Author Topic: Did a man named Jesus rise from the dead?  (Read 85872 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: Did a man named Jesus rise from the dead?
« Reply #1885 on: July 02, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
Yet somehow, Hal thinks its appropriate to push a viewpoint on me and defend it. Quite dishonest.

Did Jesus rise from the dead - Yes or No?

Cat got your tongue?

Offline SwayzesGhost

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1886 on: July 02, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
Yet somehow, Hal thinks its appropriate to push a viewpoint on me and defend it. Quite dishonest.

Did Jesus rise from the dead - Yes or No?

Cat got your tongue?

Hal, why do you switch the question? In hopes of baiting? You demanded I provide evidence for Jesus existence.  Though you know  very well I did not take a position or even  acknowledge  that proof can be provided of his resurrection.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #1887 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »
Hal, why do you switch the question? In hopes of baiting? You demanded I provide evidence for Jesus existence.  Though you know  very well I did not take a position or even  acknowledge  that proof can be provided of his resurrection.

I asked you a simple question - do YOU believe that Jesus rose from the dead? I'm not asking for evidence, I'm asking for your belief. A simple question that you are dodging at every turn.

Now you are going to be reported to the Mods for continued dodging, which is against the rules.

Good Luck.

Offline SwayzesGhost

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1888 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »

I asked you a simple question - do YOU believe that Jesus rose from the dead? I'm not asking for evidence, I'm asking for your belief. A simple question that you are dodging at every turn.

Now you are going to be reported to the Mods for continued dodging, which is against the rules.

Good Luck.

Translation- I'm gonna cry and complain to the mods cause he didn't do what I said. Give me a break. &)

You haven't gotten a answered to this question cause you have  demonstrated to be dishonest.  I won't respond to someone who's intentionally trying to manipulate the conversation

. Let's see if he/she has the ability to stick with it and offer up any evidence - not proof - that a man named Jesus rose from the dead.

As you can see you tried to assert a position on me.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #1889 on: July 03, 2012, 02:38:14 AM »
You know, if he doesn't want to address the question, then...does he really have to?  I mean, it's not like he's trying to pass off his refusal to answer as anything else.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #1890 on: July 03, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
Translation- I'm gonna cry and complain to the mods cause he didn't do what I said. Give me a break. &)

Dodging questions is against the rules.

You haven't gotten a answered to this question cause you have  demonstrated to be dishonest.  I won't respond to someone who's intentionally trying to manipulate the conversation

Translation - I will dodge simple questions as I please.

Protip: Don't enter 2 year old dead threads and expect to get off not addressing the OP.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #1891 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »

Good Luck.

. Let's see if he/she has the ability to stick with it and offer up any evidence - not proof - that a man named Jesus rose from the dead.

As you can see you tried to assert a position on me.
SwayzesGhost,
I think it would be of great help if you did state whether you believe that the hero of the New Testament, Jesus Christ, did or did not rise from the dead in the days following His [alleged] crucifixion.

It is a simple enough question regardless as to whether you think HAL asked it or not.

As it is, not answering or arguing about the question is, indeed, dodging the issue, which is not allowed under the rules.

GB Moderator.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:29:01 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1892 on: July 08, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
There are many who witnessed the Resurrection, and three who documented it. It is found in Corinthians, I realize none of you care, so I will not bother giving you the verse. However, Corinthians is an indisputable document, to historians, of course not to you phi beta's..... Let's just say Jesus brother, Peter, and Paul all document, first hand, seeing Jesus after death. It is true, well, of course not to you scholars, who rely on NOTHING for your beliefs.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #1893 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
There are many who witnessed the Resurrection, and three who documented it. It is found in Corinthians, I realize none of you care, so I will not bother giving you the verse. However, Corinthians is an indisputable document, to historians, of course not to you phi beta's..... Let's just say Jesus brother, Peter, and Paul all document, first hand, seeing Jesus after death. It is true, well, of course not to you scholars, who rely on NOTHING for your beliefs.

100% perfect logic. No doubt about it.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #1894 on: July 08, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »

Whoa, this is your welcome back message after what, two years of not being active.

Welcome back, BTW.

so, you are telling us that the bible is a historical document containing real history to the historical event that a historical jesus historically rose from the dead? Do I have you right?

So what historians have actually relied on the bible to conclude that Jesus did rise from the dead?

And as One Above All pointed out, do you understand circular reasoning? If so can you point out how your line of reasoning is not circular?

And about the whole relying on nothing comment. That's not particularly true. It's just that personally I rely of evidence and proof, not heresay and a book 'documenting' something decades after it happened.
-M
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:45:53 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1895 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
More books written?
Fran, do you know that in first century Jerusalem that over 90% of the population was illiterate? There were also no printing presses. The way people communicated back then was orally.
Just proves your post is another ignorant atheist posting.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #1896 on: July 08, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1897 on: July 08, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
Emily and One of Whatever....

Thanks for posting nothing... because that is the substance of your argument...
You post nothing, because you have nothing, and in the end, your argument amounts to nothing!

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1898 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
Hey Star,
Great post.. very intellectual!!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #1899 on: July 08, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Emily and One of Whatever....

Thanks for posting nothing... because that is the substance of your argument...
You post nothing, because you have nothing, and in the end, your argument amounts to nothing!

OK, what historian has used the bible to prove that jesus rose from the dead.

And two, answer this question I asked of you.

And as One Above All pointed out, do you understand circular reasoning? If so can you point out how your line of reasoning is not circular?

Don't be a dick this time. How is your line of reasoning not circular?

So go ahead. Just start tossing out how (since it's written about in the bible) it must be true. And use evidence to support your claims. Thanks.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #1900 on: July 08, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
There are many who witnessed the Resurrection, and three who documented it. It is found in Corinthians, I realize none of you care,
I care! I care deeply! I wish none to be deceived!

However, Corinthians is an indisputable document, to historians, of course not to you phi beta's..... Let's just say Jesus brother, Peter, and Paul all document, first hand, seeing Jesus after death. It is true, well, of course not to you scholars, who rely on NOTHING for your beliefs.
There were a lot of people in those days who saw things... It was usually down to the heat and bad food hygiene.

Anyway, what do you mean, Paul saw Jesus after his (Jesus's?) death? Paul fell off his horse with temporal lobe epilepsy 2 years after Jesus was allegedly crucified.

Paul heard voices in his head and saw bright lights. (This is never a good sign.)

OK, what does all this Peter[1] and Paul stuff show?

I mean, from here, it seems like this is a religion based on mental illness. I could be wrong... help me with this one.
 1. If I remember rightly, Peter was the one who saw a giant basin filled with animals come down from Heaven, and heard a voice encouraging him to kill and eat them - Ac:11:4: to Ac:11:10. So he was a bit mentally disturbed too
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:05:12 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1901 on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Love you guys,
Squirming like fish.
"What historian has used the Bible?...  Are you serious? What historian hasn't?
"All this Peter and Paul stuff"....
Let's face it, you do not believe because you do not want to.... Simple....
And the di&* comment...... Funny how all of you can post comics, jokes, and make fun of Christians, but when someone calls you ignorant!!! Whoa!!!! it's a different story!

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #1902 on: July 08, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »
Love you guys,
Squirming like fish.
"What historian has used the Bible?...  Are you serious? What historian hasn't?
"All this Peter and Paul stuff"....
Let's face it, you do not believe because you do not want to.... Simple....
And the di&* comment...... Funny how all of you can post comics, jokes, and make fun of Christians, but when someone calls you ignorant!!! Whoa!!!! it's a different story!

holybuckets, this post does not contribute anything to the discussion.  Please try to be more constructive in the future.  Thank you.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #1903 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
More books written?
Fran, do you know that in first century Jerusalem that over 90% of the population was illiterate? There were also no printing presses. The way people communicated back then was orally.
Just proves your post is another ignorant atheist posting.

My bold.

A really good point. So, what all-powerful being would rely on a hand-written text to get his important ideas across to people?[1]When most people were and would continue to be illiterate for another two thousand years? Why not just beam the info directly into everyone's heads all over the world at the same time, and avoid all possible misunderstandings and mistakes? Or make everyone in the world immediately literate in one language, so at least they could all read the thing. 

It almost seems like the supreme beings want there to be confusion and disputes over religion. Or that regular old human beings made all this stuff up....
 1. Nearly all of them, evidently, from Brahma to Ahura Mazda to Allah.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1904 on: July 08, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
Piano,
Thank you, please allow me to be more constructive.
[idiotic content removed]
Secondly, I realize anytime someone has rebutted one of the ignorant atheist posts, the moderators jump in and squash it.
I do believe the one "constructive" comment I made was to ask the astute poster what historian has not used the Bible as history? To my knowledge, and I am sure the forum will agree that I am not in the same intellectual realm as all of you, the Bible has been used to document and verify history for years.
I certainly hope that my post was constructive[idiotic content removed]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:53:22 PM by Graybeard »

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1905 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
No gods....
Thanks for the post,
I posted historical fact... can you please post something that makes sense?

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1906 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
I love arguing with you intellects. Get Hermes!!!

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #1907 on: July 08, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
Piano,
Thank you, please allow me to be more constructive.
First of all, get a new look. That Goth stuff went out in the 80's.
Secondly, I realize anytime someone has rebutted one of the ignorant atheist posts, the moderators jump in and squash it.
I do believe the one "constructive" comment I made was to ask the astute poster what historian has not used the Bible as history? To my knowledge, and I am sure the forum will agree that I am not in the same intellectual realm as all of you, the Bible has been used to document and verify history for years.
I certainly hope that my post was constructive and you will take into consideration that you look like a buffoon.

Wrong answer.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1908 on: July 08, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Great intellectual response [idiotic content removed]
Seriously, can you review your replies?
You ask "try to post something more whatever.?
What you really mean is, "Hey can you just put down Jesus like the rest of us?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:51:40 PM by Graybeard »

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #1909 on: July 08, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
Great intellectual response Gothman (woman, whatever?)
Seriously, can you review your replies?
You ask "try to post something more whatever.?
What you really mean is, "Hey can you just put down Jesus like the rest of us?"

Welcome aboard Moderated Status Airlines.  We hope you enjoy your flight.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #1910 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
holybuckets,

You're posts will require mod approval, so either contribute to the discussion per the rules and etiquette, or your replies will not be seen by anyone.

Jetson

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #1911 on: July 08, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
No gods....
Thanks for the post,
holybuckets,

What sources can you provide that support your claim that what's written in the bible is historical fact?[1]
 1. Especially the passages that describe miraculous and supernatural events.
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #1912 on: July 08, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
No gods....
Thanks for the post,

Yes, it is historical fact that most people have been illiterate for most of human history. It is also historical fact that many religions have relied on sacred texts of one form or another to record the important ideas of their faith.

If such texts are truly the work of supernatural beings, does that mean that all religions are historically true? Because the same evidence that you use to support the bible supports the Quran, the Gita and Dianetics. (Your evidence is the fact that many people believe it to be true.)

Does it make sense to you that a supernatural being would use a written text to communicate with illiterate people? That is my main question.

You don't have to answer it, but you don't have to dodge it with sarcastic remarks, either. Just say you don't know, or have to think about it. I am not being snide or snippy with you. I expect the same consideration in return.

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #1913 on: July 08, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »

Why don't you do an internet search and ask what historians, archaeologists and philosophers have used the Bible as a factual base of history. See for yourself.

You make the claim, you do the work. This week's themes are "participation" and "answering questions" This seems fair to me. What do you say?

GB Mod.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:49:54 PM by Graybeard »