Author Topic: One small quibble [#1373]  (Read 323 times)

Offline DL

One small quibble [#1373]
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:22:52 PM »
Hello,

Allow me to congratulate and thank you on your incredible sites 
whywontgodhealamputees.com and godisimaginary.com.  These are beacons 
of reason and intelligence in a sea of stupidity, ignorance and 
delusion.  Absolutely awesome resource.

I do have to quibble with one thing -- your Standard Model of God.  It 
is in my opinion misnamed.  That page constitutes a perfect Standard 
Model of the CHRISTIAN God, but not everyone's god.  I think it would 
be appropriate to edit that page to indicate that SOME people (i.e. 
christians) believe that for example you must accept Jesus as your 
savior, while others do not.  Jews, Muslims and many others, making up 
billions of deluded monotheistic religion fans throughout the world, 
believe in one god but not in Jesus.

I feel your site would be equally appropriate and effective for fans 
of non-christian religions as for christians, if you simply did some 
minor editing.  In fact it would probably be a good idea (if you 
haven't done so, forgive me as I haven't read your entire site yet) to 
address not only the bible, but the other major religions' sacred 
books like the koran, torah, etc.  Shouldn't be very difficult as 
they're all based in the same ancient mythologies and in fact many of 
them include the very same texts.

Thanks again and fantastic work!!!

[name]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:24:26 PM by DL »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: One small quibble [#1373]
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »
I do have to quibble with one thing -- your Standard Model of God.  It is in my opinion misnamed.  That page constitutes a perfect Standard Model of the CHRISTIAN God, but not everyone's god.  I think it would be appropriate to edit that page to indicate that SOME people (i.e. christians) believe that for example you must accept Jesus as your savior, while others do not.

I fully agree, yet the videos and the web site are aimed only at the general Christian claims.  Because of that, they are appropriate to that audience.  (That audience tends to ignore all other deities of other religions, so to bring up the subtle difference between "Christian God" and "a god" is often fruitless.)

From the number of Christians that come through the forums, the general description seems to hit most (but not all) of them.  Yet, when I talk with someone even if they tell me they are a Christian, I don't assume that they agree with most other Christians.  The difficult thing, though, is to get someone to tell me what they believe and why they believe it.  They usually skip right to assuming that I can read their mind and that I'm just being stubborn.  Typical and annoying.

In general, when Christians demand that I 'prove that there is no God or stop talking', I ask them about their deity.  This usually goes nowhere.

For what it's worth, there are deities that are disprovable (including the one most Christians say they follow) and ones that aren't, but none that seem credible to me.  The deists and similar deity claims come closest, yet offer no positive support for their deity.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer