Author Topic: People should be able to state why the believe something  (Read 383 times)

Offline politechristian

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
People should be able to state why the believe something
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
A person should be able to explain their faith, without it being attacked with rude comments.

If I say I believe that black is white, and you say, "your basis for believing that is wrong"
you make the statement that you know everything about this.  But you really don't.

Attack my reasons to believe, not what I believe.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +74/-7
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: People should be able to state why the believe something
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
I've been struggling with racism lately. I recently came to the realization that I tend to dislike people with fake orange skin and stubby fingers.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: People should be able to state why the believe something
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
politechristian,

I'm afraid you have a very wrong idea of what this Forum is about if you think that's ever likely to be permissible. And I will point out that you are walking a very thin line right now.

The Forum Rules clearly state that "Discussion threads are for discussion of the topic at hand, not simply advertising one's opinions. As such, forum members are expected to back up assertions they make, and not engage in stonewalling, shifting goalposts, changing the subject, or employing similar tactics to avoid addressing points raised against them."

So you do not have the right simply to advertise your opinions unchallenged. That is called "witnessing", and we take an extremely dim view of it here. If you make claims about reality, you are expected to back them up. If you show a pattern of behaviour that shows a reluctance or refusal to address people's counter-arguments in a productive, constructive and intelligent manner, and simply post more assertions without evidence, that is known as "trolling" and will get you removed from this Forum with an almost unseemly haste.

As such, the onus is on you to back up your claims. If that is a problem for you, don't make any.

It's up to you. Play by the Rules, or find another forum to play in. Because right now, I am having a hard time deciding how just many of your posts/threads I should simply remove on the grounds that they're spam, off-topic, trolling (as defined above) or inappropriate for the board they were posted in.

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.