Author Topic: About Your Videos [#1503]  (Read 352 times)

Offline DL

About Your Videos [#1503]
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »

Hi GIIVideo,

I have watched a few of your videos about your beliefs of how God is fake. I personally do not believe that God exists. However, I would like you to hear my view on this topic.

First of all, Bibles are man-made. Here is where my question comes in: how do we know what the Bible says is true? Assuming that God is real, He could not speak to us dirrectly, therefore speaking to the "chosen ones" such as Moses, so he could pass on to us. Now when this was passed on from generation to generation, things are added, and things are taken out. However, what God has said is the truth, right? So what I am saying is that what is in the Bible might not be accurate, but that is not a proof that God is evil.

Another thing is that how do we trust science? How do we trust our senses? How do you know that what science has found is real. What is the truth, and what is the Truth (as I like to say it)? Decades ago we believed that the world was flat, and at that time, it was the truth. But now, we know that the world is round, because we saw it. From up in space. But back then they felt it. The ground is flat so how can the world be round? So what is the real Truth? Will we ever know the real Truth? Now if this question could not be answered, why don't we just believe that God knows the Truth, and that he is watching over us? Does this not give us comfort, so we would not be forever seeking the Truth?

Again, I am not Christian, therefore I did not read the entire Bible and know everything about the religion. Please excuse me if my letter has offensed you in anyway, I did not mean it.

Thank you for your time, and hopefully we could talk more on this topic.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: About Your Videos [#1503]
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »
Dude, how can we trust our lives! We should just get rid of that, too!!!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
Another thing is that how do we trust science? How do we trust our senses? How do you know that what science has found is real. What is the truth, and what is the Truth (as I like to say it)? Decades ago we believed that the world was flat, and at that time, it was the truth. But now, we know that the world is round, because we saw it. From up in space. But back then they felt it. The ground is flat so how can the world be round? So what is the real Truth? Will we ever know the real Truth? Now if this question could not be answered, why don't we just believe that God knows the Truth, and that he is watching over us? Does this not give us comfort, so we would not be forever seeking the Truth?

Science is always learning. Right now we have the most sound theories about existence because numerous tests have been done regarding the issue. A theory is just something where facts keep getting added. The reason they thought the earth was flat is because, as you said, they couldn't travel to space. But now we can, and so we know it's not. Science is not like any other discipline in school. All the answers are not in place yet, but so far we have to trust the answers that we have because thousands of bright minds have tested what it's the textbooks, and for the most part, agree that's how it happened. While it's the big bang theory we do know the universe is ~14.7 billion years old thanks to the measuring of background radiation, as well as Hubble taking pictures of universes that date back that far. The bottom line is that not all the answers for science are in place, but that doesn't mean the answers we have now are wrong.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
Assuming that God is real, He could not speak to us dirrectly,
Why?  You are assuming a god, presumably powerful enough to create, yet you limit his power of communication.

therefore speaking to the "chosen ones" such as Moses, so he could pass on to us. Now when this was passed on from generation to generation, things are added, and things are taken out. However, what God has said is the truth, right? So what I am saying is that what is in the Bible might not be accurate, but that is not a proof that God is evil.
Okay, but since the bible is the only reference we have for said God AND you've limited his communication power, I say go with what we have.

I think this is called solipsism.  God watching over me wouldn't give me comfort, it would make me paranoid that I would step out of line, for however brief a moment, and ensure my path to eternal damnation. 

Please excuse me if my letter has offensed you in anyway, I did not mean it.

None taken.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Seank

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Typos are intentional, honest.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »
We didn't have to go in to space in order to determine the shape of the world. I believe the ancient greeks were aware that the world wasn't flat, if only due to the curvature that's easily observed when looking over the horizon.

The most important principle of science is falsifiability. It's why a theory cannot exist unless it makes claims or predictions that can be falsified. Because of this, empirical knowledge is subject to change over time. However, this doesn't mean that all scientific knowledge is temporary in nature. There are some things that we can be pretty sure about, assuming the laws that govern our universe aren't radically altered. Even if we look at the way in which quantum physics is altering our understandings, science is often layered. One set of laws may describe behaviour at one level, but different levels may require new laws.

With regards trusting our senses, we don't. This is why we have concepts such as double blind testing, and it's why we use equipment and measurement systems. What I think you may have been getting at is a good point and a basic principle of science, in that you may be hitting on naturalism. Science by definition cannot deal with the supernatural, since it works within the naturalistic world. Science can analyse the supernatural if it's claimed to have a measurable effect in the natural world, ghosts making rooms go cold for example, but that's about it. This is also one reason why science can never be claimed as proving that God doesn't exist. It can prove that he's highly improbable, and that his scripture is flawed, but that's it really.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:58:44 PM by Seank »
"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam"
Popeye (the sailor man)

Offline Ms. Holierthanthou

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • My real name is Vaughn
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
Another thing is that how do we trust science?

You find yourself trusting science because you know that it makes sense.

How do we trust our senses?

If I lay a brick on your lap, and that brick is 179 degrees fahrenheit, will you trust that it feels hot or would you let it remain there just in case that feeling of excruciating pain is a lie?

How do you know that what science has found is real.

Easy...everytime you turn on your television, dial a number into your cell phone, or when you go to the doctor to be treated for an illness...or the car that you drove to get there... All of this is very real.

Decades ago we believed that the world was flat, and at that time, it was the truth. But now, we know that the world is round, because we saw it. From up in space. But back then they felt it. The ground is flat so how can the world be round? So what is the real Truth?

The real truth is that the earth is round and we were able to find this out via the scientific method.

-Ms. Holierthanthou
"Your almighty god is a micro manager." 
-Me

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
There may be one or more deities.  I have seen no positive evidence for them, but they may exist.

The videos focus on some basic reasons why the Christian deity does not exist.  I will add (going with your first paragraph) that it could be that the Christian texts have little to do with any deity but that some deity does exist that may be a small inspiration for the rest of the text.  Yet, if that were the case, there's no point in calling that deity the same name as the one the Christians use as they don't follow that hypothetically real deity but instead they follow a demonstratively unreal one as described in their religious text.

That said, I'm puzzled over two things;

1. Why you are willing to toss out (not prudently verify) your senses and knowledge?

==> This is solipsism or some watered down version of solipsism.

==> Do you use this type of thinking in any other part of your life?  If so, I would imagine it would be difficult to do much of anything.

2. Why do you capitalize common words like god and truth?

==> In your first paragraph, you move away from the specific Christian god named God -- so why use capital g God?

==> The word truth is not a proper noun or name, like Coke or Jane Simmons.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer