Author Topic: 10 Questions every intelligent Christian Must Answer [#182]  (Read 507 times)

Offline DL

10 Questions every intelligent Christian Must Answer [#182]
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »

So i watched your video (title in the subject) and i have a response to make, so here goes:

I will answer the questions for you.

#1- (about amputees) the miracle is that you are still alive and not dead.

#2- (starving people) cause half of them arent praying for help and because praying isnt enough alone. you have to act for God, and sometimes God does things like that because we are outside of his plan and that is how he gets our attention to get us back into his plan.

#3- (death of people) all of the verses on the screen dont command people to be killed, and the times in the Bible where people ARE killed they arent innocent. Disobeying God automatically makes you guilty and sinning is punishable by death, even lying. Even the verses on the screen are all about sinning, so it doesnt matter.

#4- (anit-science) As for the all the accusations of things that did not happen- none of us were there so we cant say for sure. But science is actually on the BIBLE'S side on ALL of those, people are just too stupid to ignore it. And when it comes to Jonah, he was never actually swallowed by the fish (which was actually a whale) he was most likely kept in the mouth)

#5- (slavery) Slavery in the Bible was NOWHERE near slavery in our times. It was more indentured servants that were paying off a debt and were treated with dignity and respect, unlike slaves are today. They were not captured out of their will, it usually gave them a place to live that they wouldnt otherwise have.

#6- (bad things to good people) Ah, the age old question... i feel like i have answered this so many times, haha. Nobody is good. everyone is a sinner and the punishment of sin is death. Lying, swearing, sex outside of marriage- all are sins and make everyone bad people. Bad things happen because of sin, they are a punishment. Nobody is sinless so nobody can have only good things happen. Also, people focus on the bad things instead of the good blessings they have because they are ignorant.

#7- (Jesus' miracles evidence) what kind of evidence can you get from someone walking on water? footprints? someone turning water into wine? feeding people with so little food? healing people? Those arent things that can leave evidence until nowadays without it being written down... oh wait, it was in the BIBLE!

#8- (Jesus never appearing) Who says Jesus has never appeared? What happens to each individual person is their live and nobody REALLY has any reason to know, its between them and Jesus. But why would he have to appear in the flesh. He is all around us, and in us, in spirit. And sometimes he appears to us in signs. Just cause he is alive doesnt mean He has to show himself in human form, that part of him is dead.

#9- (eating Jesus' body and drinking His blood) When we do that it is all symbolic. We eat bread for his body and wine (or grape juice) for his blood. It shows that we are grateful for his sacrifice and take it into our lives with Him as our Lord and Savior. This is a hard question to explain, but we dont need to explain what God does anyway. He is God for a reason and we cant fathom him.

#10- (Divorce) Since Christians are people just like everyone else its not too surprising that they divorce at the same rate. sure, Christians are supposed to stay together like God wants, but that doesnt mean all Christians are perfect or all people are perfect. Sometimes the divorce is because of abuse (which is a problem of one person's mind and body that manifests in negative ways) others they get divorced because of one being unfaithful. This is because the unfaithful one has their own problems with commitment. And this is actually a reasonable reason to get divorced, it even says so in the Bible. Other times, they get divorced because they simply rushed into something. Sure most of these reasons arent really good reasons, but the problem is that they happen none the less and we have to deal with that. The main problem is that marriage and relationships arent valued the same way they used to be, mostly because of the media. people dont put the same emphasis on commitment that they should and used to, and that has carried from main stream to Christian as well, because we are all in the same world all facing the same problems.

This stupid video called all my explainations for the answeres absurd and obscure rationalizations that didnt make sense and made me squirm... i actually enjoyed writing them and they dont make me squirm and they are all very intelligent and rational resons, not excuses or rationalizations, but perfect, legitimate responses to the 9absurd questions posed in the video.

Now, before you start to bash me here is one more piece of the puzzle... im not an educated Christian... i am a 16 year old high school senior, who happens to know about his Faith and his God enough to answer your questions. So please, you dont know what you are talking about so just back of. Thanks, have a great day!

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: 10 Questions every intelligent Christian Must Answer [#182]
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:54 AM »

So i watched your video (title in the subject) and i have a response to make, so here goes:

But I thought death for Christians meant a perfect body in heaven? So in that sense, death would be the better alternative, correct?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:40:38 AM »
the miracle is that you are still alive and not dead.

Matthew 21:21 says that they should receive whatever they ask for.

cause half of them arent praying for help and because praying isnt enough alone. you have to act for God, and sometimes God does things like that because we are outside of his plan and that is how he gets our attention to get us back into his plan.

1. Oh please.  What about the people that do pray for them, and how would you like them to act when they're on the brink of starving?
2. What useful purpose could this possibly serve?  Seriously.

all of the verses on the screen dont command people to be killed, and the times in the Bible where people ARE killed they arent innocent. Disobeying God automatically makes you guilty and sinning is punishable by death, even lying. Even the verses on the screen are all about sinning, so it doesnt matter.

1. If that's the case, then your god is definitely not worthy of worship.
2. There was one tribe of people whom Moses and Co. killed simply because they wouldn't allow them to pass.
3. Exodus 31:14 - 'Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people.'

As for the all the accusations of things that did not happen- none of us were there so we cant say for sure. But science is actually on the BIBLE'S side on ALL of those, people are just too stupid to ignore it. And when it comes to Jonah, he was never actually swallowed by the fish (which was actually a whale) he was most likely kept in the mouth)

No, it isn't.  There is zero evidence for any of this nonsense.

Slavery in the Bible was NOWHERE near slavery in our times. It was more indentured servants that were paying off a debt and were treated with dignity and respect, unlike slaves are today. They were not captured out of their will, it usually gave them a place to live that they wouldnt otherwise have.

And then they were not allowed to go free and could be beaten, so long as they weren't killed.  Sounds like the same old slavery I know and hate.

Ah, the age old question... i feel like i have answered this so many times, haha. Nobody is good. everyone is a sinner and the punishment of sin is death. Lying, swearing, sex outside of marriage- all are sins and make everyone bad people. Bad things happen because of sin, they are a punishment. Nobody is sinless so nobody can have only good things happen. Also, people focus on the bad things instead of the good blessings they have because they are ignorant.

Or, more likely, God doesn't exist and therefore can't help his own.  It sounds more logical than saying that an all-good God allows bad things to happen.

what kind of evidence can you get from someone walking on water? footprints? someone turning water into wine? feeding people with so little food? healing people? Those arent things that can leave evidence until nowadays without it being written down... oh wait, it was in the BIBLE!

Oh, I don't know...maybe moving a freakin' mountain?

Who says Jesus has never appeared? What happens to each individual person is their live and nobody REALLY has any reason to know, its between them and Jesus. But why would he have to appear in the flesh. He is all around us, and in us, in spirit. And sometimes he appears to us in signs. Just cause he is alive doesnt mean He has to show himself in human form, that part of him is dead.

Us.  Matthew 21:21.  He appeared to Thomas, why won't he appear to us now?

When we do that it is all symbolic.

Look up the pagan origins of this "symbol."
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »

I think you are mistaken.  No miracle there.  Just hard work by dedicated doctors, nurses and researchers.  If it wasn't for these knowledgeable people, I doubt your god(since he's imaginary) would have stepped in to save the life of any amputee.  It's disgusting how you are dismissing decades and decades of hard work and research done by humans to find out ways to save lives and make those saved lives better and more confortable.

#2- (starving people) cause half of them arent praying for help and because praying isnt enough alone. you have to act for God, and sometimes God does things like that because we are outside of his plan and that is how he gets our attention to get us back into his plan.
Half?  Really?  Can you really tell me that if you were looking at this child and she was praying for a day's worth of food, you would not provide it because prayer isn't enough or she doesn't have the energy to "act for god"?  So, after this child died, whose attention did it get?  What plan did god get back?  I couldn't worship such a vile entity.  27,000 child will die of starvation today because your god does nothing.

#3- (death of people) all of the verses on the screen dont command people to be killed, and the times in the Bible where people ARE killed they arent innocent. Disobeying God automatically makes you guilty and sinning is punishable by death, even lying. Even the verses on the screen are all about sinning, so it doesnt matter.
So, how is your god a loving god again?  Dehumanization of humanity to justify your god's atrocities.  Nice.

#4- (anit-science) As for the all the accusations of things that did not happen- none of us were there so we cant say for sure. But science is actually on the BIBLE'S side on ALL of those, people are just too stupid to ignore it. And when it comes to Jonah, he was never actually swallowed by the fish (which was actually a whale) he was most likely kept in the mouth)
Please list for us the scientific advancements that were made possible by claims made in the bible?  6 day creation?  No, that's not it.  6-10K year old earth?  No.  Talking snakes and donkeys?  No.  Men made of dirt?  No.  A firmament?  No.  Worldwide flood?  No.  All mankind traced back to two individuals?  No.  Seems I'm having a hard time coming up with something.  Wonder why.

Jonah 1:17 (New International Version)

17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.

I bet those stomach acids did wonders for Jonah's complexion after 3 days.

#7- (Jesus' miracles evidence) what kind of evidence can you get from someone walking on water? footprints? someone turning water into wine? feeding people with so little food? healing people? Those arent things that can leave evidence until nowadays without it being written down... oh wait, it was in the BIBLE!
You want to use the bible to show the stories in the bible are true historical accounts?  Man, is anyone else getting dizzy?

#9- (eating Jesus' body and drinking His blood) When we do that it is all symbolic. We eat bread for his body and wine (or grape juice) for his blood. It shows that we are grateful for his sacrifice and take it into our lives with Him as our Lord and Savior. This is a hard question to explain, but we dont need to explain what God does anyway. He is God for a reason and we cant fathom him.
Pretend cannibalism is just as disgusting as real cannabalism.   

"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »

So, how is your god a loving god again?  Dehumanization of humanity to justify your god's atrocities.  Nice.

Thats the real meat to this comedy.  It is also something that various apologetics attempt to do when it comes to the various genocidal rampages supposedly recorded in the old testament.  My favorite involves explaining the murder of canaanite children as follows:

"They killed the canaanite children because the canaanite people were evil often sacrificing their own children."

So lets get this right:  Its ok to kill children or innocents, along as the people they are associated with are killing them too?

The poster obviously avoids this irony in ignoring that many of the individuals involved in these violent stories, were either kidnapped as children or slaughtered with the rest of their family.  How the child can be deemed guilty of anything more then a semitic child doesn't seem to be a problem for them, but justifiably it is a problem for anyone without the arrogance and credulous belief required in order to purposefully dehumanize a target for the purpose of constructing an enemy image.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
Yesterday ATT had a new member who linked an article stating that the children had STD's and keeping them alive would have spread the diseases to the Isrealites.  Where do they get this crap from? 

First, after generations of the sort of moral degeneracy that characterized these peoples, it may be that even the smallest children were beyond civilizing. Apparently even they were abused and forced to participate in obscene conduct, such that they would have grown up psychologically and spiritually scarred-and perhaps threatened to perpetuate the cycle.

Second, the STDs and other infectious diseases that must have pervaded those cities may well have been carried by the smallest children, and if so, they may have posed a grave danger to the physical health of the Israelites. Imagine some of the nations today most ravaged by AIDS, but living more than three thousand years ago, with no access to even the most basic medical resources. It may be that infectious diseases were also ravaging the domestic animals in these cities, which would also explain why they were destroyed.

It's horrible to contemplate that things were so bad that it was actually necessary for even the youngest members of that society to be killed in order to stop the generational cycle of degeneracy and disease. But something along these lines seems likely to be the reason for God's order to leave alive nothing that breathed.
http://www.4truth.net/site/c.hiKXLbPNLrF/b.3226507/k.515A/Joshuas_Conquest_Was_It_Justified.htm
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
The only thing horrific here is that that apologetic answer, justifies any massacre against anyone for not believing exactly as that apologetic believes.  Anything that can be construed as anti-biblical in their view, based on claiming that is itself creating disease and degeneracy, would justify any act of murder or genocide.  All made on an appeal to an authority that neither the bible attempts to demonstrate, nor the authority he references demonstrate for itself.

Historically speaking, that is exactly the manner in which most of the massacres in the name of god belief were justified.  By first, demonizing/dehumanizing the target to a point where actions are justified against it or the attempt to justify the violence that had already occured.

Absolutely horrific.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me