Author Topic: thanks [#1505]  (Read 481 times)

Offline DL

thanks [#1505]
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »

Morning.

Your video snuck up on me. I actually thought it was going to be a rationalization, excusing God from all of these hard questions.

Instead, you put the burden of proof on God, which is very, very refreshing.

Thanks for making the argument. I'm doing much the same on my end at www.thethinkingatheist.com.

Sometimes I have to wonder, though. Most of the believers in my circle don't care that the math doesn't add up. They simply want to believe...

[name]

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: thanks [#1505]
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
It's a blanket. Keeps them warm when they feel cold. But after awhile, the cold does get in.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »
Sometimes I have to wonder, though. Most of the believers in my circle don't care that the math doesn't add up. They simply want to believe...

Agreed.  I'd have no problem if they believed in private and did not act negatively -- just as I have no concerns about people who talk about alien abductions and visitations.  

While the more aggressive either group becomes, the sensible thing to do is to take them less seriously.  Mockery and unrestrained laughter is appropriate at some point.  Yet, that doesn't happen.  The more dire and strident religious leaders and followers get, the more they are deferred to.  The more they are taken seriously.  This makes no sense.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 04:28:58 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Seank

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Typos are intentional, honest.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
While the more aggressive either group becomes, the sensible thing to do is to take them less seriously.  Mockery and unrestrained laughter is appropriate at some point.  Yet, that doesn't happen.  The more dire and strident religious leaders and followers get, the more they are deferred to.  The more they are taken seriously.  This makes no sense.

I'll admit it's difficult to avoid laughing when adults come to my door and start asking me about Jesus. I prefer discussing that stuff on forums, since it's a bit easier to distance oneself from situation. In real-life they just seem like kids trying to sell Super Santa.
"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam"
Popeye (the sailor man)

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Thanks for making the argument. I'm doing much the same on my end at www.thethinkingatheist.com.

I visited your site, and I have a question.  Under the "What We Believe" tab:

Did you use models, or are they really some of the real "thinking atheists?"

Because, they are hot!

Odin, Lonely King of the Gods