Author Topic: Where are there errors or contradictions in the King James Bible?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Tate

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
If some of you would like to gather your "contradictions" for me, I'd like to look them over.  Thank you.  (Not fake KJBs such as those printed by Zondervan.  Harper Collins is the editor.  He also wrote the satanic bible.)
"Men do not reject the Bible because they find faults in it, but because it finds faults in them".  -Paul Hovey

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
Re: Where are there errors or contradictions in the King James Bible?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
The KJV has references to dragons, unicorns and the mythical cockatrice.

Since these creatures do not and have never been shown to exist, would you consider the mention of them in the KJV to be "errors"?
Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
Just a note:

My Zondervan KJV bible is identical to the KJB bible I have on my phone[1]. Harper Collins is a book publisher. It's not their goal to spread the gospel; they are about making money and their bibles are 'authentic' KJV as far as I know.

1. http://iphone.clearsight.org/index2.php#_Bible
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:04:58 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:34 PM »
If some of you would like to gather your "contradictions" for me, I'd like to look them over.  Thank you.  (Not fake KJBs such as those printed by Zondervan.  Harper Collins is the editor.  He also wrote the satanic bible.)

Go to google, it takes a few seconds. A list will probably be your first hit. 
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
Oh and Tate, here's a list that should keep you busy for a while....

http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/graphic1designer/errors.html

Now, about those unicorns, dragons and the cockatrice ....

There are several animals mentioned in the KJV that are mythical:

Unicorns
The "Unicorn" is mentioned nine times in the KJV (Numbers 23:22; 24:8; Deuteronomy 33:17; Job 39:9,10; Psalm 22:21; 29:6; 92:10; Isaiah 34:7). In Deuteronomy 33:17 it says the unicorn has "horns" plural, so the KJV solved this problem by translating "unicorn" as plural "unicorns." It is an unfortunate translation of the Hebrew "reem" which means "wild ox" (BDB, 910b). It seems that the LXX translation made the error which was carried over into the Latin unicornis. The idea of a unicorn probably came from seeing a rhinoceros. In the Middle Ages when fossil tusks or horns were found, they were said to come from unicorns (Gayrard-Valy, 22). At the last ICC there were rumors of unicorns in California.

Dragons
In the Old Testament the KJV uses the term "dragon" for the Hebrew words tannim meaning "jackals" and tannin meaning "serpent, or sea monster" (BDB, 1072; Gesenius, 868-9). It seems the KJV mistranslated these two separate words. Tannim is from the root tan meaning "to howl" and tannin is from the root tanan "to smoke" (Ibid.). Jackals are known for their howling, and are associated with desolate areas. Tannin or "smokers" probably came from seeing the spouts of whales or the snorting of animals which looked like smoke coming from a fire inside. Our warm breathe in winter looks like smoke. This is probably how the idea of fire-breathing dragons started. The Hebrew is not referring to any dinosaurs.

The KJV uses the term "dragon" which comes from the Greek word drakon which means "serpent." It refers to a monster with a scaly snake like body. The Greek New Testament uses drakon 12 times only in the book of Revelation which the KJV translates as "dragon" (Rev. 12-13, 16:13, 20:2). The dragon in Revelation has seven heads similar to the leviathan in Ugaritic and Psalm 74:14 (Gibson, 50, 68; Walace, 290). Satan is called a "dragon" in Revelation 20:2.

Satyr
The Satyr is a mythical creature that was half-man and half-goat. Isaiah 13:21 and 34:14 mentions this creature in the KJV. In the Hebrew there are two more occurrences in Leviticus 17:7 and 2 Chronicles 11:15 also possibly 2 Kings 23:8. "Scholars suggest that this nom. depicts some type of demon that exhibited the likeness of a goat and was closely associated with idolatry and the high places" (New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis Vol.3, 1260).

There is also the mention of the cockatrice (Isaiah 11:8, 14:29, 59:5; Jeremiah 8:17) and the arrowsnake (Genesis 49:11, margin).

http://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/kjv.htm

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »
It is possible the Satyr was used as a story to deter young people from having sex with goats and sheep and it got all turned around over time.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Job 30:29 I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.

The KVJ? Come on man....yikes.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-31
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
It is possible the Satyr was used as a story to deter young people from having sex with goats and sheep and it got all turned around over time.

Ahh, the trials and tribulations of growing up as a bronze-age goatherd.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline Tate

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »
Thank you Emily for the links.  I'm checking out the second link.  Your Zondervan KJV is different than that of the Cambridge text.  I don't believe any one can correct the KJV with Greek.  The Greek that we have access to is corrupted, even James Strongs concordances.  The KJB uses the Antiochian manuscripts unlike the new age bible versions which came from Alexander Egypt.  The Masoretic text is the correct text for the OT.  The Textus Receptus is for the New TEST.  Your exactly right about H. Collins. 
"Men do not reject the Bible because they find faults in it, but because it finds faults in them".  -Paul Hovey

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »
Several contradictions involve whether people written about in the Bible saw God.

God was seen:

Genesis 17:1

1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Genesis 18:1

1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day

Exodus 24:9-11

9 Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:

10 And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

11 And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

Exodus 33:11

11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

God was not seen:

Exodus 33:20

20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

John 1:18

18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 5:37

37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

John 6:46

46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:24:05 PM »
My above post was just something I whipped up by a Google search and my memory.  If you want a more complete list of contradictions then I suggest looking here too:

http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm

and here:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »
Hi Tate,

Can you please provide a link for the online version of the edition of KJV that you feel to be the correct one?

Thanks.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »

Most members here, simply use www.BibleGateway.com
Is this sufficient for your needs? 
It is a Christian site, and simply lists the bible in a simple and searchable format, including various translations.  Notably; the King James Version.

But to start the ball rolling here: Did God create man in Genesis1, or Genesis2? 
Did he create man and woman at the same time, or Man, then woman from his rib?

Which came first, the animals, or Man?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
Biblegateway lists over 20 Bibles in English alone. They have other languages, as well. KJV is the widely used one anywhere -- but there, and most notably, recently, in the U.S. I'd think the NIV is the most used these days.

-Nam

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
Tate, I haven't been able to find an online version of the bible that you think is right.

Will you do me a favor? Take 4 or 5 or even more passages from the KJV at biblegateway.com, quote them here and do the same for the bible that you use and consider the correct version.

All the contradictions that you find on the internet, and what we tell you here will probably use biblegateway and honestly when and if you tell us that the contradictions we tell you are not contradictions are all we have no way of seeing for ourselves. So if there is an online version, please provide a link. I've tried to find a bible that I think you are talking about but searches came up empty.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »

Can you provide a reasonable expectation of what you would accept as a 'contradiction'?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
sounds like Tate is looking for oh..http://www.greatsite.com/ancient-rare-bibles-books/platinum.html

scroll to about 3/4 down.  Only thousands of dollars seperate you from the "RealTrueOnlyForSureHonestChristiantm" bible. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
The word of God be an expensive thing to own.  An $85000 Bible or something worthwhile such as a house, car, or college?

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
All those bibles.  One would think that the word of God would be so powerful, potent and obvious that it would be impossible to change.

Well, Tate, the burden is on you at this point.
We, on the forums use the same version most of the western world uses, which is the King James Version shown on the www.biblegateway.com site.  If you have another one, that is accessible to the readers here go ahead and present it.

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
Goddamnit! Where did he go?

I really did want to hear about those unicorns, dragons and the cockatrice and how their mention in the KJV represent any form of reality on this planet.

Disappointed!

Offline Seank

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Typos are intentional, honest.
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
Numbers 14:18
"The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation."

Great mercy, yet he punishes the unborn for things their father did?

"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam"
Popeye (the sailor man)

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 02:49:08 PM »
Goddamnit! Where did he go?

I really did want to hear about those unicorns, dragons and the cockatrice and how their mention in the KJV represent any form of reality on this planet.

Disappointed!

Crap.  I was hoping that he wasn't just another fundy drive-by.  At 73 posts he appeared to have staying power...
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Count Iblis

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »

And don't forget about the talking snake, talking ass, and giants.

Edit: Or the cud chewing hares and 4 legged flying beasts.
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
Yes, the always fun chase for the "real" bible.  Either that or the magic decoder ring that goes with it.  I asked a friend about the child eating bears, and they said that I misunderstood, that the children were actually teenage thugs, or something.  WTF are we supposed to do when trying to break down biblical texts if we are not privy to the "special" interpretations?

Religion, we can't live with it, we can't live without it - pass the beer nuts.

Offline parkpatrol

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
Tate, if you were presented with hundreds of contradictions in the Bible would you face up to it being a man-made book? Or would you perform all kinds of mental gymnastics and pretend there are no contradictions in the Bible? Google "contradictions in the Bible" and you will see links to many sites that should help with your enquiry.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »
parkpatrol,

This topic is 3 years old. If you wish to start a new topic on the subject, you should do that. And, not necromance really old topics. A few months is one thing, 3 years is another.

-Nam

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Ok, apparently u are a christian. Let me tell u something. Don't play this game with them cause they will win. Modern versions of the bible are all corrupted. Not even one, even one such as the KJV escapes it. The only real document that has not yet been polluted throughout history, is the hebrew version of the Torah which has been handed over since the time of Moshe. That document, & only that document is impervious to error.

I'm telling u, don't play that little game with them skeptics... they will find contradictions & some of them u won't be able to answer, thus making christians look like fools(once again). Just sayin'...  :P

Peace out.
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
Not hard to do...the fool part.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!