Author Topic: Evolution Explained  (Read 33979 times)

Offline ashlie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Evolution Explained
« Reply #493 on: February 06, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Ok so there is no create a new thread button anywhere. I have a question and I can't create a thread..

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #494 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
Ok so there is no create a new thread button anywhere. I have a question and I can't create a thread..

You have to make three, I think, posts before creating a topic.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline ashlie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #495 on: February 06, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
Ok here is 2

Offline thissiteiscrazy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #496 on: May 10, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
"Cynic" was what the Roman soldiers called their guard dogs. They were highly aggressive and distrustful of anything not familiar. New ideas are usually unfamiliar.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #497 on: May 10, 2014, 04:57:30 AM »
"Cynic" was what the Roman soldiers called their guard dogs. They were highly aggressive and distrustful of anything not familiar. New ideas are usually unfamiliar.

So you're saying you don't believe in the verifiable/verified and undeniable fact of evolution because it was "recently" proven? I'd buy that. Religion is as old as written history, and I've said at least two times here that theists are generally slower when it comes to accepting new facts.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline thissiteiscrazy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #498 on: May 10, 2014, 05:08:22 AM »

So you're saying you don't believe in the verifiable/verified and undeniable fact of evolution because it was "recently" proven? I'd buy that. Religion is as old as written history, and I've said at least two times here that theists are generally slower when it comes to accepting new facts.

No I'm just saying that calling yourself "cynic" in a proud manner is a mistake. It makes you just as unaccepting as the religious zealots.

Offline thissiteiscrazy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #499 on: May 10, 2014, 05:20:31 AM »
Creationists usually cling tightly to the Bible literally because of they are afraid of the very immense and diverse amount of ideas that there are out there. Who says that it was not God's intention to slowly and deliberately create the universe and the planet over billions of years. They claim to be humble before God but then they claim they know God's purpose and intention based on a book written thousands of years ago by lesser evolved humans.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #500 on: May 10, 2014, 05:25:40 AM »
No I'm just saying that calling yourself "cynic" in a proud manner is a mistake. It makes you just as unaccepting as the religious zealots.

Quote from: dictionary.com
a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.

Well, I guess that makes me a cynic. Fancy that.[1]

Creationists usually cling tightly to the Bible literally because of they are afraid of the very immense and diverse amount of ideas that there are out there. Who says that it was not God's intention to slowly and deliberately create the universe and the planet over billions of years. They claim to be humble before God but then they claim they know God's purpose and intention based on a book written thousands of years ago by lesser evolved humans.

And you claim to know Allah based on... What again?
 1. Seriously. I am surprised by this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:12:46 AM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #501 on: May 10, 2014, 07:11:31 AM »

Welcome to the site thissiteiscrazy. The site may not be as crazy as you think.   I am glad you look at evolution as possibly god's slow intention.  Many people do not.   I certainly don't know god's intention, or if a god even exists.  I lean toward non-existence. 

And, that gets us into your SPAG questions in another thread.  SPAG is Self Projection As God - meaning, religious people pick and choose what they follow from their books.  I was guilty of it when I stumbled onto this site.  For example, some followers of Judaism would believe that not eating pork is hogwash.  :)  Some christians would believe that the resurrection may not have happened, or that Jesus is not really coming back, or that Noah's ark or Jonah and the whale are fables.  That is why there are some 43,000 denominations.  Just look at the Reformation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Reformation

People were killed who believed differently.  Not any different than today, huh?  That is the argument on this website - atheists are safe from theists here, and can present arguments that will hopefully cause "believers" enough doubt to stop killing over beliefs.  Sort of a Rodney King "can't we all just get along" sentiment.  9/11 is what pushed me into a more aggressive position.  Even now I would argue that Islam's idea of 72 virgins after martyrdom says more about Muslim men's sexism than it does about truth.

Like I said - welcome.  If you have an open mind, hopefully you won't kill us atheists to spread your gospel of love.

edit -spelling
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:20:20 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #502 on: May 10, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »

Well the concept of "pay attention to evidence not superstition" is newer than listening to whatever tales of Gods, magic, and monsters popular in your culture as fact. None the less, newness or oldness is not relevant. Separable from completely made up garbage is relevant

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline blackscarfgal

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
Only one question is still mysterious to me how did very first human got created on this earth?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #504 on: July 26, 2014, 06:23:20 AM »
Only one question is still mysterious to me how did very first human got created on this earth?

You'd need to ask the creationists.
We choose our own gods.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »

If you think we were magically popped into existence and that sort of answer gives you comfort.
Then you have lost your sense of adventure.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #506 on: July 26, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »

Humans were not created, they evolved, just like every other living thing on Earth.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »

The same way as the first worm, the first sparrow, the first elephant. We all slowly evolved, and we're still evolving. If we can keep from killing ourselves, someday someone will ask "Only one question is still mysterious to me how did humans 2.0 get created on earth", because we will continue to evolve, and we will continue to be mystified every time we ignore the evidence.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
Consider for a moment this page from a very old book:

It was written roughly 1000 years ago. It's written in English, but the language has changed so much since then that it is hardly even identifiable, much less actually readable, by modern English speakers/readers (excepting those who've specifically studied old English, of course). It has changed so much that Old English and Modern English should really be thought of as separate, distinct, languages, much like comparing modern English to French or German, for example.

Now consider this question:

Who was the first speaker of modern English?

It's sort of a silly question, isn't it?  Was there some individual person who just started speaking an entirely different language from the one her parents taught her, a language that no one around her could speak or understand? No. Of course not. That's not how languages evolve.

That's also not how species evolve. In both cases, it happens by an accumulation of small changes, such that no generation is incompatible with its immediate ancestors or descendents. So, just as there was no very first speaker of Modern English, there was no very first human.