Author Topic: Proving that the Bible is repulsive [#173]  (Read 713 times)

Offline DL

Proving that the Bible is repulsive [#173]
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:16 AM »
I am a christian so does that mean that I am stupid or unintelligent? I have read the bible but I am not sure if you have. Most of what your saying in this video is from old testament which only Jews follow now. All other christian based religions, like mine, which is Southern Baptist, follow the teachings of Christ which is the New testament. Now we have the freedom(thanks to solider's like me) to believe in what ever we choose. That goes for you and for me. So why try to push your anti-god theory on everyone else. I am glad that you have your own view but so does everyone else. The parts that talk about killing teenagers and slavery and working on the sabbath, are old testament, so that does not apply to us now. Also, the rules that were written was for the time that they were written in. Self amputation was NOT literal. It just meant that you should not do things that will make you sin. Where it says to eat His flesh and drink His blood, that act is a symbol. It was a symbol of the flesh (bread) and blood (wine) that he would sacrifice by being nailed to the cross. Why does it seem like you have a vendetta against christianity? The bible is only read to you children by either your family or church, since it is illegal to read it or even refer to it in school in the United States. If you think that it is repulsive, fine don't read it. But most Christians don't push it on others, I don't, if someone believes then they believe, if not, then fine, so why push your opinion? Thousands and thousands of intelligent and thoughtful people DO believe in the bible, God and Jesus. You implication that only intelligent and thoughtful people are right and Christians are dumb in it's self is repulsive. Are you lacking something in your life that makes you want to put people down to make yourself feel better? I do not need validation from you ,only curious why you are acting repulsive to christianity?

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: Proving that the Bible is repulsive [#173]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »
Hasn't this letter already been posted?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:33:34 AM »
^I don't recognize it, but you could be right.  Might just be indecipherable from all the others we get.

Now we have the freedom(thanks to solider's like me) to believe in what ever we choose. That goes for you and for me. So why try to push your anti-god theory on everyone else.

I'm sorry, I don't consider having a website and some videos "pushing your theory on everyone else."  By your logic, then, all the Christian websites are forcing their belief in God on everyone else as well.

The parts that talk about killing teenagers and slavery and working on the sabbath, are old testament, so that does not apply to us now.

If it does not apply, why is it still included?

Self amputation was NOT literal. It just meant that you should not do things that will make you sin.

Really?  And how do you know that you're not supposed to take it literally?  What clues in the Scriptures help you crack the code? Hint: there are none.  How are the people without the Special Christian Edition Magic 8-Ball supposed to conclude this?

here it says to eat His flesh and drink His blood, that act is a symbol. It was a symbol of the flesh (bread) and blood (wine) that he would sacrifice by being nailed to the cross

Look up the origins of this "symbol."  Start with the pagans.

Why does it seem like you have a vendetta against christianity?

I suppose it could be construed as such because most of the US is Christian.  Although we could just as easily disprove Allah, Vishnu, or anyone else.

Thousands and thousands of intelligent and thoughtful people DO believe in the bible

If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

If you think that it is repulsive, fine don't read it. But most Christians don't push it on others,

We know, but a small but vocal minority do.  If you don't like our beliefs, then you don't have to come here. 
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
What? southern Baptists don't believe in the Old Testement? They why do they hate teh gays for?
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline carlosm7

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
Hi all.

I have read the bible but I am not sure if you have.
We'll see.

Most of what your saying in this video is from old testament which only Jews follow now. All other christian based religions, like mine, which is Southern Baptist, follow the teachings of Christ which is the New testament.
Nope... you are not really reading the bible. Where it says we have been freed from the old testament?

Now we have the freedom(thanks to solider's like me) to believe in what ever we choose.
Right. George Washington & Co. had nothing to do with it.

That goes for you and for me. So why try to push your anti-god theory on everyone else.
Free speech anyone? I have various of your posts already, and no one has been rude to you, I think. Is anybody here telling you "So why try to push your pro-god theory on everyone else?"

Where it says to eat His flesh and drink His blood, that act is a symbol.
I think an all knowing God could have come up with symbol that does not feel so grotesque.

But most Christians don't push it on others, I don't, if someone believes then they believe, if not, then fine, so why push your opinion?
Puerto Rico's resolution 99 anyone? It's a very good thing it fell appart. This resolution was about making marriage something constitutional, preventing people of same gender from getting married, to take away rights from bastard children, etc. The church was a very big advocate for this resolution.

Quote from: StPatrick
If it does not apply, why is it still included?
I think they still need it to prove the new testament by means of out of context quotes, or something like that.
Picolo is my savior!

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
Most of what your saying in this video is from old testament which only Jews follow now. All other christian based religions, like mine, which is Southern Baptist, follow the teachings of Christ which is the New testament.

I see. So you have dispensed with:

• Thou shalt not steal (and the other 9 commandments)
  • The Book of Genesis--does that mean you are not a Creationist? You must be lonely at Southern Baptist services. (Oh wait--you don't have to honor the Sabbath, so no need to attend services)
  • The Book of Psalms--I'm with you there. Most of them are terribly overrated. Not to mention repetitive. Still, the hymnals are going to get a lot shorter.

Now we have the freedom(thanks to solider's like me) to believe in what ever we choose.

You're a soldier? Thank you. Seriously.

So why try to push your anti-god theory on everyone else.

The prophet Robert Ingersoll appeared to me in a dream and said, "Go and teach all nations."
Catchy phrase, don't you think? I can't help thinking I've heard it before.

The bible is only read to you children by either your family or church, since it is illegal to read it or even refer to it in school in the United States.

False. I live in one of the most lefty-looney towns in the bluest of the blue states, and all my kids went to a public high school, where they all took a Biblical Studies course. Such courses are not unusual. It's kind of hard to understand western literature without knowing something about the Bible. Where do you get your information?

But most Christians don't push it on others....
That's it: Matthew 28:19 --"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." I knew I'd heard it somewhere before.

I would be happy to discuss these matters or any others with you, right here, anytime you like. I would like to talk to an intelligent believer.
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline meme

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
Regarding to claim that bible is not read to children at school. 

That might be true in USA, but in UK they not only read it in school, but it is COMPULSARY for them to teach children to be Christians.  It is in the curriculum.  Schools must force children to pray daily to the Christian god. I had to endure daily assemblies where prayers were recited and songs sung in praise of the Christian god.  Also the bible must be taught in class. 

I'm not sure how schools are told to teach it but in practise the children from age 4 onwards are taught this as facts.  My children are being told in a matter of fact way about Jesus and the Christmas story, Easter, Noah and the flood and genesis as if it is all true, without even hint that it may just be fiction or that any other explanation is possible.  They are being taught this as if it is as much a certainty as 2+2=4. 

Note this is not a religious school, but a state publicly funded school that does not officially support any one religion.  In practise it forces daily religious indoctrination on very young children.  I would change school but any other school near by would be same or worse.  (And as I live in Northern Ireland, the others can be so so much worse.)  The opt out clause is no use, I heard of one kid who opted out, the only child in the school to do so.  He got to stand by himself against the wall outside the assembly every day while the other kids being lead to their daily brainwashing session stared asking "what's wrong with him" leading to him being social pariah at school and being bullied.  Not a good option if you want your child to be happy. Anyway religion should always be opt in not opt out.

I have done as much to prepare my children by explaining ideas of fact and fiction, so they know most stuff they read or see on TV is just pretend and not truth.  It is an uphill battle though as they seem to have one exercise book for religious lessons, and second book for everything else.  When they encounter something they are not familiar with they ask me if it real or made up.  I also read various other mythologies to them so they are familiar with the concept of myths and legends to help them recognise Christian stories as just another mythology.  (An aside: they really like the Greek legends, which is nice as those are my favourite as well.  If only people would view Christian myths the way they view Greek myths.) 

So far they accept the god stuff at school is just a fiction but the delusion that it is true is all around them.  Most people at school, friends, relatives and neighbours are religious. (I regularly hear "god bless you" "I'll pray for you" "Jesus loves you") Social events all seem to have god theme with, the street theatre at the market was the Noah story.  Pamphlets through the door promoting religions and nearby churches come most weeks.  Most kid clubs are overtly religious.  Already at six my kid is getting peer pressure to go to church like all the other kids.  For now my kids just think people believing in religions are silly, but how long before all the delusion around them overwhelm my attempts to keep them rational. 

Many people say, why oppose religion, just let people believe what they want, what harm is it to you?  If they kept their beliefs to themselves that might be a valid point.  But they don't, they try to impose their beliefs on the rest of us, they try to make all of us live our lives according to their beliefs.  For the most part I can avoid them and I am intelligent and rational enough resist their arguments.  However the forcing of religious beliefs on children in a manner they cannot avoid is much more serious .  Trusting young children believe anything they are told especially from adults in authority positions.  So they need our protection from those who abuse their position of power to poison and cripple their minds with religious nonsense. 

Why oppose religion? The above is just one of many reasons religion harms society, I think the benefits of religion can be obtained by other means that avoid the negatives of religion and society would be better if all religions faded to myths that no one believes in any more.  Religion is too powerful a meme to go away of its own accord so we need to actively educate people against it. 
"Spread the Good News.  There is no god!" - Meme

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »

That might be true in USA,

It's not true in the USA, as I noted above.

but in UK they not only read it in school, but it is COMPULSARY for them to teach children to be Christians.  It is in the curriculum.  Schools must force children to pray daily to the Christian god. I had to endure daily assemblies where prayers were recited and songs sung in praise of the Christian god.  Also the bible must be taught in class. 

Not a big surprise, considering the UK has an official, state-sponsored religion, and the Head of State is also the Head of the Church. (For the Anglo-challenged, I'm talking about the queen.) Maybe the way to eliminate religion in the US is to make Christianity the official religion.  It certainly seems to have put a damper on religious practice over there.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »

That might be true in USA, but in UK they not only read it in school, but it is COMPULSARY for them to teach children to be Christians.  It is in the curriculum.  Schools must force children to pray daily to the Christian god. I had to endure daily assemblies where prayers were recited and songs sung in praise of the Christian god.  Also the bible must be taught in class. 

Don't tell Frank. He'll be crushed.