Author Topic: Hello again [#1621]  (Read 484 times)

Offline DL

Hello again [#1621]
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

Are you trying to make people not believe in jesuse christ?
I mean seriously, its like you are afraid that people will go to heaven and you are not
If you are making these videos against God to preach herecy to these people
then why do you care about them so much
this is a free country
if you think that you are trying to save them from stupidness the you are not so intellegent as your mom wanted you to be.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: Hello again [#1621]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
O.k. here's the deal:

You repost that email message with ALL of the spelling and grammar errors corrected (BY YOU) and I will pray for jesus to come into my heart and save me.

I don't suppose you are so selfish and arrogant that you would not do this little thing to help save a lost one such as myself. 
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
this is a free country

We're on the internet Einstein, it's not a "country".

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »

Believe what you want -- I care about actions.

I mean seriously, its like you are afraid that people will go to heaven and you are not

There is no such thing as a soul, and thus no afterlife for it to go.

Disagree?  Feel free to look at my support for that statement, and challenge any part of it;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=6546

The Christian deity God is imaginary.  The videos can't be against an imaginary entity.

this is a free country

This country?  Where are you?  The videos are for anyone, anywhere.  The target audience are college educated English speakers.

The country I'm in has a strong free speech tradition, and I embrace it for everyone -- especially people I fervently disagree with.  Let the best supported ideas win.

if you think that you are trying to save them from stupidness the you are not so intellegent as your mom wanted you to be.

Since you are into mind reading, I consider that this is also appropriate for you;

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

My question to you is not what you believe, but what are you doing about the acts your fellow Christians perform in the name of Christianity that spread hate, bigotry, ignorance, pain, and death?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »

You want to believe in "jesuse christ", be my guest. I give a shit. Just don't force it down my throat, or anyone else's.

Why would an Atheist be afraid of people going to a place they do not even believe exists?

As my grandfather would say, "Say, huh?"

this is a free country

The U.S.? Why, yes it is. It's called "Freedom of Speech", it doesn't just apply to people who are religious but to those who are not.

Read this line, and then get a dictionary, and then look up stupid, and you'll find your name.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »

this is a free country

Did you know that the idea of Jesus having actually atoned for all the sins of humanity is considered heresy by virtually all mainstream religions?  It is true.  Look up the term "Universal Reconciliation" and you'll see that the idea, while supported scripturally is heresy.

Tell you what, it's hard to have a one way conversation.  Join the forum and repost, I'll be glad to telk to you about your Jesus.  I won't even try to trick you.  I don't need to, and it is more satisfying for me to help a Christian know their own bible better.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »

My mom doesn't believe in "jesuse christ" either.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »

If you mean "jesus e. christ" then, yes.  I want them to stop believing in jesus and that he is coming back to kick ass and clean things up.  It has been 2000 years.  He's dead and not coming back.

I am not afraid of that.  I am afraid religious kooks are going to continue to do really stupid things because of their stupid beliefs.  You know, like fly airplanes into buildings.  Or worse.

So?  They don't have to watch them.  They make videos all the time.  Are you saying they get to make videos to encourage people to believe, be we cannot make them to encourage people to come to their senses?  That is unfair, don't you think?

Well, you know how moms are.  They always want their kids to be doctors or dentists.  I'm sure yours has plenty to be disappointed about too.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
O.k. here's the deal:

You repost that email message with ALL of the spelling and grammar errors corrected (BY YOU) and I will pray for jesus to come into my heart and save me.

I don't suppose you are so selfish and arrogant that you would not do this little thing to help save a lost one such as myself. 

Wow, this guy hates christ so much, and is such a coward, he won't even humble himself to correct his spelling to help bring a fellow human to christ.

Pathetic. 
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
Are you saying they get to make videos to encourage people to believe, be we cannot make them to encourage people to come to their senses?  That is unfair, don't you think?

Of course it's unfair.  They want to make it even worse, maybe like the death penalty or something for speaking out against their god.  I think that secretly a lot of Christains are envious of the level of anger and commitment that Islam seems to get out of it's adherents.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Are you saying they get to make videos to encourage people to believe, be we cannot make them to encourage people to come to their senses?  That is unfair, don't you think?

Of course it's unfair.  They want to make it even worse, maybe like the death penalty or something for speaking out against their god.  I think that secretly a lot of Christains are envious of the level of anger and commitment that Islam seems to get out of it's adherents.

Yeah, they are handcuffed by that peacenick-hippy, jesus.  If only he were more like mohammed.  That mofo knew how to throw down.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

this is a free country

What I am afraid that people who believe in such nonsense will ruin this world for me by their idiotic "my invisible friend is better than yours" religions. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/