Author Topic: This site is rediculous (and hilarious)  (Read 1901 times)

Scathen

This site is rediculous (and hilarious)
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

Let's invent a new ism, say "Dragonism - the belief in dragons". Now everyone pick a side. You are either a Dragonist or an Adragonist. Now create a web site where thousands of people can argue for or against dragonism. Can't you all see the rediculousness of taking something like this seriously?

While I once used to converse in religious arguments, I woke up and realised the stupidity of the context itself. I can only imagine a world where the time spent in religious arguments was spent doing something useful. It is perplexing to think that this is probably one of the most discussed topics in the world. Even if only one person reads this and realises their time can be put to better use, then I have achieved something. This will be my first and only post on this forum site.

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
Re: This site is rediculous (and hilarious)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »
ok. thanks for wasting your time...
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:08:56 PM »
This will be my first and only post on this forum site.

No, it won't.

Offline InvisiblePinkUnicorn

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »

Let's invent a new ism, say "Dragonism - the belief in dragons". Now everyone pick a side. You are either a Dragonist or an Adragonist. Now create a web site where thousands of people can argue for or against dragonism. Can't you all see the rediculousness of taking something like this seriously?

Say what you will, but religious beliefs pose possibly the greatest threat to the earth at this point in time.  One religious nut + one nuke = 10 million people dead.
All edits in my posts are for typo correction unless otherwise explicitly stated.

"In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners."

-Jonathon Miller

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Your spelling is rediculus, and hilarreus.

Offline bigdamhero

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
During my deconversion this site has been one of my few comforts. Living in the bible belt in a family of fundies this has been my only refuge from the insanity, as well as a source of knowledge like few I've encountered. I won't allow your redicule of this site get to me, but i thought you should know just how much help some of the knowledgeable and kind people on this site have been to myself (and i can only imagine, many others.)
Me to my minister father, "If you want to truly understand why I'm an atheist, read the bible again"

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »
Look at the State of Texas and their State BOE trying to impose religious beliefs into the public school curriculum.  Religous nuts killing abortion doctors.  Not being able to run for office if you are an atheist.  And many many many more.  Someone must keep bringing this kind of stuff up.  The net has allowed us to see that we are not alone.

Why did you even post if you do not want to share ideas?  What would be so wrong if you realized that there is no god?  Would you run out and start to rape and pillage?  
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
I'd like to point out that this site has received at least 168 comments and thank-you's.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=2885.0

Also, as bigdamhero has shown, there are people who post on this forum who have found it helpful with their deconversion.

Why do you care how we spend our time? It sounds like you think this site is the center of our lives... We've all got our own person lives away from this forum, but this forum is a way for us to discuss something that we find non-existent; the idea of god. It's the same as me sending a friend of mine a text message on my phone. We get talking about god through a medium (a phone, or in this case the internet).

but you spent the time creating a user name and posting this message.

-Odd...

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +221/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

While I once used to converse in religious arguments, I woke up and realised the stupidity of the context itself. I can only imagine a world where the time spent in religious arguments was spent doing something useful. It is perplexing to think that this is probably one of the most discussed topics in the world. Even if only one person reads this and realises their time can be put to better use, then I have achieved something. This will be my first and only post on this forum site.

I guess I would be an agnostic adragonist. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Alkan

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Mt. Lemmon, AZ. Challenging, but wondrous ride.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
I'd like to point out that this site has received at least 168 comments and thank-you's.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=2885.0

Also, as bigdamhero has shown, there are people who post on this forum who have found it helpful with their deconversion.

Why do you care how we spend our time? It sounds like you think this site is the center of our lives... We've all got our own person lives away from this forum, but this forum is a way for us to discuss something that we find non-existent; the idea of god. It's the same as me sending a friend of mine a text message on my phone. We get talking about god through a medium (a phone, or in this case the internet).

but you spent the time creating a user name and posting this message.

-Odd...

50 bucks says they'll be back.

Offline bigdamhero

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
I feel I should point out that there have been and continue to be scholarly discussions regarding the existence of dragons. Given the vast amount of historical depictions of dragons from many cultures the world over the topic deserves some degree of consideration. To make this metaphor a fit a bit better, let us assume that leaders of countries all over the world ran their countries, economically, militarily and socially , on the idea that not only did dragons exist but they are going to return and destroy the world. People the world over are killed because they oppose a cultures depiction of the dragons, and loved ones in your own country have been willing to die in order to see that the dragon's will is carried out. These situations would necessitate a place for those who realize the evidence against said dragons is faulty, not only for scholarly/personal reasons, but to better understand the reason so many atrocities are committed in the name of the dragons.

Me to my minister father, "If you want to truly understand why I'm an atheist, read the bible again"

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »
He's still watching this thread.
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Yeah, really guys!  All this stuff is just stupid.  I mean, it's not like anyone has ever done anything harmful to another person in the name of a god, right?  Religious belief is totally harmless, has no influence on politics and certainly doesn't interfere in the education of our children.

Seriously, you guys need to wake up and start shotgunning Red Bulls and blasting your pecs four times a week.  There's way more important stuff to be doing, like blasting your pecs...and shotgunning Red Bulls and, and... washing my dad's '67 Camaro on the slim chance that he'll actually let me take it out on Saturday and I can show it of to all my equally douchey friends who will instantly think I'm cool because I told them that I was a hot-shot investment banker a la Gordon Gekko (but I just know I'll make assistant manager at Applebee's any day now, Stan told me I would!) and the Camaro was actually the shittiest car I own but it was the only one I would allow them to see because they're such douchey posers and that them even laying eyes on my Bentley or Spyker would probably make those cars disintegrate just from their douchey poser stares at it and then I can tell them that the Camaro is the car that I bang all the hot chicks that I lie to about being a move producer in because my mom would fucking kill me if I ever snuck a girl into her basement, which is where I live even though I tell everyone I've got the penthouse in one of the high-rises just north of downtown because I'm such an emotionally stunted social retard that it's impossible for me to have an honest conversation with anyone about anything and I am basically Uncle Rico wishing coach had put me in during the big game.

Pussies.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
He's still watching this thread.

Whoa, ve is! :D

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
He probably just left his computer on when he left to pick up the last four hours of Angie's shift at Applebee's.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
He probably just left his computer on when he left to pick up the last four hours of Angie's shift at Applebee's.

We don't really know if ve's a male yet. Even if the person were, ve could possibly have gender dysphoria. You just never know for sure sometimes.

Ha, I like the way you think! :D

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
As I tell my 7 year old, I know everything.

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »
As I tell my 7 year old, I know everything.

:D

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »
I would probably dislike "in dragons we trust" written on our money as well as a national day of "dragon worship."
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline PeterRabbit

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Bad Bun
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »
I would probably dislike "in dragons we trust" written on our money as well as a national day of "dragon worship."

I'm with you there. :)

Offline Max Kodan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
This will be my first and only post on this forum site.

No, it won't.

Yes it will, if only because the mods have full rights to slap him with a spamming ban.
If you consider speed to be a 3D vector it doesn't really matter whether you call it momentum or speed.

Offline Tabooze

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »

Actually, there is more "evidence" for existence of dragons than there is of various gods. Dragons have been independently invented by a number of different cultures on our planet, that otherwise believe in completely different gods, so I'd say if anything supernatural is real, dragons have a damn good chance to be that one thing.

Obviously there can be only one.

But seriously, Scathen (if that's your REAL name), thanks for pointing how stupid we all are. OK. I will stop talking about it, and forget that there are at least 200,000 reasons why religion should be forgotten (these 200,000 reasons curiously approximate the number of dead people in Europe's latest religious war). Why can't we all just... eat McDonald's?

Yeah, really guys!  All this stuff is just stupid.  I mean, it's not like anyone has ever done anything harmful to another person in the name of a god, right?  Religious belief is totally harmless, has no influence on politics and certainly doesn't interfere in the education of our children.

Seriously, you guys need to wake up and start shotgunning Red Bulls and blasting your pecs four times a week.  There's way more important stuff to be doing, like blasting your pecs...and shotgunning Red Bulls and, and... washing my dad's '67 Camaro on the slim chance that he'll actually let me take it out on Saturday and I can show it of to all my equally douchey friends who will instantly think I'm cool because I told them that I was a hot-shot investment banker a la Gordon Gekko (but I just know I'll make assistant manager at Applebee's any day now, Stan told me I would!) and the Camaro was actually the shittiest car I own but it was the only one I would allow them to see because they're such douchey posers and that them even laying eyes on my Bentley or Spyker would probably make those cars disintegrate just from their douchey poser stares at it and then I can tell them that the Camaro is the car that I bang all the hot chicks that I lie to about being a move producer in because my mom would fucking kill me if I ever snuck a girl into her basement, which is where I live even though I tell everyone I've got the penthouse in one of the high-rises just north of downtown because I'm such an emotionally stunted social retard that it's impossible for me to have an honest conversation with anyone about anything and I am basically Uncle Rico wishing coach had put me in during the big game.

Pussies.

:)

The best is to stick your head in the sand. I mean, all this religious stuff happens to other people, so it is "other people's problem", and as such it's not worth discussing. If those people have problems, they do not exist (or otherwise it's their own fault), so I'll carry on wishing coach had put me in during the big game. (Nod to Red)
_______
Tabooze.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
Consider these discussions and debates as education. There are plenty of religious nuts who possess a threat to society and even civilisation, we can't ignore that and we can't ignore the parts of a religion that support or excuse the evils of religious nuts. There is a level of oppression when it comes to atheist, or at least in some places and there's a LOT of ignorance when it comes to exactly what atheists belief/disbelieve. We see many, many misconceptions made by Christians and Muslims made alike on this website. Some people find comfort in this site, particularly when it comes to their poor experiences with religion, in a way this helps. It also means we can learn more about the other-side as well as ourselves.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 03:36:33 AM »

Would you consider it ridiculous, if you were discussing whether a person should kill you or not or whether a person should have the right to subjugate you. It's discussed because religion and god can effect you life in very serious ways, and if we can halt that just by 1%, it's got to be good.  

edit:added "to" (Reason; my bad grammar)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:18:10 PM by bertatberts »
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 04:31:27 AM »
Let's invent a new ism, say "Dragonism - the belief in dragons". Now everyone pick a side. You are either a Dragonist or an Adragonist.

Scathen, I need to know which side you are on in the Dragonism stakes.  Because if you are on the same side as I am, I will welcome you like a brother.

But if you are on the opposite side, then I will need to push for laws to keep you out of certain public offices.  I will push to make sure your children are taught only MY side of the argument in school.  I will use my view of Dragonism to label you as a sick and wrong individual.

And, if push comes to shove, I will kill you and your children for the heresy you show in not believing whole-heartedly in MY form of Dragonism.

I'm waiting.  What side of the Dragonism argument are you on? 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 06:28:42 AM »

.....then Scat hen you chicken.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Arakk

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
Your spelling is rediculus, and hilarreus.

Haha, thats the only reason I clicked on this thread, I was hoping for some epic anti-grammar. Perhaps its intentional to show that in the time it took him to create an account and make that post he could have been studying 5th grade vocabulary.
To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.

?? Cardinal Bellarmine (Trial of Galileo)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
I woke up and realised the stupidity of the context itself.

If this were true then you would never have joined this website just to post this idiocy. Even if this is the only post you ever have on this website, I doubt it'll be the last comment, in such regard, that you make on other websites just like it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.