Author Topic: Questions... [#1654]  (Read 242 times)

Offline DL

Questions... [#1654]
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
Hiya, I am a new member of your website. Got a few questions in my mind but i guess
i'll start with these. Gladly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Firstly, on the
fall of Lucifer and the angels. What seems odd to me is that why God did not just
'erase' them of their existence when they rebelled instead of throwing them them to
hell. If God is truly the one who created them, this should be an easy task,isn't it
so? Wouldn't it be better this way because humanity would then never be tempted to
conduct 'sins' as their is no evil to influence them to begin with?  Hence, world
peace and so on.....

Secondly, a bit of a random thought . Here's a sort of an example. Assuming we do
create machines with AI's or some other thinking abilities. What gives us the right
to boss it around and do our bidding? Some people justify this by saying we are
their creators and hence, we have the right. But wouldn't any of us feel bad if we
just treat them like garbage or scrap metals even thought their just machines? I
think the same concept applies to humans. Why should we submit to God's will solely
because he created us? (if that is true...) 

Gladly await responses

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Questions... [#1654]
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
Hiya, I am a new member of your website. Got a few questions in my mind but i guess
i'll start with these. Gladly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Firstly, on the
fall of Lucifer and the angels. What seems odd to me is that why God did not just
'erase' them of their existence when they rebelled instead of throwing them them to
hell. If God is truly the one who created them, this should be an easy task,isn't it
so? Wouldn't it be better this way because humanity would then never be tempted to
conduct 'sins' as their is no evil to influence them to begin with?  Hence, world
peace and so on.....

Yep.  I tend to summarize it like this when Christians talk about Satan/Lucifer/the Devi/... as acting on the world;

"Why can't your deity do something about your demons?  Is it incapable, unwilling, or in agreement with what you say your demons are doing?"

I never get a response to that.  I wonder why?

Secondly, a bit of a random thought . Here's a sort of an example. Assuming we do
create machines with AI's or some other thinking abilities. What gives us the right
to boss it around and do our bidding? Some people justify this by saying we are
their creators and hence, we have the right. But wouldn't any of us feel bad if we
just treat them like garbage or scrap metals even thought their just machines? I
think the same concept applies to humans. Why should we submit to God's will solely
because he created us? (if that is true...) 

Gladly await responses

I agree again.  There are reasons for laws to protect against child abuse or to punish people who abuse children.  Swap the roles around using other characters -- self-aware machines, gods, regular humans -- and I think you're talking about the same basic issues.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Questions... [#1654]
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:38:05 PM »
It is like all good fairy tails.  You have to have good and evil or else the story has nowhere to go.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!