Author Topic: Any real Proof for an Imaginary God???  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
Re: Any real Proof for an Imaginary God???
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »
I personally don't pay any real attention to conflicting stories in the bible. There is an entire board for biblical contradictions that are being discussed;

I would like to hear the most silly, contradictory story that is causing iwant2believe's doubts about God. I have never read a story in the Bible that I have felt is silly and contradictory (and yes, I have read the Bible and sites such as http://errancy.org/ that try to find errors in the Bible).

Well, iwant2believe haven't been one since August 3rd, so don't wait for him/her to reply. As far as silly stories - the bible is full of them. The silliest would be the creation story.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline SomariHater

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I don't believe in Jupiter! There is no evidence.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
Well, iwant2believe haven't been one since August 3rd, so don't wait for him/her to reply. As far as silly stories - the bible is full of them. The silliest would be the creation story.

Can you elaborate? What is silly about it?
House (from House M.D.): I assume I'm right, because I find it hard to operate under the opposite assumption.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:06 PM »

Can you elaborate? What is silly about it?

There are two different ones, but both are considered true by some.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »
Are you a creationist? If so, YEC or OEC?

Really since I don't believe in god I don't believe a god could create everything in existence. So that's what makes it silly to me no matter what kind of creationism you believe in.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Operator_A25

• Reader
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
All posts from #33 onward have been moved to How did nature begin? at the request of participants.
Former Global Moderator Account

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »
What do you think about this stuff? In the Realm of Science check out this guy; Dr. A.E. Wilder-Smith?

[WALL o' TEXT]

Sorry, but I didn't read that, and I never will. I'm not interested in reading cut n' pastes from around the web. I'm much more interested in your own thoughts.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline DisdainDavid

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Almighty Zeus
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
You can't use the bible to prove the bible.
I will stop to contribute in this thread until some one shows up and seem to have brain. -- Master

It's a shame how you put your trust in theories that keep on changing. Bible has stayed the same for thousands of years [. . .]  -- Skylark889

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
All this nonsense comes from: http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/messiah.htm

Did you even bother to read the rules?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
What do you think about this stuff? In the Realm of Science check out this guy; Dr. A.E. Wilder-Smith?

Except it is not in the realm of science.

Wilder has never produced any scientific peer review paper with regards to his many creationist claims.  His 'career' is comprised of a few teaching positions and research jobs, but little else.  The few books he has published have been filled with blatant distortions about modern science and even forgeries of claimed findings.

Why is this person even part of this discussion at all?  What science am I supposed to look at?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline reality_chek

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »

Wilder has never produced any scientific peer review paper with regards to his many creationist claims.  His 'career' is comprised of a few teaching positions and research jobs, but little else.  The few books he has published have been filled with blatant distortions about modern science and even forgeries of claimed findings.

Why is this person even part of this discussion at all?  What science am I supposed to look at?

I guess we have different evidence or one of us is lying . . . which one?
Creationist, Chemist, & Lecturer
Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry at University of Reading, England (1941)
Dr.es.Sc. in pharmacological sciences from Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) in Zurich
D.Sc. in pharmacological sciences from University of Geneva (1964)
F.R.I.C. (Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chemistry) Professorships held at numerous institutions including: University of Illinois Medical School Center (Visiting Full Professor of Pharmacology, 1959-61, received 3 "Golden Apple" awards for the best course of lectures), University of Geneva School of Medicine, University of Bergen (Norway) School of Medicine, Hacettepe University (Ankara, Turkey) Medical School, etc.
Former Director of Research for a Swiss pharmaceutical company
Presented the 1986 Huxley Memorial Lecture at the invitation of the University of Oxford
Author or co-author of over 70 scientific publications and more than 30 books published in 17 languages
NATO three-star general
Deceased
Dr. Wilder-Smith was featured in an award-winning film and video series called ORIGINS: How the World Came to Be

Why would he have so many accolades, degrees, and scientific publications. please i humbly ask you to prove your point

Offline Operator_A25

• Reader
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
Trashed post from reality_chek, since it was a massive copy/paste plagiarism from http://www.wildersmith.org/biography.htm and http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/messiah.htm

reality_chek, we have rules about plagiarism here and your posts should be mostly composed of your own thoughts and ideas rather than just a copy and paste of someone else's material.

Forum rules can be found here:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?action=rules

Material from an external source must be cited by providing a Web link or an adequate reference to the relevant publication.

The Forum Etiquette Guide can be found here:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=3997.0

5. Copy and paste large sections of text from other sources.

While forum members are generally encouraged to provide (and cite!) sources for any arguments the present, you should avoid simply cutting and pasting an entire Web page into the reply box and submitting it as your response. Where external sources are used, it is better simply to provide a short excerpt - one or two paragraphs at most - and a link to the source material.

-A25
Former Global Moderator Account

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »

Wilder has never produced any scientific peer review paper with regards to his many creationist claims.  His 'career' is comprised of a few teaching positions and research jobs, but little else.  The few books he has published have been filled with blatant distortions about modern science and even forgeries of claimed findings.

Why is this person even part of this discussion at all?  What science am I supposed to look at?

Why would he have so many accolades, degrees, and

He has a few of these, but that is irrelevant.  He has them because he went to a university and learned about organic chemistry and taught/lectured.  None of this is because of or in relation to his later antiscience creationist nonsense.

scientific publications.

He has some of these, however he doesn't have a single one that has to do with his creationist claims.  None of these have anything to do with disproving evolution or anything he would claim in his creationist nonsense.

please i humbly ask you to prove your point

My point is already proven, he has never published anything with regards to science, to his scientific peers, in any scientific publication, about his creationist claims.  His career essentially crumbled and he fell into obscurity as he published books targeting a science ignorant public.  Those books contained many forgeries ( the hand carved dinosaur/human prints ) and outright distortions of modern science ( claims about evolution ).

No science.

Now, I asked you a question that you did not answer.  Are you going to answer it?

Why is this person even part of this discussion at all?  What science am I supposed to look at?