Author Topic: A Response to the Youtube Video  (Read 2005 times)

Toastus

A Response to the Youtube Video
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »
1.) Why won’t God heal amputees?
Some things happen because of the fallen world we live in, and some things happen for the glory of God. Each person that has an amputation has a choice of attitude: whether we’re going to be bitter or an overcomer. Sometimes God really does have a reason to allow you to need an amputation, and to not heal it. It can change your life for the better so that God can use you. Not only to reach other bitter amputees, but so you can minister to the world. Just look at Joni Eareckson Tada. She’s not an amputee, but she’s paralyzed, which is the same principle that this question addresses.

2.) Why are there so many starving people in our world?

Because they need to pack up their crap and move to where there is food. They live in the desert! You can’t grow food in the desert. Move to the plains, plant a garden, be fat and happy! Not to mention the fact that we live in a fallen world, which is a result of our sin.

3.) Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
God made the Jewish race from Abraham. He made the Jewish race to be an example for later eras of what a holy people should be. To do this, he had to purge out of the nation all of their sin. A holy people can’t have sin in them; they have to be free from it.

Furthermore, these people are not innocent by any means. Homosexuality is blatantly described as detestable sin to God in many places throughout the Bible. Therefore, they are sinners and are not innocent.

Even further, the author of the video says that these are trivial matters. To God, they are not trivial by any means. He considers sin to be sin. The concept of the level of “badness” of a sin (as in murder versus lying) is human. God is concerned about the nature of sin in man, which means that man has the tendency to sin instead of the tendency to do good. These “trivial matters” are a result of that nature. The nature of sin had to be purged from Israel.

4.) Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
This is taken from an evolutionist’s point of view which assumes that the statements of evolution are scientific fact and are undeniable. The evolutionist will go further to say that anything that opposes this “scientific truth” is ridiculous and only further shows the Creationist’s stupidity. They are ignoring the fact that there are literally thousands of highly-degreed Christian scientists and researchers (and non-Christian researchers) from prestigious universities such as Cambridge and Stanford, who analyze the same data as evolutionists and come to different conclusions. For instance, the possibility of a rather short functional protein forming through random chance, conservatively, would be about one chance in a hundred thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion, or ten with 125 zeros following it. Not to mention the other countless functions, such as DNA, that would have to form for a cell to exist. And still not to even mention the act of all those parts coming together to form a cell in the first place. While evolutionists see this data and wink at it and say that it’s a moot point because, obviously, it happened, creationists use the good sense that God gave them and the logical thinking they learned in college and realize that it’s an impossibility. Evolutionists are asking us to believe in miracles waaaaaay bigger than healing an amputee. This is just one example out of many, many.

So, we as Christians have to not deal with this question, but to deal with the root of it: what a person’s presuppositions are. If you start out with the mindset that evolution is actually true then the answers you will arrive at for the question will be shaped by your belief in evolution. Your conclusion will be filtered through your presuppositions. If you presuppose that God does not exist, you won’t accept any evidence that points to a contrary conclusion (see above).

5.) Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
God never condoned slavery in the Bible, but he realized that slavery was, and is, a part of human existence. As a matter of fact, God is against slavery because the Bible tells us that “It was for freedom that Christ set us free.” Only, this was talking about the slavery that affects all human beings, the bondage of sin and death (which isn’t just fancy talk, it is actually slavery).

6.) Why do bad things happen to good people?
God causes it to rain on the good and the bad, and he causes the sun to shine on the wicked and the righteous. We are all part of the human existence in a fallen world. See Question 2.

7.) Why didn’t any of Jesus’s miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?

This is a stupid question. Anybody that has actually read the Bible, instead of condemning it from a point of ignorance, would know the answer to this. Given the miracles that Jesus did, there isn’t really any way that any of the miracles he did (such as turning water into wine) could have left behind any evidence, except through historical documentation (of which we have many examples). It has been pointed out, however, given the preponderance of evidence that we have, a court case could easily be won concerning the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, of his divinity, his death, and his resurrection.

8.) How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
We don’t need Jesus to appear to us. The method that he has set up for saving lost people, which involves the Holy Spirit, who is here on Earth now revealing Jesus to us, is just as effective as if Jesus himself were to appear to you face to face, because it involves the communication of spirit to spirit (the Holy Spirit to your spirit). Besides, the Bible has told us plainly that the heavens must receive him until the restoration of all things. That means that Jesus is staying in heaven until the end of the world.

Following worldly logic, I could still argue that God is the supreme god of the universe. We arrogantly demand a sign, while ignoring the sign that God has already given us. The Holy Spirit whispers to us the mystery of Jesus. He is god; he doesn’t have to obey a human. If we don’t like his plan, he doesn’t force us to follow it.

9.) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
Can you say symbolism? He doesn’t literally mean for you to eat his body and drink his blood. He means for you to partake in his death, in which his body was broken and his blood was spilled, by believing it, which saves you.

10.) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?

This is the only valid question. It reveals the fact that, even though Christians are saved, we still need a savior. We’re all human. This isn’t an excuse, however. We should be dealing with a different level of sin, such as pride, instead of having to wrestle with the fundamentals, such as divorce and abortion.

Furthermore, the author of this video mentions quite often that when you think about each of these questions you have to rationalize it by making up some very strange excuse or explanation. Then he says that you have to put it out of your mind because it’s uncomfortable to think about, because considering it further would undermine your faith. This is not the way Christians should think. If they are confronted with questions such as these, they should do research until they find the correct answer. Not one that just makes sense, but one that is absolutely correct. Usually, the Holy Spirit helps with this a little, considering that’s one of the reasons he’s here with us.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: A Response to the Youtube Video
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:56:29 AM »
jesus mows my lawn, he is an overcomer.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:11 AM »
Because they need to pack up their crap and move to where there is food. They live in the desert! You can’t grow food in the desert. Move to the plains, plant a garden, be fat and happy! Not to mention the fact that we live in a fallen world, which is a result of our sin.

(OK, I always jump to question two because it's the most meaningful to me)

Yeah, the desert huh.

You are so full of shit, you know that. We are talking about 3rd world countries. How the hell can they move out of their country when they barely have the energy to move at all. You are so cold hearted dude.

OK, try telling a 5 yr old child to pick up his crap and move.

Wait, tell this child,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:00:46 AM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »
jesus came over the river.

Toastus

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:15:06 AM »

(OK, I always jump to question two because it's the most meaningful to me)

Yeah, the desert huh.

You are so full of s**t, you know that. We are talking about 3rd world countries. How the hell can they move out of their country when they barely have the energy to move at all. You are so cold hearted dude.

OK, try telling a 5 yr old child to pick up his crap and move.

Wait, tell this child,

So you chose to only address this point but completely ignore the others? Ok.

The actual answer to this question is a combination of reasons. One being that the world we live in is a fallen world, and the effects of that fallen state affect everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike.

Second, there is plenty of food available if you know where to look for it. There are people who not only survive, but thrive in the Sahara desert. That's what survival skills are about.

Third, if you come to God he will provide for you. When my dad was out of a job and we ran out of food, we prayed hard. The next day, my aunt brought over everything in her refrigerator. She was getting a new refrigerator put in her house, but she couldn't keep the food, so she brought it to us. The same thing happens out in the wild.

Granted, however, he doesn't always answer prayers. Some of those starving children could be Christians.

However, my point about them leaving still stands. They have the ability to walk. Even if they don't, someone who does can carry them. They wouldn't have to go far to find easier food. There are plains all around Africa, after all. They can migrate to another area with their whole family.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:18:51 AM »
if I give up will god help me?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
So you chose to only address this point but completely ignore the others? Ok.

Yeah, as I said, I always jump to question two. Sorry, I should have said that your reply infuriated me so much that I didn't read the rest.

OK. If we live in a fallen world, why do you and I prosper, compared to those in Sudan?
Answer that question. Why aren't I starving, even though I make it very well known that I don't believe in God, and I've gone so far as to get the logo under my name tattooed on my back (minus the text). I'd think god should hate my guts.

Also, here, read about photographer Kevin Carter and his Pulitzer prize winning photograph of a child in Sudan;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:24:29 AM by Emily »

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Crocoduck

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Nothing Fails Like Prayer.
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
we know bad things happen... that isnt the question- if he heals cancer, blindness, leprosy, brings people back from the dead.... why doesnt he heal an amputee that will be medically verified?

Not to mention the fact that we live in a fallen world, which is a result of our sin.
not mine, what exactly did i do?

explain dashing babies heads on rocks and cutting pregnant women open. genocide is sickening and there is no way 100% of any people are wicked enough to deserve what you god ordered the israelites to do.

i take a neutral standpoint and do not put any faith into any theory, yet all of the evidence points away from a creator god.

God never condoned slavery in the Bible, but he realized that slavery was, and is, a part of human existence.
please point out where god says for slave owners to release their slaves and not beat them anymore.

God causes it to rain on the good and the bad, and he causes the sun to shine on the wicked and the righteous.
actually rain is caused by precipitation. the weather isnt a mystery at all.

a court case could easily be won concerning the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, of his divinity, his death, and his resurrection.
by all means enter the ongoing debate of this in the "Did a man named Jesus rise from the dead" thread because none of the theists before you have produced any sort of evidence that would hold up in court..

Following worldly logic, I could still argue that God is the supreme god of the universe. We arrogantly demand a sign, while ignoring the sign that God has already given us. The Holy Spirit whispers to us the mystery of Jesus. He is god; he doesn’t have to obey a human. If we don’t like his plan, he doesn’t force us to follow it.

if god wanted to reveal himself to me or anyone he knows exactly what it would take to convince that person, if he refuses to do so apparently he isnt interested. this isnt a matter of rebellious disbelief, it is a matter of simply not being convinced.

this was for the catholics

We should be dealing with a different level of sin, such as pride, instead of having to wrestle with the fundamentals, such as divorce and abortion.
this is a good question actually since atheists are supposed to be so immoral compared to jesusists, and one we can track via statistics that show that the moral high ground cannot be claimed by those with "god fearing morality." 

atheism is not a religion... it is a personal relationship with reality.
V00d00Sixxx Youtube Channel

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:28:24 AM »
So Toastus --

Do you believe God has miraculously cured people of blindness, cancer, lameness and so on?
Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »
Didn't I just read a similar thing posted by a theist recently? Canny how they seem almost identical.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Toastus

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »
Actually, I think this website is better: http://brainisignorant.blogspot.com/

So, thank you for your time. :D

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »
stick around Toastus, you might toast us.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:43:22 AM »

Ahh, so you're going to a blogging site for your info? Any yahoo can come up with a blog. But is that blog right?...?

Can you please give some kind of answer to my question. (hint, hint it's bolded)

Or JesusH's post,

And reply to Crocoduck

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:47:08 AM by Emily »

Offline Crocoduck

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Nothing Fails Like Prayer.
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44:56 AM »

well since that guy was challenged to come here and face us in nov 2008 and still hasnt made a dent, i wouldnt say its "better".
atheism is not a religion... it is a personal relationship with reality.
V00d00Sixxx Youtube Channel

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »
And Nam...

I wasn't asking a question. I was making a statement.

-Nam

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
OH I know. I just got carried away...

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +30/-11
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 01:46:31 AM »
i always get ignored.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:52:36 AM by none »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
i always get ignored.

Well, you have to come to expect that with a name like "none". :P

-Nam

Offline Vire

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:37 AM »
Some things happen because of the fallen world we live in, and some things happen for the glory of God. Each person that has an amputation has a choice of attitude: whether we’re going to be bitter or an overcomer. Sometimes God really does have a reason to allow you to need an amputation, and to not heal it. It can change your life for the better so that God can use you. Not only to reach other bitter amputees, but so you can minister to the world. Just look at Joni Eareckson Tada. She’s not an amputee, but she’s paralyzed, which is the same principle that this question addresses.
Oh right, Amputees aren't healed because having no limbs is actually a blessing. Lucky them!
Quote from: Toastus
Oh right... poor people only live in deserts. Totally. 
God made the Jewish race from Abraham. He made the Jewish race to be an example for later eras of what a holy people should be. To do this, he had to purge out of the nation all of their sin. A holy people can’t have sin in them; they have to be free from it.
Funny, I seem to see christians spouting off about how it's impossible to be without Sin, all the time. I guess that makes no-one holy! Too bad.
Even further, the author of the video says that these are trivial matters. To God, they are not trivial by any means. He considers sin to be sin. The concept of the level of “badness” of a sin (as in murder versus lying) is human. God is concerned about the nature of sin in man, which means that man has the tendency to sin instead of the tendency to do good. These “trivial matters” are a result of that nature. The nature of sin had to be purged from Israel.
It's funny how god never seems keen on fixing humans himself. It seems reminiscent of scientists creating some sort of bacteria and then sending a little micro-postcard to the bacteria demanding for it to evolve into a form without the flaws that the scientists created within it on purpose to begin with. Perfect sense aye?
This is taken from an evolutionist’s point of view which assumes that the statements of evolution are scientific fact and are undeniable. The evolutionist will go further to say that anything that opposes this “scientific truth” is ridiculous and only further shows the Creationist’s stupidity. They are ignoring the fact that there are literally thousands of highly-degreed Christian scientists and researchers (and non-Christian researchers) from prestigious universities such as Cambridge and Stanford, who analyze the same data as evolutionists and come to different conclusions. For instance, the possibility of a rather short functional protein forming through random chance, conservatively, would be about one chance in a hundred thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion, or ten with 125 zeros following it. Not to mention the other countless functions, such as DNA, that would have to form for a cell to exist. And still not to even mention the act of all those parts coming together to form a cell in the first place. While evolutionists see this data and wink at it and say that it’s a moot point because, obviously, it happened, creationists use the good sense that God gave them and the logical thinking they learned in college and realize that it’s an impossibility. Evolutionists are asking us to believe in miracles waaaaaay bigger than healing an amputee. This is just one example out of many, many.

So, we as Christians have to not deal with this question, but to deal with the root of it: what a person’s presuppositions are. If you start out with the mindset that evolution is actually true then the answers you will arrive at for the question will be shaped by your belief in evolution. Your conclusion will be filtered through your presuppositions. If you presuppose that God does not exist, you won’t accept any evidence that points to a contrary conclusion (see above).
Incidentally that works in the opposite way too. Christians come to different conclusions based on their bias. An atheist doesn't really have a bias (or at least not a bias because of atheism) since it's only a lack of something (belief). Christians have a whole set of rules and preconceptions they want/believe to be true which inevitably distorts whatever conclusions they come to. In other words :
"If you presuppose that God does exist, you won’t accept any evidence that points to a contrary conclusion (see above).
:P
God never condoned slavery in the Bible, but he realized that slavery was, and is, a part of human existence. As a matter of fact, God is against slavery because the Bible tells us that “It was for freedom that Christ set us free.” Only, this was talking about the slavery that affects all human beings, the bondage of sin and death (which isn’t just fancy talk, it is actually slavery).
Christ only set people free from an imaginary concept to begin with, so it's not exactly a fantastic achievement. For instance, I'll emulate him. EVERYONE has FUKZAGLE disease. I now sacrifice my life to cure FUKZAGLE disease in everyone for all time.

but...you still need to worship me, or you will get FUKZAGLE disease again... it's also impossible to be without FUKZAGLE disease, but I've cured you of it. Ah... circular reasoning.
God causes it to rain on the good and the bad, and he causes the sun to shine on the wicked and the righteous. We are all part of the human existence in a fallen world. See Question 2.
Straw man.
7.) Why didn’t any of Jesus’s miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?[/b]
This is a stupid question. Anybody that has actually read the Bible, instead of condemning it from a point of ignorance, would know the answer to this. Given the miracles that Jesus did, there isn’t really any way that any of the miracles he did (such as turning water into wine) could have left behind any evidence, except through historical documentation (of which we have many examples). It has been pointed out, however, given the preponderance of evidence that we have, a court case could easily be won concerning the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, of his divinity, his death, and his resurrection.
You're plain wrong here. A court case could perhaps be won concerning the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, but proving anything beyond that would almost certainly fail.

We don’t need Jesus to appear to us. The method that he has set up for saving lost people, which involves the Holy Spirit, who is here on Earth now revealing Jesus to us, is just as effective as if Jesus himself were to appear to you face to face, because it involves the communication of spirit to spirit (the Holy Spirit to your spirit). Besides, the Bible has told us plainly that the heavens must receive him until the restoration of all things. That means that Jesus is staying in heaven until the end of the world.
Actually I think just the existence of this website, not to mention atheism in general, annihilates that response. If it's so sufficient why do these things exist? Clearly not all of us are convinced. I think I speak for quite a few atheists in saying that if Jesus were to come to us face to face and display clear miracles it would be a lotmore convincing than millenia old documents with very dubious history.
If you're working in a petrol station and someone walks in with a shotgun, points it at your face and demands money or they'll kill you, will you give them the money? I think you probably will. Is that forced? Maybe not but threatened? Definitely.
Can you say symbolism? He doesn’t literally mean for you to eat his body and drink his blood. He means for you to partake in his death, in which his body was broken and his blood was spilled, by believing it, which saves you.
How does this save anyone? Is there some sort of process involved?
This is the only valid question. It reveals the fact that, even though Christians are saved, we still need a savior. We’re all human. This isn’t an excuse, however. We should be dealing with a different level of sin, such as pride, instead of having to wrestle with the fundamentals, such as divorce and abortion.
I hope you realize how contradictory it is to claim you are saved but you still need a savior. You theists really are suckers for redemption aren't you?

Furthermore, the author of this video mentions quite often that when you think about each of these questions you have to rationalize it by making up some very strange excuse or explanation. Then he says that you have to put it out of your mind because it’s uncomfortable to think about, because considering it further would undermine your faith. This is not the way Christians should think. If they are confronted with questions such as these, they should do research until they find the correct answer. Not one that just makes sense, but one that is absolutely correct. Usually, the Holy Spirit helps with this a little, considering that’s one of the reasons he’s here with us.
Rationalizing it with strange fallacious excuses is exactly what you've done. You only supported his final statement by posting this video-response.
For long you live and high you fly; And smiles you give and tears you'll cry; And all you touch and all you see; Is all your life will ever be. ~P.F

Offline Count Iblis

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 09:47:05 AM »

Did God's plan work?
Furthermore, these people are not innocent by any means. Homosexuality is blatantly described as detestable sin to God in many places throughout the Bible. Therefore, they are sinners and are not innocent.

The Bible also says that eating shellfish is an abomination. How comes Christians have no problem with eating shellfish?
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

"Sometimes" God doesn't want to heal an amputee?  With your knowledge and faith, the correct word is "Always".

That is so stupid.

Why did God have to purge it, exactly?  He knew man was wicked before these laws were handed down.  Remember the flood?  Why didn't he send Christ 3000 years earlier?

How's about some reference to the non-Christian scientific journals that document these claims?

What?  Did you really think that through?

See facepalm above.

Seriously, that does make sense, but I think the argument is, "Why don't Christians get a break?"

Can you please provide a reference to these "many examples"...and please do not just quote different Biblical translations.  I'd also be interested in some of your 'evidence'.

But he punishes if we don't follow?  Does that really make sense to you?  That's like me telling my son, "You don't have to follow my rules, but if you don't, I'll punch you in the face..."  That's not free will, that's discipline.  We train dogs that way.

I'll hand you this one because it's obviously just asked because the author is a prick.

Didn't you just say that there are no levels of sin?  I can't remember................*cough*cough*

So, when are you going to think about these things until you find the "absolutely correct" answer?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, as I am a believer in God the trinity, but you're shooting blanks here.  You believe only what you've been taught.  You haven't thought about any of this on your own.
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »

2.) Why are there so many starving people in our world?[/b]

Yes, they should all move to the most prosperous nation on earth: the USA! Come on Obama, get those borders open, drop those visa requirements and get the ships moving - everyone can be fat and happy in the good ol' US of A.

PS You tend to get glib responses to fatuous replies to the questions. If you want to be taken seriously come up with a serious answer, your reply fails to do that on many levels. Just to educate yourself and illustrate why your answer fails, try looking up the recent history of Zimbabwe for example.

PPS There's no forum rule that specifies members have to respond to every point or not at all.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline MrFriday

• 100% Superstition Free
  • Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
    • To Question God
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 06:15:04 AM »
I've responded to my quota of nitwits this week. I'm sorry but you missed out.
"Faith is believing in something you know isn't true" - Mark Twain

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »
...They are ignoring the fact that there are literally thousands of highly-degreed Christian scientists and researchers (and non-Christian researchers) from prestigious universities such as Cambridge and Stanford, who analyze the same data as evolutionists and come to different conclusions.

There are some very smart people who believe really ridiculous things.

I want all those people with all that brain power working on the world's problems, instead of studying the minutiae of ancient, mythological books.  No amount of study and analysis of mythology will make it become real. 

Hell, we have a Christian on another thread trying to justify the Jonah story based on the size of a whale shark, and it's diet! 

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1136/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
So, when are you going to think about these things until you find the "absolutely correct" answer?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, as I am a believer in God the trinity, but you're shooting blanks here.  You believe only what you've been taught.  You haven't thought about any of this on your own.

+1
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +288/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »

Exactly Inveni0.  This is the problem with the vast majority of religious people.  They don't think for themselves.  They let others tell them what to think.  Even though I think God the trinity is a complete load of crap, let me just say this regarding your post.... Amen brother, Amen.

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »

"With the bolter, cleanse the unclean,
We will cleanse!
With the flamer, purify the unholy.
We will purify!
With the chainsword, purge the corrupt.
We will purge!
With the missile, kill the impure.
We will kill!" -Anon. (3rd Edition Space Marine Codex)

"While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace. While obscene heretics' hearts still beat, there can be no respite. While faithless traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness." Legiones Astartes Silver Skull's Catechism of Hate, Verse I of XXV (4th Edition Space Marine Codex)

So, we as Christians have to not deal with this question, but to deal with the root of it: what a person’s presuppositions are. If you start out with the mindset that evolution is actually true then the answers you will arrive at for the question will be shaped by your belief in evolution. Your conclusion will be filtered through your presuppositions. If you presuppose that God does not exist, you won’t accept any evidence that points to a contrary conclusion (see above)

A small mind is easily filled with faith.
Blessed is a closed mind filled with faith.
Faith is purest when it is unquestioning.
Blind faith is a just cause.
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1136/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »

"With the bolter, cleanse the unclean,
We will cleanse!
With the flamer, purify the unholy.
We will purify!
With the chainsword, purge the corrupt.
We will purge!
With the missile, kill the impure.
We will kill!" -Anon. (3rd Edition Space Marine Codex)

"While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace. While obscene heretics' hearts still beat, there can be no respite. While faithless traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness." Legiones Astartes Silver Skull's Catechism of Hate, Verse I of XXV (4th Edition Space Marine Codex)

<snip>

A small mind is easily filled with faith.
Blessed is a closed mind filled with faith.
Faith is purest when it is unquestioning.
Blind faith is a just cause.

good point, nerd.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.