Author Topic: Evolution Explained  (Read 30551 times)

ParkingPlaces and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tomanyanswers

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Evolution Explained
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
If creation started with the big bang, and the universe has been proven to still be expading then how did any material coagulate?

Offline tomanyanswers

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
If a 600 pound tiger evolved from a 1200 pound sabretooth tiger , where is the bones of a 800 pound tiger?

Offline tomanyanswers

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
If dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago and man came about 10,000 years ago,why are their cave paintings of men fighting dinosaurs?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »
1. There is no reason, in the context of the BBT, to expect material to have existed prior to the big bang, let along to expect it to have "coagulated".  Viscous organic liquids coagulate.  Most other things don't.

2. Probably rotted away.  Bones do that most of the time.  Not that modern tigers necessarily evolved from sabretooth ones anyway.

3. Which paintings are these?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
If creation started with the big bang, and the universe has been proven to still be expading then how did any material coagulate?
For a short while there was too much heat too close for protons to exist stably.  Then when there was more separation protons and neutrons could exist stably.

For a short while there was too much heat for too close for electrons to be captured in orbits around protons or proton-neutron agglomerations.  Then when there was more separation they could be captured.  When a electron joins an atom there is a burst of light given off.  That light is still reaching us.  The result was about 90% hydrogen and the rest helium.  There is a bias towards terrene over contraterrene matter that we do not understand yet.  Small amounts of contraterrene (aka antimatter) have been synthesized -- it is being researched.

Things are not Newtonian determinate.  Randomness always occurs.  Consequently the universe of atoms had some small differences in density.  The atoms and the dark matter, which has mass, caused concentrations of gravity which were able to concentrate matter making a stronger gravitational mass.  This, as you noted, was pretty close to not happening. 

A few large stars formed and then went nova.  These produced shock waves in the very thing gas.  The shock waves further concentrated gas and the galaxies formed around empty spherical voids.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »

If a 600 pound tiger evolved from a 1200 pound sabretooth tiger , where is the bones of a 800 pound tiger?

If dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago and man came about 10,000 years ago,why are their cave paintings of men fighting dinosaurs?

Please be kidding.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
tomanyanswers,

When you see bold green text, pay attention.

Welcome to the forum.  Please take a few minutes to read the rules you agreed to when you registered.  Your three posts above could easily be put in one response, and there are plenty of other conversations to get involved in if you want to get your three posts completed (that's already done now.)

Keep in mind that you should be engaging members in conversation, not just posting questions without providing much context.

Thanks!

Jetson

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
Modern man (capable of making paintings) emerged in Africa about 200,000 years ago and emigrated from Africa 50,000 years ago.

A creationist once presented me with picture of a rock painting of a human and a brontosaur.  The human was roughed and eroded.  The brontosaur was sharp edged and fresh.  The dinosaur was not face forward or in profile as primitive art is, but in a 3/4 pose looking backwards over its shoulder.  Its eye was oversized which made it look cute -- a 20th century cartooning convention.  My only question was whether someone had defaced a valuable ancient art site by painting on it or whether they had simply drawn it on the image with a drawing program such as Photoshop.

Is that the picture you saw?

Or is it this?:  http://www.livescience.com/13448-dinosaur-human-petroglyph-creationism-debunked.html
Ancient images that creationists claim are evidence of humans living alongside dinosaurs are at best just smeared pictures, scientists find.

At the site of Kachina Bridge in Utah — an immense sandstone formation resembling an arch more than 200 feet (60 meters) high and wide that was formed by the undercutting of a rock wall by flowing water  — prehistoric cultures decorated the  walls with paintings and engravings known as petroglyphs. Among them are what young-earth Earth creationists, who believe all life was created on the same day about 6,000 years ago, have said are depictions of dinosaurs, claiming these images as proof of their beliefs. [Scientists Hunt for Signs of Earth's Earliest Life]

Now, closer investigation reveals these ideas are just wishful thinking.

"The most important implication of these findings is that one of the creationist camp's favorite piece of 'evidence' for the coexistence of dinosaurs and humans — a dinosaur petroglyph — doesn't even exist," researcher Phil Senter, a paleontologist at Fayetteville State University in North Carolina, told LiveScience.

The researchers analyzed the four alleged dinosaur images with the naked eye and with binoculars and telephoto lenses while the pictures were illuminated by direct and indirect sunlight and when they were in shadow. [Image of dinosaur petroglyph]

"Dinosaur 1, which I've nicknamed Sinclair because it looks like the Sinclair Gas logo, really does look like a dino when seen with the naked eye," Senter said. "But the archaeologists who did the subsequent fieldwork knew exactly what they were looking at when they came out to examine the figure. This just goes to show that a trained eye can often see what an untrained eye cannot."

The researchers found the "neck" and "head" of Dinosaur 1 are a composite of two separate petroglyphs, while the "legs" appear to just be stains.

"I wonder if, during the process of weathering, chemicals from the man-made, [etched] part dripped down to form the 'legs,'" Senter said. "Lots of mineral stains are all over the canyon that contains Kachina Bridge."

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Evolution,

the horse before 50 million years was not similar to the horse of today (improved version)
man before 50 million years was not similar to the man of today (improved version)
i guess men after 50 million of years will look as follow

1 - they will be much taller (9 ft) and much wider
2 - new complexion will appear (green , pink , orange...etc)
3 - they will be much faster (as horse of today)
4 - fart (good news) will smell as perfumes of today
5 - fart (good news) will sound as music
6 - hear improvement (hearing from long distances)
7 - smell improvement (find anything lost by smelling) gained by dogs
8 - life expectancy (500 years)

Any ideas how humans will look like after billions of years,if earth will stay that long

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:56 AM »
^^ erm, reality check, 50M years ago, 'we' probably looked something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate
(mind, not exactly like this, obviously)

As for the examples you give ... reminds me of a question a muslim co-worker once put to me ... did I believe people would evolve to be able to fly?
As with your suggestions ... the answer is 'no'.

Do any of these things make humans better at producing children?
To pick one ... speed ... humans survive because of their brain combined with nimble fingers to use that brainpower. (to put it succinctly). Would your life be better if you were able to run faster? Sure, you'd catch that bus that otherwise would have driven off, but does that mean you'll have more children?
Erm, no.
In fact, getting better at running, costs you ... the extra muscles takes energy. This is no issue for most people in the west ... but if you're a subsistence farmer in the third world ... this IS an issue. The extra muscle doesn't make you a better farmer AND means you need to grow more food to just survive.

As for what humans will look like 50M years from now ... well, we'd be lucky to still EXIST 50M years from now, never mind in what form.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
Evolution,

the horse before 50 million years was not similar to the horse of today (improved version)
man before 50 million years was not similar to the man of today (improved version)

Any ideas how humans will look like after billions of years,if earth will stay that long

Sorry, but you are amazingly ignorant.  YOu have no idea on how evolution works and since I have given you links to learn about it, you obviously have no interest in knowing.  You are simply a troll. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

Truthfinder, these are interesting predictions.  Would you care to take us through the logical process behind any of them?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
Evolution,

Did you read any of the explanation of evolution at the beginning of the thread or did you just post because you saw it was a thread about evolution?  Because I have to say, what you seem to think is evolution is not evolution.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

Truthfinder, these are interesting predictions.  Would you care to take us through the logical process behind any of them?

if you believe that we were looking similar to what you can see in the link http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Homo_habilis-2.JPG , then no need to explain to you any logical process about my predictions

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
if you believe that we were looking similar to what you can see in the link http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Homo_habilis-2.JPG , then no need to explain to you any logical process about my predictions

but we insist.  Explain the logical process. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2012, 05:56:01 AM »

Except I could sit down and explain to you the reasons for the changes from that to this....if I thought you'd listen.

But you first.  YOU have made these predictions, using your knowledge of the theory of evolution.  I want you to explain by what evolutionary mechanism you expect man to grow over 9' tall, and for their sense of smell to increase to a level comparable with canines, or indeed any other of your predictions.

There have been accusations of trolling made against you - I am giving you one chance to rebut them.  Either explain the processes behind your predictions, or retract them all.  If you do not do so you will be treated as a troll.

Put up or shut up, Truthfinder.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »

Except I could sit down and explain to you the reasons for the changes from that to this....if I thought you'd listen.

But you first.  YOU have made these predictions, using your knowledge of the theory of evolution.  I want you to explain by what evolutionary mechanism you expect man to grow over 9' tall, and for their sense of smell to increase to a level comparable with canines, or indeed any other of your predictions.

There have been accusations of trolling made against you - I am giving you one chance to rebut them.  Either explain the processes behind your predictions, or retract them all.  If you do not do so you will be treated as a troll.

You want me to explain to you my predictions by science ,it is called prediction,Huh

A prediction or forecast is a statement about the way things will happen in the future, often but not always based on experience or knowledge

LISTEN
Evolution do exist,but it is not a natural selection,i am free to accept a theory or not,what i believe is that evolution is a controlled  and a very complicated process which my mind will not accept it as the others did, it is similar to believe that god exist without any tangible evidence and still many believe that god exist and it is up to them to believe or not and i can call it a theory of god existence.

HAVE IN MIND THAT
I DONT DENY EVOLUTION ,BUT WHAT I BELIEVE IS THAT EVOLUTION IS CONTROLLED AND WELL MANAGED
BY......... AND I DONT KNOW WHO IS

MY APOLOGIES!

{modbreak}
obnoxious, gigantic letters reformatted to more readable size.
green text is reserved for moderator action, so that was also changed

~screwtape
{/modbreak}

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:20:13 AM by truthfinder »

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
YOU have made these predictions, using your knowledge of the theory of evolution.  I want you to explain by what evolutionary mechanism you expect man to grow over 9' tall, and for their sense of smell to increase to a level comparable with canines, or indeed any other of your predictions.

You want me to explain to you my predictions by science ,it is called prediction,Huh

A prediction or forecast is a statement about the way things will happen in the future, often but not always based on experience or knowledge

LISTEN
Evolution do exist,but it is not a natural selection,i am free to accept a theory or not,what i believe is that evolution is a controlled  and a very complicated process which my mind will not accept it as the others did, it is similar to believe that god exist without any tangible evidence and still many believe that god exist and it is up to them to believe or not and i can call it a theory of god existence.

HAVE IN MIND THAT
I DONT DENY EVOLUTION ,BUT WHAT I BELIEVE IS THAT EVOLUTION IS CONTROLLED AND WELL MANAGED
BY......... AND I DONT KNOW WHO IS

So you admit that your "predictions" about the human race have no foundation, basis, or structure, and when you said "humans will be 9' tall" you could have just as well said "humans will be 3' tall"?

If that is the case, then your post WAS trolling, as you were making definite but unsubstantiated statements.
If that is NOT the case - and in your theory 9' humans are predictable, with 3' humans an impossibility - then you need to explain why.

Last chance to explain HOW your predictions were made; or retract them; or be treated as a troll.

Please note, BTW - green bold text like this is not simple emphasis - it means I am speaking as a Moderator.  I thought I'd better stress this because your use of colour suggests tht it was not clear to you.

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
i request you to cancel my registration forever and
delete my subjects and relpies  :)

Thanks & best wishes to all of you

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
What a cowardly way of doing things.^^^

I guess I have to add coward to the list, Truthfinder!

Edit: removed vulgarity
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:06:33 AM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
I'M GETTING SO TIRED OF THIS KIND OF PERSON. People like TF come in all Lion of Judah and leave with their tail between their legs like the Cowardly Lion of the Wizard of Oz.

They come in under the guise of trying to learn, but then they don't learn anything. He'll probably go tell his friends about all the angry atheists who couldn't answer his questions.

Good fortune to you, sir! Hope you find what you are looking for.

ADDED:
The thing is I am interested in learning about so many things that I really don't have that much time (or motivation) to devote to this subject, For motivation, I decided that I would go thru the process with someone that really wanted to learn about evolution by starting with the basics and moving through it a step at a time. In my two or so years here it hasn't happened once!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:29:08 AM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline truthfinder

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
 :(  :'(

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
Re: Evolution Ignored
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
:(  :'(

Is that yer last word? Because your comments will be here forever.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:34:25 AM by monkeymind »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
truthfinder,

You are free to stop posting here.  But your replies and comments are now a part of the forum database.  Since you do not identify yourself beyond "truthfinder", I suspect that you can easily deny having written any of it.  In other words, you are safe to leave our forum, and pretend like this never happened.  The integrity of the forum and conversations dictates that we do not delete comments upon request without considering the impact on the thread.

Jetson

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »
It figures. I leave for a week or so and as soon as I get back , the first thing I see it any toy being broken. I swear we are not all like that. But if you guys get bored I can act like I have learned nothing just for kicks.  :angel:  Anyway, I am back , Really never thought I would miss a bunch of atheist ,, but I kinda did.  ;D anyway glad to be back. Now let me see what kind of trouble I can get into.
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2012, 10:21:17 PM »
It figures. I leave for a week or so and as soon as I get back , the first thing I see it any toy being broken. I swear we are not all like that. But if you guys get bored I can act like I have learned nothing just for kicks.  :angel:  Anyway, I am back , Really never thought I would miss a bunch of atheist ,, but I kinda did.  ;D anyway glad to be back. Now let me see what kind of trouble I can get into.

I'm watching you!   :police:

Offline rhocam

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
My turn, my turn.
EVOLUTION EXPLAINED

ignoring the obvious (there is design therefore a Designer)
through exploring the frivolous (these bones mean I am right)
to defend the ludicrous (I can do what I want, there is not God)

*applause*
thank you

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »
So in other words, your explanation consists of lies?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.