Author Topic: Evolution Explained  (Read 34552 times)

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
Re: Evolution Explained
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
Ok,, let's say you are correct.
What did we evolve from?
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
I thought that much could be gleaned from the OP.

Re-read?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »
yes ,, I understand what you are trying to say,, however lets go deeper what started it all. Basically stated, 'everything which begins to exist, must have a cause. What do you believe caused it. Surely your thoughts does not go on the ideal of it just started by itself or that it has always been. so what caused it ?
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
That is an entirely different question.

If you meant to ask this recent question that is unrelated to the topic of the thread, then why did you try to go about it by asking the first one?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
Welcome, riley2112.

yes ,, I understand what you are trying to say,, however lets go deeper what started it all. Basically stated, 'everything which begins to exist, must have a cause. What do you believe caused it. Surely your thoughts does not go on the ideal of it just started by itself or that it has always been. so what caused it ?

This thread is primarily about evolution. If you want to discuss the origins of life and the universe itself, there are threads that deal with such. Such discussion would be more appropriate there.

For instance: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,399.0.html is a recent one about the Big Bang Theory. It's rather long, but if you're genuinely interested, several forum regulars lay out the basic theory and evidence.

Assuming your question is about how evolution started, it began with the first organisms that could respond to changes in their environment and pass on any changes in themselves to subsequent generations. It's an ongoing, continual process of mutation, reproduction and adaptation, among other mechanisms.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »

Ya, not the correct thread. This thread is about a different topic.

Common misunderstanding. No big deal.

Welcome.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
Humanity evolved from sponges, enough said.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Humanity evolved from sponges, enough said.

The kind that come in capsules that you put into water? I loved those things as a kid!
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »

The kind that come in capsules that you put into water? I loved those things as a kid!

Yes the ones that you put into water. :)
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
Damn, I was thinking of Sponge Bob, and him being some kind of missing link or something
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Sorry for the error and thank you for pointing me in the correct direction. However for a parting thought. Evolution is an interesting subject that I am sure will evolve to the fact that the information is questionable at the very least. Thank you again.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Ok,, let's say you are correct.
What did we evolve from?
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
lol.. Great.. If you don't mind me asking, what did they evolve from?
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »

You don't have enough time ...

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Let me cut that short for you: All species on Earth evolved from the first photosynthetic life form that ever appeared. Where did it come from? Not related to Evolution; that's a question for abiogenesis.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:24:49 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
A quick question for riley:  Where do you think life came from?

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »

A quick question for riley:  Where do you think life came from?
[/quote]

At this time I do believe in creation. I came to my decision by the facts that I have uncovered in my search, However , I am still searching and checking my findings. Something had to have started it. what that something is , is what is in question.
--Nikolai Lenin

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
I wish to thank you all for your understanding as I am new to this site. I will leave you all to the thoughts of evolution. As for me , my interest , although involves some aspects of evolution goes deeper than this discussion seems to.  However if you didn't mind , I would like to come back from time to time as my interest covers a huge area. Thank you again.

Much Respect;
                                                                                                    Riley
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +227/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »
At this time I do believe in creation. I came to my decision by the facts that I have uncovered in my search, However , I am still searching and checking my findings. Something had to have started it. what that something is , is what is in question.

Can you please tell us which facts that we can all readily observe point to the notion that the biblical account of creation is most likely true?   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »

Can you please tell us which facts that we can all readily observe point to the notion that the biblical account of creation is most likely true?
[/quote]

You misunderstand my meaning, I am not saying that the biblical account of creation is true. However all signs point to something putting all of existence into play. If you choose to call that God , then so be it . I guess it would depend on your thoughts of what God is. As for the bible being the true story of creation, well , that is still left to be seen. So goes my search.
--Nikolai Lenin

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
However all signs point to something putting all of existence into play.

How does the fact that the universe can appear without a cause point to "something putting all of existence into play"?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »

How does the fact that the universe can appear without a cause point to "something putting all of existence into play"?
[/quote]

That is my point. I can not conceive the universe simply appearing out of nothing. All things can be explained. take a look at the Ontological Argument ( if you type it into google , I am sure many site will appear) It is some very interesting reading and makes one think. The universe is in motion and something caused that motion. Trying to put all of the information that is available into the proper order is a pain staking thing to under take. And filtering out the absurd also is time consuming. Some new thoughts on the subject would be of great help.
--Nikolai Lenin

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »
That is my point. I can not conceive the universe simply appearing out of nothing.

You probably also can't conceive that life has no intrinsic meaning or that electrons move randomly around their respective nucleus or that virtual particles appear (and later disappear) randomly and without any cause, yet all of those things (at least all of them except the last one; scientists are still working on that one) are true. Arguments from personal incredulity suck.

All things can be explained.

Agreed.

take a look at the Ontological Argument ( if you type it into google , I am sure many site will appear) It is some very interesting reading and makes one think.

That "argument" is the worst I've ever heard; even Pascal's Wager is a good argument compared to that one. We have words for a LOT of impossible things, but that doesn't mean any one of them exists.

The universe is in motion

Not really.

and something caused that motion.

Non-sequitur.

Trying to put all of the information that is available into the proper order is a pain staking thing to under take.

Not really.

And filtering out the absurd also is time consuming.

I agree. Filtering out theism cost me years I could've spent learning about particle physics or dating. Either one of those would be time well spent.

Some new thoughts on the subject would be of great help.

We have offered thoughts that have been proven beyond reasonable doubt; you just can't accept them because they're "too complicated".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:42:23 PM by Lucifer »
We choose our own gods.

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »

You probably also can't conceive that life has no intrinsic meaning or that electrons move randomly around their respective nucleus or that virtual particles appear (and later disappear) randomly and without any cause, yet all of those things (at least all of them except the last one; scientists are still working on that one) are true. Arguments from personal incredulity suck.
life having no meaning is something that I find hard to believe

Agreed.

That "argument" is the worst I've ever heard; even Pascal's Wager is a good argument compared to that one. We have words for a LOT of impossible things, but that doesn't mean any one of them exists.
Really, I enjoyed it. However you would not be the first to show criticism and you are in good company.

The universe is in motion

Not really.
and yea really , you know it , I know it , any one with a fifth grade education knows it . After reading some of the things you have written here, you simply saying " Not really" is kind of suprising to me .

and something caused that motion.

Nonsecular.

Trying to put all of the information that is available into the proper order is a pain staking thing to under take.

Not really.
 Maybe I do not have the quick thinking mind that you seem to have, so it does take me some time,

And filtering out the absurd also is time consuming.

I agree. Filtering out theism cost me years I could've spent learning about particle physics or dating. Either one of those would be time well spent.
 Yea I guess dating was fun, but from time to time , well let's just say some of them could have been better

Some new thoughts on the subject would be of great help.

We have offered thoughts that have been proven beyond reasonable doubt; you just can't accept them because they're "too complicated".
I do not put into affect the fact of the proof being to complicated as to it being true or not , it just seems to me that the statement" beyond reasonable doubt" get used alittle to often
[/quote]
--Nikolai Lenin

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
it seems that I have not grasp the use of replying on here as of yet , I will try to improve
--Nikolai Lenin

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
life having no meaning is something that I find hard to believe

I didn't say life had no meaning, I said life had no intrinsic meaning. That means that just because something is alive doesn't make it meaningful. Life gives life meaning.[1]

Really, I enjoyed it. However you would not be the first to show criticism and you are in good company.

I know I'm not the first one to show criticism. That argument has been debunked by pretty much everyone since it was first thought of.

and yea really , you know it , I know it , any one with a fifth grade education knows it . After reading some of the things you have written here, you simply saying " Not really" is kind of suprising to me .

The interior of the universe is in motion, yes. Gravity and its ever-increasing expansion make it so. However, it is nothing supernatural in nature and the universe itself is not in motion relative to itself (how could it be?).

Nonsecular.

I don't even know what you mean by this.

Maybe I do not have the quick thinking mind that you seem to have, so it does take me some time,

This is not quick thinking, this is just quick memory. I examine everything I can think of at any time, perform random research into things most people wouldn't care about and use the evidence I find to draw my own conclusions.

Yea I guess dating was fun, but from time to time , well let's just say some of them could have been better

Agreed.

I do not put into affect the fact of the proof being to complicated as to it being true or not

You kinda did. You said that because you cannot conceive of something that you do not believe in it, even though people a lot smarter than both of us did their homework and concluded things are as they say they are.

it just seems to me that the statement" beyond reasonable doubt" get used a little too often

Beyond reasonable doubt is used when it's necessary. If you'd prefer I could use "to the point that it makes no sense to question it", but that would be dogmatic and untrue.

A small side note: For the love of your god, learn how to quote.
 1. This was posted as "Humans give life meaning", but I tweaked it a bit.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »

That is my point. I can not conceive the universe simply appearing out of nothing.

The limitations of your mental capacities have little to do with reality, however. There are many things in this world which go against what our minds want to tell us. Our brains are extremely poor when it comes to understanding how things really work. This is why we developed science and logic in the first place. As a means of helping us to overcome the limitations of our minds.

Yes they can. However some explanations are markedly less-intelligent and realistic than others. Creationism is so far down the list of intelligent options as to be a step-stool for an amoeba.

take a look at the Ontological Argument ( if you type it into google , I am sure many site will appear) It is some very interesting reading and makes one think.

One of the most idiotic apologistic ideas ever uttered (and that is saying a lot) makes you think?

I will grant that it is interesting, in the way that one takes interest of a train wreck. However if this is your standard for a good argument........

Seriously, Kant tore the argument to pieces back in the 18th century.

The mere concept of god has nothing to do with his/her/its existence. We can certainly conceive of god as having the property of omnipotence (for example) however existing is not a property. Gods existence concerns whether our concept of god corresponds to anything real. Pure reason cannot tell us this (unless the concept used is self-contradictory).

The universe is in motion and something caused that motion. Trying to put all of the information that is available into the proper order is a pain staking thing to under take. And filtering out the absurd also is time consuming. Some new thoughts on the subject would be of great help.

If you are seeking new thoughts, you may want to attempt looking at arguments that haven't been around since the 11th century to suppost your positions. People actually have developed new ideas since the Ontological argument came out.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
Riley, green text indicates that I am speaking to you as a mod.

There is a testing area on the forum for you to learn how to properly use the quote function. Please use it.

You need to learn how to do so properly.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Online riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +39/-9
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
as for learning how to quote , I will work on it. lol..as for  people a lot smarter than both of us did their homework and concluded things are as they say they are. , just a little common thinking here: how many times in history have we heard that , "this is the way it is" as for the universe not being in motion. like you agreed to the universe is in motion as per Gravity and its  expansion but to go on to say that  the universe itself is not in motion relative to itself. Is kind of like,because you cannot conceive of something you do not believe in it." beyond reasonable doubt" Also I am not saying that it is for fact it is supernatural in nature . All I am saying is that motion comes for cause . I am looking for that cause , and yes some people call that God.
     You yourself said that everything can be explained. I am just looking for what can not be explained. Which would mean that it explains itself. If I worded that right.
--Nikolai Lenin