Author Topic: hello [#1615]  (Read 225 times)

Offline DL

hello [#1615]
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »

i watched a video that u made and i should say that it takes a mature christian to answer those questions. i myself is still young in my belief and i cannot quote or answer most of what ur video asks nor do i have any scientific data to prove your speculations wrong. but this i know..i will forever stand by my faith and believe in my Savior who died for me. when all things have passed away..the truth will be reveiled. this is what i believe. thank you for your videos as it strengthened my faith towards Him. God bless you sir.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: hello [#1615]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »
i watched a video that u made and i should say that it takes a mature christian to answer those questions.

Agreed.  That's why many of the videos mention that the intended audience are Christians with a college education.

i myself is still young in my belief and i cannot quote or answer most of what ur video asks nor do i have any scientific data to prove your speculations wrong.

If you want, you can send your priest or preacher or someone you trust over to the forums to talk with us.

To use the videos you only need three things;

1. A basic understanding of logic.  (Usually learned in college, but college is not necessary.)
2. A Bible.  Here are a bunch of them: http://www.biblegateway.com
3. Time and consideration to review the comments in the Bible against what the videos actually say.

As for science or speculation, the videos or web site don't require either.  Speculation is fine in philosophy when we don't know something and are toying around with an idea.  Science is fine regardless of anyone's religious ideas to help understand the nature of reality.

If, on the other hand, you are intending to use the videos as a way to challenge and strengthen your religious beliefs, I recommend going to a different site where Christians only talk to Christians.  At this site theologians, evangelicals, and priests/preachers have left Christianity due in part to the ideas and facts introduced to them here.

but this i know..i will forever stand by my faith and believe in my Savior who died for me. when all things have passed away..the truth will be reveiled. this is what i believe. thank you for your videos as it strengthened my faith towards Him. God bless you sir.

Well, that answers that.  If you are not as close minded as you seem to be proudly stating you are in your final words, consider the following.

Even if there is a deity -- yours or some other deity, it doesn't matter -- that deity can not grant you anything in an afterlife.  It can't because there is no such thing as a soul.

Am I just making things up?  See for yourself, and judge for yourself;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=6546

If you find any holes, I'm open to having them corrected.

One person said they are working on a challenge to these ideas, and after a few weeks of investigation, they say they expect to have something next month.  Are you faster or more aware of some details than they are?  Is your priest or preacher?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
Re: hello [#1615]
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »
...nor do i have any scientific data to prove your speculations wrong.

Neither does anyone else. It's quite remarkable, really. The search for evidence to disprove atheism--a search which has gone on for thousands of years--has been a 100% failure. No one has ever come up with any unambiguous evidence indicating the existence of any god.

But then I have to ask myself, what kind of evidence would I accept? There are many possibilities, but how about the Bible for starters? Or Bible is really a total failure. How about if someone came up with a holy book in which the god did not closely resemble a human tyrant? You know--a god who appears more god-like. It would be good if the holy book advocated a morality at least as good as my own non-theistic morality. It would also be nice if that holy book didn't make claims about the physical world that were demonstrably wrong. And if the major events in that book could be corroborated by historical evidence.

I would also like to see the various passages of such a holy book labeled "literal" or "figurative/poetic" as appropriate, so we don't have to guess which is which. This would prevent a lot of wars and dinner table arguments.

In fact, I insist that any communication from any deity be unambiguous and not loaded with excess baggage that seems to suggest a human agenda behind it. It's the only way to get people to do the right thing. I kind of expect a truly omniscient being to know that. I'm NOT omniscient, and I know it.

Why don't you stick around here on WWGHA and tell me why my requirements are unreasonable?
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles