Author Topic: I've watched like... [#1637]  (Read 275 times)

Offline DL

I've watched like... [#1637]
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
I've watched like... five of your videos. Honestly, I couldn't go on because it's the same militant atheist rhetoric that can be neatly filed away with all sorts of other things under the "shit I'm tired of hearing" file somewhere in the back of my thoughts and eventually forgotten. The reason why I am making this comment, though, isn't to attack your atheist viewpoints as I don't give a shit what you don't believe in, but because your videos are there to help/make me "prove to myself" that God isn't real. I find that odd, because if I wanted to prove something to myself it certainly wouldn't be about the existence of (no evidence for or against) some deity. I don't know if that was your original goal, kind of like some weird "Rocky runs up the stairs and discovers no gods exist!!!111" self-realization moment or something else. If it's something? else, then I suggest a different line.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: I've watched like... [#1637]
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »
I've watched like... five of your videos. Honestly, I couldn't go on because it's the same militant atheist rhetoric that can be neatly filed away with all sorts of other things under the "shit I'm tired of hearing" file somewhere in the back of my thoughts and eventually forgotten.

That's what I'm doing to your message.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
Man, it was like I was reading 1984 all over again. Or was that Mein Kampf. Who knows, both of them went on forever without a breath.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

Gawd, I am sooo fucking leet.  You pathetic atheist people just don't know.  I'd tell you but I'm already filled with massive ennui merely at the thought of going on another day knowing there are people less awesome than I am in the world.  You must be all militant and shit, because, hey you told me to think for myself, and that's the kind of shit that just doesn't fly with me.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't go on because it's the same militant atheist rhetoric that can be neatly filed away with all sorts of other things under the "shit I'm tired of hearing" file somewhere in the back of my thoughts and eventually forgotten.

Congratulations!  You started to think like a rational person by watching some videos that put you outside of your comfortable little religious safety blanket.

Unfortunately you hit a wall and fell in a ball of fire and sank back down to idiocy.  Congratulations.  Your prize is eternal bliss at the cost of your brain.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »
I've watched like... five of your videos. Honestly, I couldn't go on because it's the same militant atheist rhetoric

Really?  Like with guns and bombs and things?  If the videos advocate violence or even bigotry or social disruption, please point it out to me.  I use my words aggressively, but am not into violence or any subversive actions and would not support those actions in other people.

that can be neatly filed away with all sorts of other things under the "s**t I'm tired of hearing" file somewhere in the back of my thoughts and eventually forgotten.

OK, then don't watch the videos.

The reason why I am making this comment, though, isn't to attack your atheist viewpoints as I don't give a s**t what you don't believe in, but because your videos are there to help/make me "prove to myself" that God isn't real. I find that odd, because if I wanted to prove something to myself it certainly wouldn't be about the existence of (no evidence for or against) some deity. I don't know if that was your original goal, kind of like some weird "Rocky runs up the stairs and discovers no gods exist!!!111" self-realization moment or something else. If it's something? else, then I suggest a different line.

Not sure of your point.  If you are wondering, there are quite a few people who have found the videos helpful, and quite a few others who energetically question the premises and the content of the videos.  That you personally did not find them helpful is not too surprising.  Not everyone will find them helpful.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer