3 (27.3%)
Should be filtered so plain stupid shit is not posted
4 (36.4%)
Clutters up useful forum space
2 (18.2%)
Is a total waste of time
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Who else is getting tired of the "mailbag"?  (Read 425 times)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +74/-7
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Who else is getting tired of the "mailbag"?
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:32 PM »
At first, it was great. Now, its fucking wearing on my nerves.
I've been struggling with racism lately. I recently came to the realization that I tend to dislike people with fake orange skin and stubby fingers.

Offline sortasuperb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Tomato-based Life Form
Re: Who else is getting tired of the "mailbag"?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
It gets old fast, so I seldom go there. I can't even tell it changed with a month or more between visits. Almost everything sounds the same.

Some people might continue to enjoy it, so it might be mean to end it. Also, it gives outside folks either mad or happy a place to say something, and that gives us a bit of a barometer on what the rest of the world is like.

I could go either way on this proposal. If enough of us wanted it ended, I wouldn't mind. If they don't, I wouldn't mind either. I would just continue to ignore it most of the time.

I did vote "Clutters up useful forum space" because that's the closest to my feelings if you take away my ambivalence. Presumably it would save on bandwidth, and hence cost, if it were gone.
I can't think for you. But if I have to I can think against you...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
I find if I do not comment on everything from the Mailbag, and just the ones that I can pick a part line-to-line, then I'm good. If it's just a person saying, "I feel sorry for you." or something as minimal as that, I'll skip it.

But, I really have no problem with it.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
The mail bag has it's ups and its downs. Some people who send messages just for the hell of it; without anything useful to say. One message the OP basically said, "F*** You" for about 20-30 lines, then they joined the forum and did it again. DL should not have posted it, because they obviously had nothing constructive to say. There are other posts that just call us ignorant and close minded, and they tell us to get a clue, etc, and they are mostly one liners. Also, there are some who just plagiarize or send in youtube videos without any comments. Again, nothing constructive to say.

However, there are some messages that are meaningful, (at least the OP thinks so), and some do bring users to the site, if only for them to back up their message. Obviously the idea of this website is going to strike a cord with some people (as we all have seen), so they send in there message with what they think. I don't know, but I think it's good for the site to read how people feel about it. As Hermes mentions in a post in the mail bag, some people equate it to dropping a comment card at a local restaurant. (I'm sorry, I forgot where he said it, but he did!) and many people who send a message may never even get around to reading our comments, but some do.

Perhaps there should be some guidelines as to what gets posted.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +414/-24
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »
I vote "It's chum, delicious, delicious chum."    Yep, it gets idiots but that's what I want some times, people who stand as a lovely example of just how ignorant and hateful theists can be. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
Think if this was a Christian website. Would they post everything? No, they'd filter out everything but what Atheists say that is negative, and what Christians say that applaud them. This website posts everything. We get everything posted. Sure, there's a lot of crap in that everything but at least it's everything. There's no bias. That's how it should be.

We are not forced to go to the Mailbag and read it just as they are not forced to respond to the Videos of the website or even joining the website.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me