Author Topic: really? [#1558]  (Read 5829 times)

Offline DL

really? [#1558]
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »
do you enjoy TRYING to crush peoples face for no reason?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWabou7sn8[/youtube]

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: really? [#1558]
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:40 AM »

So you came here preaching???
Not the first and no doubt not the last.
I'm sorry I could only be bothered watching one minute or so of your vid.
I didn't want to crush my face on my desktop when I fell asleep while watching.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »
Face? Or faith?  I surely don't want to crush anyone's face. 
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

Some people need both crushed.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 09:55:43 AM »

No reason?  Let's consider that.  Even though religious faith is a net-negative on society -- a comment I am willing to offer details on that you can investigate and attempt to refute -- I would not care in the slightest what people believe in private if they kept it to themselves.  If, that is, there was some effort to address reality and improve society when those beliefs lead to harming other people.

What do I mean by that?  Am I just being cruel?  Absolutely not.  You asked me a question and I am addressing it -- though I admit I could be wrong.  If you can show me that I am on any level, I will not deny reality.  I will change my mind, but not because you are offended or dislike my opinion on any level.  Facts and reality.  Not opinions.  That's all I ask.

Yet, even if I were a Christian, I would be concerned with the actions of my fellow Christians.  Are you concerned?  If you are, what are you doing about those actions?  On that note, here is something I wrote earlier that applies to your question;

====================================

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

My question to you is not what you believe, but what are you doing about the acts your fellow Christians perform in the name of Christianity that spread hate, bigotry, ignorance, pain, and death?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
I've never tried to crush anyone's face, although I've certainly thought about it.

Depending on who it was, I might actually have enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:30:45 PM by JesusHChrist »
Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »

I certainly do. It what makes life worth living. ;D
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
I finally realised

face=faith

Sorry if I have been slow Dkit.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline Crocoduck

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Nothing Fails Like Prayer.
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »
dammit!

i cant believe i sat through two segments of this guy's video only to find out that he believes the bible is true because the bible says itself is true.

i had hoped for a challenge, but alas ive been letdown again.
atheism is not a religion... it is a personal relationship with reality.
V00d00Sixxx Youtube Channel

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »
I finally realised

face=faith

Maybe s/he types with a lisp.   ;)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »
I finally realised

face=faith

Maybe s/he types with a lisp.   ;)

I can hear it. ;D ;D ;D

Offline thegodiknew

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Yelling fact in a crowded fiction
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:13:01 AM »

Not at all. There are very good reasons to crush people's face/faith.
@heist. More specifically: yahwatheist
Former member of monotized religion.
I thought I knew, but I merely believed.

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
I was the original poster of this, I sent it over youtube, and yes "face" was me accidentally misspelling "faith".

No reason?  Let's consider that.  Even though religious faith is a net-negative on society -- a comment I am willing to offer details on that you can investigate and attempt to refute -- I would not care in the slightest what people believe in private if they kept it to themselves.  If, that is, there was some effort to address reality and improve society when those beliefs lead to harming other people.

What do I mean by that?  Am I just being cruel?  Absolutely not.  You asked me a question and I am addressing it -- though I admit I could be wrong.  If you can show me that I am on any level, I will not deny reality.  I will change my mind, but not because you are offended or dislike my opinion on any level.  Facts and reality.  Not opinions.  That's all I ask.

Yet, even if I were a Christian, I would be concerned with the actions of my fellow Christians.  Are you concerned?  If you are, what are you doing about those actions?  On that note, here is something I wrote earlier that applies to your question;

====================================

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

My question to you is not what you believe, but what are you doing about the acts your fellow Christians perform in the name of Christianity that spread hate, bigotry, ignorance, pain, and death?

yes people do, but in most situations they are nutcases.

my answer to your question is nothing, I tell people the truth, and to the guy who said he could only watch 1 minute, if you watch all five parts with an open mind like i watched "why won't god heal amputees" videos.  I'm sure you will see the truth, the bible IS RELIABLE.

in fact, one of the original founders of Harvard law tried to disprove the bible, but found it reliable.

I have to admit your video's almost made me go atheist, but when I listened to all of voddie's sermon, I regained my faith.  If one person on this forum changes there mind, I will be happy.  Guys god is real, the evidence is there, just listen to it.  You want me to give you the respect of watching your video's with an open mind, I give you that respect, and you completely ignore mine by watching ONE MINUTE of the video?

Please watch all five parts of the video, then respond

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
in fact, one of the original founders of Harvard law tried to disprove the bible, but found it reliable.

So... your point.

Guys god is real, the evidence is there, just listen to it

OK, I will. But I doubt there is any evidence. I am sure it's just preaching and something I haven't heard before.

I give you that respect, and you completely ignore mine by watching ONE MINUTE of the video?

This is only done because most of the time (you are probably the only exception) people who mail videos, and give us one line messages don't join the forum, so watching the videos is meaningless to us. We are more interesting in original thought. But at the same time none of us here made the videos you watched, so your own words are more important than what other youtube videos are saying.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:44:11 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »
BTW, can you please answer that bold part of Hermes post for us?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
I probably won't be able to watch all of the videos as we are getting ready to move, but I will give the first one a go.  One thing you may want to consider is many of the members here were Christians for many years.  We have people who've read the bible more than once, who've read the many translations, plus we have former pastors.  So, God belief is not a foreign concept to us. 

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not much interested in the nut jobs.  In most cases, I'm not blaming Christians or Christianity in general for the actions of those people.  It's the established groups with agendas that concern me.

my answer to your question is nothing, I tell people the truth, and to the guy who said he could only watch 1 minute, if you watch all five parts with an open mind like i watched "why won't god heal amputees" videos.  I'm sure you will see the truth, the bible IS RELIABLE.

I'll let others respond to that, though I recommend in general that you be careful when you make absolutist statements like that.  We're not uninformed, and details do matter.

I have to admit your video's almost made me go atheist, but when I listened to all of voddie's sermon, I regained my faith.  If one person on this forum changes there mind, I will be happy.  Guys god is real, the evidence is there, just listen to it.  You want me to give you the respect of watching your video's with an open mind, I give you that respect, and you completely ignore mine by watching ONE MINUTE of the video?

Did you make the 5 videos yourself?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
freaking spam.

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

I'm not much interested in the nut jobs.  In most cases, I'm not blaming Christians or Christianity in general for the actions of those people.  It's the established groups with agendas that concern me.

my answer to your question is nothing, I tell people the truth, and to the guy who said he could only watch 1 minute, if you watch all five parts with an open mind like i watched "why won't god heal amputees" videos.  I'm sure you will see the truth, the bible IS RELIABLE.

I'll let others respond to that, though I recommend in general that you be careful when you make absolutist statements like that.  We're not uninformed, and details do matter.

I have to admit your video's almost made me go atheist, but when I listened to all of voddie's sermon, I regained my faith.  If one person on this forum changes there mind, I will be happy.  Guys god is real, the evidence is there, just listen to it.  You want me to give you the respect of watching your video's with an open mind, I give you that respect, and you completely ignore mine by watching ONE MINUTE of the video?

Did you make the 5 videos yourself?

no I didn't make the videos myself, they were professionally recorded sermons of voddie baucham.

And yes I suppose it was pushy to state "it is reliable" but if you think about it, other than the fact that it is too out of the ordinary for some to believe, it has just as much credibility as any history book.

The youtube videos for WWGHA made me think god wasn't real, like deep down i was stuck as a believer, but my logical mind (I have an IQ of 126 by the way so I'm not just some random idiot coming on to spam your forums.)  told me "impossible! where is ANY proof?"
I had no clue that there were 6000 manuscripts in 3 languages that someone would have had to find steal change and put back.

and emily said

---------

So... your point.
---------

My point is that the bible is as reliable as anything else.  You believe that the pope excommunicated Henry VII in 1533 right?  I just pulled that out of my history book, are you going to say that it is ridiculous and reflect the idea that it happened?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:59:04 PM by Carocrazy132 »

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »
by the way to answer the big question.

God wont heal amputees because it wont kill them and can make them a stronger individual.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
amputation is a medical procedure, it doesn't come about through divine intervention.

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »
amputation is a medical procedure, it doesn't come about through divine intervention.

I never said that it did,  thank you for your random comment

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »
make them a stronger individual.
Those lucky amputees!

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
yeah I let that one get away.
as far as amputation goes.
it is a medical procedure so that the person can live.
maybe rarely a person can get an amputation for the heck of it but usually it is so that person can live without the afflicted part that subjects them to the alternative to living, death.
isn't what you are suggesting is that since god doesn't heal amputees it is good for amputees to exist and therefore it is better for a person to live than to die?
its hard for me to understand your ideation when it comes to your beliefs.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
no I didn't make the videos myself, they were professionally recorded sermons of voddie baucham.

I would be glad to view the videos if Voddie Baucham were available for comments.  As he(?) is not, what assurance do I have that you actually understand the material he provides and can respond for him?

Understand that we get people coming here who reference other people's work often, and it more often than not turns out that the person referencing the material doesn't know much at all about what is in it.  That leads to quite a bit of wasted time as the other person ends up re-interpreting the material in ways that don't make much sense and aren't backed by what is presented to us.

And yes I suppose it was pushy to state "it is reliable" but if you think about it, other than the fact that it is too out of the ordinary for some to believe, it has just as much credibility as any history book.

As a history book, just focusing on the NT, do you know of any contemporaneous and extra-Biblical support for the major events and people described in it?  If you consider some supported, and others not, could you provide examples of each?

As for the OT, do you consider all of the major stories in it to be roughly factual (not metaphorical), for example the great flood, garden of eden, tower of babel, ... or do you consider some stories to be illustrative but not based in historic facts?

Note that I'm not asking if you think each and every spoken word in the books are as they were said, nor that every detail is accurate, I'm just asking if the stories roughly reflect history.

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »
http://salvoblue.homestead.com/noah.html

I remember hearing on discovery channel that if they sun-baked the bricks (which the bible says they DID), the tower of babel would have been possible.

Eden is historically accepted as an area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers if I am remembering correctly.

My answer is yes, I believe they roughly follow historically accepted facts.

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »

I remember hearing on discovery channel that if they sun-baked the bricks (which the bible says they DID), the tower of babel would have been possible.

Eden is historically accepted as an area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers if I am remembering correctly.

So, you believe the world is 6,000 years old? and about 2,500 BC there was a Global Flood that destoyed everything on the Earth?
Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Carocrazy132

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:23 AM »

So, you believe the world is 6,000 years old? and about 2,500 BC there was a Global Flood that destoyed everything on the Earth?

yes, why?

http://www.missiontoamerica.org/genesis/millions-of-years.html
fossils aren't necessarily as old as suggested.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »

Sure that's what you say.  That's what they all say.
Look how well that worked for your fellow mild mannered Bruce Banner.  There he was happily inventing gamma ray bombs for the benefit of mankind, when boom.

Dkit: "I'm not crushing your face... You wouldn't like it if I were to be crushing your face"
"Graaaaaaaar!!"  [image of crushed face]

@ the OP
Seriously though , if your faith can't withstand basic low level questioning of the type shown in the videos then it isn't very strong it is?  Clearly your faith in your religion isn't enough to sustain you.  I doubt you have the will to actually stand up for what you believe in, but if you do, come to the forums, convince us.  I have to warn you though, we've seen a lot of people come in with tired arguments and copy/paste scripture from their bibles that they didn't even understand. 
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.