Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
159 (16.6%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
94 (9.8%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.3%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
273 (28.4%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
36 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
87 (9.1%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
37 (3.9%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.5%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 622

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 68528 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #667 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
It has wisely been brought to my attention ...

You act like a dick and get Darwined TWICE for it.  wtf is wrong with people?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #668 on: March 25, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »
I was tempted to add "Please don't Karmalize me for this" but that sounded too egotistical.

You have my full permission to remove those two +1's, screwtape. My being a dick should not be overlooked simply because I was accidentally adroit at apologizing. I certainly appreciate those who saw my sincerity, but I don't need the plaudits that bad. Not at my age.

Added: I only saw two. There have been hundreds. Use you judgment  ;D

Added after jdawg: I meant to say there MAY have been hundreds, but that was probably a Freudian slip. I shan't touch it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:54:55 AM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #669 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
I was tempted to add "Please don't Karmalize me for this" but that sounded too egotistical.

You have my full permission to remove those two +1's, screwtape. My being a dick should not be overlooked simply because I was accidentally adroit at apologizing. I certainly appreciate those who saw my sincerity, but I don't need the plaudits that bad. Not at my age.

Added: I only saw two. There have been hundreds. Use you judgment  ;D

I was this close to +1ing this post for the irony factor.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #670 on: March 25, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
You have my full permission to remove those two +1's, screwtape.

Hell no I won't.  I don't censor karma.  If someone thought you were worthy of it, who am I to negate that?  I'm just pissy because I'm jealous.  And for that I must humbly apologize to you, this community, the internet as a whole and the universe in general.[1]

Karma's funny.  I occasionally write a post and think "wow, that was flipping brilliant.  I can hardly believe I wrote something that good."  And it gets zero Darwins.   I write an off hand comment I consider nothing more than chit-chat, and it gets three.  It makes no sense, I tells ya.  But dems da berries.  Karma is a cruel and fickle mistress.

My being a dick should not be overlooked...

It wasn't.  Someone pointed it out to you, you admitted it and I just called you a dick.  So, overall, your dickitude was duly noted and well documented.

Go forth, young man.  You are absolved.

1. blatant attempt to curry favor and Darwins!
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +311/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #671 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
I should be karmalized for being a dick and having one.

j/k

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline I Believe

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #672 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
I am a Born Again Christian.  To my understanding of the Holy Bible I believe that God is very real indeed.  I believe also that there is satan who God BigG knows and calls god littleg = the god of this world not of the World to come.  He is some control of things ( as God does allow)  However little g's time is short considering what he will get in the end along with his people.  God ( big G) never meant for the world to end up like this instead satan and some people want hate instead of LOVE because I know from experience that God ( Big G) is LOVE.  I am not here to convince anyone of anything.  I am only here to share my beliefs.  I also do believe that IF God on any given person, moment is Very Capable of healing anyone of anything.  But not so that you can force Him to prove Himself to you who hate Him anyway.

That's all I really had on my Heart.  Who knows maybe someone has the same view and needed some reassurance.  I share in Him amen JESUS IS LORD ~ GOD IS LOVE

I must add that my opinion and yours will not matter in the end IF there really is God.

I am happy that God rescued me from deep of the deep delusions that I was taught as a child and young adult.  Really I should have been dead or in jail but GOD!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #673 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
Hi I Believe

Welcome to our forum. 

Your post was informative, but did not answer the question.  Please read the Original Post of this thread.  If you like, you can answer again with the proper context in mind. 

Thanks.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Black Dwarf

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #674 on: April 10, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
I count myself as a very-nearly-gnostic theist, of the Christian sub-category. I suppose I would write that I am fully convinced that there is a g/God and that is is the God of the Bible. For me there are certain arguments which point to God existing (though I'll not mention those for a bit as they almost invariably start long conversations/arguments), but for me the main thing is that the best explanation of what went on in Israel 2000 years ago is that there was a bloke called, "Jesus" and he was who he claimed to be (as reported in the NT and Tacitus).

Offline Black Dwarf

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is your religious position? (Now with *Henotheism!* ... hmmm.)
« Reply #675 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
I hate to pick nits, but as I have said in other threads, I'm a bit anal about one point: agnosticism is not "I do not know", but rather "It is impossible to know".  I am an agnostic atheist: It is impossible to know for certain whether a god exists, but I don't believe there is one.
Isn't that using the term "agnostic" in one of two possible ways. A good number of people use "agnostic" to mean "I don't know" rather than "It is impossible to know". That's one reason why I prefer the term "weak atheist" rather than "agnostic atheist". "Gnostic" is also ambiguous, particularly at the start of a sentence where it has to have a big "G" as it may also refer to the Gnostics of old, e.g. those who claimed to also be Christian during the 2nd century AD onwards.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #676 on: April 10, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
Agnostic, I thought was what the Greek says, not knowing' but apparently that's not the case. The Wikipedia entry confirms the idea that it implies that something cannot be known. Certainly it is true that the fact that there is not a god could not be proved - unless some specific characteristics make this possible - and it is highly likely that the existence of a god cannot be proved due to the usual god being reticent about communication and action. So I suppose that leaves everyone, pretty much, in the same boat - we don't know either way but we are not agnositics! What fun! atheists and theists with the same problem!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline wow

• Freshman
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #677 on: June 27, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
I voted for agnostic atheist  :police:

Offline Lukvance

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +13/-257
  • Catholic
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #678 on: August 15, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
gnostic monotheist . 93 pple with me. Where are they!? :)
You're worth more than my time

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #679 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
gnostic monotheist . 93 pple with me. Where are they!? :)

I turned one of them into an atheist. Which gives me a much higher success rate than Lourdes can claim. I'm a miracle.

The rest apparently decided that they had better things to do than be told that they're wrong all day long.

That's a hint.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.