Author Topic: Flyer posting, pamphlet handouts, etc...  (Read 1500 times)

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Flyer posting, pamphlet handouts, etc...
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:41:07 AM »
Just wondering if anyone does anything like this. Posting flyers in public places, personally handing out pamphlets or even sticking those annoying little pieces of paper under peoples windshield wipers.

These are all things that I personally have never done before but would certainly be interested in taking up. This sort of activity would be quite effective for a couple reasons;

First of all, not everyone uses the internet and even religious folks who do tend to avoid websites like this one. I only found this place because this is something I am interested in.

Second, this can be used to specifically target the people we need to target. People like me finding this website doesn't really help our cause very much. Leaving a quick but poignant note under the windshield wiper of every car outside your local churches Sunday mass is a lot more likely to have the desired effect.

So lets use this thread to get started designing some concise messages to use in some flyers, pamphlets and wiper notes.

I would start right now but I've already been up all night with this website and also this one; http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
I'm finding it hard enough to form coherent sentences as it is just making this post  :-[

You do not want to make me an enemy on this website. This is your only warning.
-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Flyer posting, pamphlet handouts, etc...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:48:25 AM »
No. If I owned a gun, and I saw someone doing that, I'd shoot them. I would. I wouldn't kill them, I'd just shoot their hands so they couldn't do such a thing. I dislike people touching my car to put spam on it. I dislike people putting things on my mailbox ('cause putting them in my mailbox, if not a mailman, is a federal crime but on it is perfectly legal), and/or on my door.

I am against this shit.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
No. If I owned a gun, and I saw someone doing that, I'd shoot them. I would. I wouldn't kill them, I'd just shoot their hands so they couldn't do such a thing. I dislike people touching my car to put spam on it. I dislike people putting things on my mailbox ('cause putting them in my mailbox, if not a mailman, is a federal crime but on it is perfectly legal), and/or on my door.

I am against this shit.

-Nam

Nam, don't you get junk mail in the states?    ....lucky lucky bastards.

There is a church I drive pass regularly that has the occasional ill-considered & irritating folksy proclamation on their notice board, if it wasn't 20 k's up the road I'd be tempted to stick the occasional rebuttal/derail signage on my ute and park it right beside the sign.

I could see handing out flyers might get you stoned as a heretic, but there's better drugs out there.
Windscreen flyers sadly, mainly only end up as littering ex-irritants.

Starting a "...having doubts? ...failing faith? ...let us help you get over your conditioning, helpline" though just might be the go.
It's a tough one BrainLunchFood.            I admire your zeal though.    ...and welcome to the site.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
I am very persuasive in getting people not to put their crap in or on my yard/house.

So, where as they would do this elsewhere, I ignore those people unless I actually see them touch my car; then, if they don't run away, I will break their hands. However, they always run away. Apparently I look like a big & scary guy.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline BrainFoodLunch

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
There is a church I drive pass regularly that has the occasional ill-considered & irritating folksy proclamation on their notice board, if it wasn't 20 k's up the road I'd be tempted to stick the occasional rebuttal/derail signage on my ute and park it right beside the sign.

I could see handing out flyers might get you stoned as a heretic, but there's better drugs out there.
Windscreen flyers sadly, mainly only end up as littering ex-irritants.

Starting a "...having doubts? ...failing faith? ...let us help you get over your conditioning, helpline" though just might be the go.
It's a tough one BrainLunchFood.            I admire your zeal though.    ...and welcome to the site.

Yeah, I admit that wiper flyers might not be the best idea in some locales. Where I live though, this is actually a very common form of advertising and nobody even gets shot or their hands broken!
On the other hand, a lot of it does end up as litter. Church people finding something with "God Is Imaginary" on their car would probably quite incensed and I have no doubt these would mostly end up as so many crumpled balls in the parking lot.

As for handing out pamphlets, I have no problem with people calling me a heretic. If you want to avoid confrontations and do this, it would be easy enough to put an eye catching message on the outside cover and the real message inside. By the time people get to it, many will be too far away to bother turning around to harass you.

But perhaps you want to completely avoid all confrontations whatsoever... Maybe you live in a town full of "big & scary looking" people like Nam who go around roughing up people who aren't actually hurting anyone. Well, then you can fly-post. There are plenty of prominent and legal places that you can post flyers that lots of people will see and you don't have to worry about getting stoned or your hands broken.
-Nam

Offline BrainFoodLunch

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »
Another thing I considered about targeting churches;

Churches (where I live) are attended by about 90% old people.

Targeting the elderly is all but useless. I have experience discussing my perspective on religion with people over 55 and from that experience I have found that there is absolutely no getting through to them. If someone out there has a method, I'd love to hear about it but it seems like the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is very true in this scenario.

I would wager that this is due to the fact that old people are just that; old. They're going to die soon and Jesus is all they really have to look forward to. I guess it makes them happy, so why take that away from them.

And this is of course why it is young people who need this information the most. Unlike old folks who are just basing the last few years of their life on religion, a lot of young people are basing their entire existence and outlook on life on fallacies, superstition and outright lies.

This is what I really have a problem with, especially since I was once one of them.
-Nam

Offline kevyrat69

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • oh rats.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
That would be great to get a ton of flyers and put them on all the cars at church  :D  I would injoy that and kind of stand around and watch the people looking at it hahahhahahha fun idea
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

whatever people are experiencing when they experience God, it's not something they're perceiving in the external world. It's something their brains are making up.
Greta Christina

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
I created a thread to try to get people to help me write some handouts, but got little response. I think it is something that should be done and would have an impact.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
Hi all,
I know this thread is 2 years old but it's exactly the topic I wanted to ask about and as a newbie I can't start new threads.

I think the OP's idea is fantastic. And it's something I've been doing on my own for years now. (but for political issues not related to atheism)
But since I'm basically a militant anti-theist and I believe religion is a scourge on society (particularly as it's used as an excuse to dismiss man-made global warming), I've decided to create and distribute my own anti-religion flyers.

It's something that is very inexpensive to do if you make them small enough and stick to b&w. Mine are 1/4 page size and only cost about a penny each when I buy copies in bulk at the UPS store. (500 pages or more)
The one I'm using right now specifically promotes THIS website. So if the owner or admin would like me to cease, just let me know.
It simply says this:

Why won't God heal amputees?
It's the most important question we can ask about God?
Learn why at:
www.WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com

I've been placing them on
- cars that have jesus fish and/or religious bumper stickers.
- in public restrooms.
- inside books at the Christian section of bookstores like Barnes & Noble.
- on public bulletin boards.

Yes, some people are like Nam. They can't stand people putting stuff on their car. But most people don't mind that much. And I've never had anyone threaten or attack me about it. (and I'm a pretty small guy)
Yes, many will throw it away, but almost everybody will at least read it first. And the wording of the flier doesn't make it clear whether it's pro- or anti-God. So this mystery can likely intrigue people enough to hold onto it until they get home and can check the website.

Thoughts? Good or bad idea? And is this something you would do as well?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the links, Screwtape. I'm familiar with a couple of them, but I hadn't heard of Freeatheism.org.
I followed your link to this page where they lay out the details of how and where they recommend distributing fliers:
http://freeatheism.org/2014/02/22/challenge/
It looks good to me and is similar to what I've been doing on my own.

But I'm also looking for feedback about the specific flier I'm using now, as it mentions/promotes this website by name.
As a site admin, what do you think of this message on a flier:

Learn why at:

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
But I'm also looking for feedback about the specific flier I'm using now, as it mentions/promotes this website by name.
As a site admin, what do you think of this message on a flier:

Learn why at:

It's probably fine, but just out of an abundance of caution, I suggest you contact the the author/ site owner and make sure you are not violating any copyrights.  Plus, respect.  Fair warning: he's a busy guy and not always responsive.

I'd also suggest something a little more compelling.  You want to draw people in.  Do a little research on marketing, sales, graphic design and psychology.  You do not want to be passing out pamphlets that are going to make you or, more importantly, the rest of us look like amateurish doofuses.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
I tried to make it as brief and simple as possible. And also a little mysterious, as the person reading it may not be able to tell whether it's pro- or anti-theist until they get to the website. Therefore, it could attract some theists who would otherwise avoid atheist arguments.

You think it comes across amateurish? How so?

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +45/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
I've been placing them on
- inside books at the Christian section of bookstores like Barnes & Noble.

I like this.

Perhaps it's more effective than moving all those books to the fiction section.

Although I don’t know how many people read actual books anymore. Maybe the old farts that you mentioned. I would expect your target younger audience is reading on tablets and electronic readers. Those are harder to hack than books  ;)