Author Topic: Genesis, Chapter 3.  (Read 4137 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
Re: Genesis, Chapter 3.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
so god changed? but he was perfect from the beginning so now he's imperfect since perfection cannot improve

god being perfect and unchanging is the understanding that modern followers of the abrahamic religions have.  The idea of god evolved. The way god is defined evolved.  That is the reality.  Theists today do not understand history or how earlier theists understood their god.

I get the feeling we are not on the same page here.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
He is Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscient.

But that was not true when the Pentateuch was written.  What is the first commandment?  "You shall have no other gods before me."  It does not say other gods do not exist.  It says the hebrews must put yhwh first.

Isaiah 48:16

Come near me and listen to this:
       "From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret;
       at the time it happens, I am there."
       And now the Sovereign LORD has sent me,
       with his Spirit.

??  Sorry, chum.  I do not see any reference to an omnimax deity.

; Matthew 28:19; John 6:27; Acts 5:3,4; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Hebrews 1:8)

Those writings are in the NT.  The NT was written 6-7 centuries after the Babylonian exile. 

Odd since the Bible clearly states he was all of the above:

You might want to dial back on the hubris and ask questions.  Friendly suggestion.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
He is Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscient.

But that was not true when the Pentateuch was written.  What is the first commandment?  "You shall have no other gods before me."  It does not say other gods do not exist.  It says the hebrews must put yhwh first.

Isaiah 48:16

Come near me and listen to this:
       "From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret;
       at the time it happens, I am there."
       And now the Sovereign LORD has sent me,
       with his Spirit.

??  Sorry, chum.  I do not see any reference to an omnimax deity.

; Matthew 28:19; John 6:27; Acts 5:3,4; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Hebrews 1:8)

Those writings are in the NT.  The NT was written 6-7 centuries after the Babylonian exile. 

Odd since the Bible clearly states he was all of the above:

You might want to dial back on the hubris and ask questions.  Friendly suggestion.

Major fail. Its a  Biblical fault. Its written in the Bible. The word Christian did not appear until 40 years after Jesus death but that does not stop them from assuming he was Christian.
"You shall have no other gods before me."

Whats this got to do with God asking where they were? Its got nothing to do with Gods before him.
It does not say other gods do not exist

Agian your avoiding the the question. How come he did not know where they were? If you cannot answer it say so.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
An old but totally rockin' analysis by KCrady on this very topic.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forum/index.php?topic=2822.0

That angle should really be made into a childrens' cartoon.  It would be a much more useful lesson-story than the interpretation that is generally taught.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
Major fail. Its a  Biblical fault. Its written in the Bible.

My point is the idea of god evolved.  At one point the god that is now called God did not have the same attributes as God.  It was not omni- anything.  It was a little god in a little pantheon of gods which belonged to a small, backwater, tribal people in the middle east.  In support of my point, it is not a fail. 

I am not sure where you are coming from. What is your argument here? 

The word Christian did not appear until 40 years after Jesus death but that does not stop them from assuming he was Christian.

This has fuck all to do with the topic at hand.

Whats this got to do with God asking where they were? Its got nothing to do with Gods before him.

If you had followed the conversation, you would understand how my response indirectly addresses that question.  Follow the conversation.  Read what I am writing.  I suggest you go back over the posts and reread them.  You have missed major points along the way.

Agian your avoiding the the question. How come he did not know where they were? If you cannot answer it say so.

I already told you why.  yhwh did not know where they were because yhwh was not an omnipresent, omniscient god.  That god did not emerge until about a thousand years later. 

You are starting to convince me you are an idiot.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »
Major fail. Its a  Biblical fault. Its written in the Bible.

My point is the idea of god evolved.  At one point the god that is now called God did not have the same attributes as God.  It was not omni- anything.  It was a little god in a little pantheon of gods which belonged to a small, backwater, tribal people in the middle east.  In support of my point, it is not a fail.  

I am not sure where you are coming from. What is your argument here?  

The word Christian did not appear until 40 years after Jesus death but that does not stop them from assuming he was Christian.

This has f**k all to do with the topic at hand.

If you had followed the conversation, you would understand how my response indirectly addresses that question.  Follow the conversation.  Read what I am writing.  I suggest you go back over the posts and reread them.  You have missed major points along the way.

I already told you why.  yhwh did not know where they were because yhwh was not an omnipresent, omniscient god.  That god did not emerge until about a thousand years later.  

You have already convinced me you cannot answer the question by making excuses as to why he could find them. I would suggest you refrain from the name calling I have not slung insults at you so I would appreciate the same courtesy if you cannot handle it get out of it by making more lame excuses and then leave.

I already told you why.  yhwh did not know where they were because yhwh was not an omnipresent, omniscient god.  That god did not emerge until about a thousand years later.  

So what your saying here is that there were two Gods at work at the time.

This has f**k all to do with the topic at hand.

Nope afraid it don't sorry.

My point is the idea of god evolved.  At one point the god that is now called God did not have the same attributes as God.  It was not omni- anything.  It was a little god in a little pantheon of gods which belonged to a small, backwater, tribal people in the middle east.  In support of my point, it is not a fail.  

Two in one. I see.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:48:21 PM by Pale Rider »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
You have already convinced me you cannot answer the question by making excuses as to why he could find them.

If you do not want to be called an idiot then drop the arrogant tone and read what I have actually written.  I don't think you know what I am talking about.  I think you are going off half-cocked because you do not understand a word I have written.  Because you have not taken my friendly advice to tone down the arrogant attitude and ask questions, nor have you apparently bothered to reread my posts, you are still proceeding with a profound misunderstanding of my point. 

I am going to throw you a lifeline because I am a generous guy. I think I know the heart of your misunderstanding.  But rather than come right out with it, I'd like you to answer two questions.   They demand more than a couple of sentences.  Think about them carefully.  Be thorough.  If you do that, I may be able to get you straightened out. 

1. What is your argument (other than I am wrong about everything)?

2. What do you think my argument is? 

As an aside, there is no need to quote the entire post and then repeat the pieces you respond to.  Look at how everyone else does it, and emulate them.  Your way is annoying and eventually you will run afoul of mod 11.  Excessive quoting is his pet peeve.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials