:14 He said to them, “Out of the one who eats came something to eat;
out of the strong one came something sweet.” They could not solve the riddle for three days.

14:15 On the fourth day they said to Samson’s bride, “Trick your husband into giving the solution to the riddle.  If you refuse, we will burn up you and your father’s family. Did you invite us here  to make us poor?”  14:16 So Samson’s bride cried on his shoulder and said, “You must hate me; you do not love me! You told the young men a riddle, but you have not told me the solution.” He said to her, “Look, I have not even told my father or mother. Do you really expect me to tell you?” -->

Finally, on the seventh day, he told her because she had nagged him so much. Then she told the young men the solution to the riddle.

14:18 On the seventh day, before the sun set, the men of the city said to him, “What is sweeter than honey? What is stronger than a lion?”
He said to them, “If you had not plowed with my heifer, you would not have solved my riddle!”

14:19 The Lord’s spirit empowered him. He went down to Ashkelon and murdered thirty men. He took their clothes  and gave them to the men who had solved the riddle. He was furious as he went back home. 14:20 Samson’s bride was then given to his best man."

Might not be the most shocking, but if people want to say this is the lord's words from his sweet, sweet breath, tell him to gargle. This story is among the most preposterous I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:12:12 AM by IAmFirst »
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D