Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 769 times)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello all
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Hello, I am Garja, 32 from a smallish town in south-central Ohio.  I was a Christian until about 6 months ago but now bounce between atheist and agnostic depending on what time of day you ask me... Most of the time i feel that believing bronze age goat-hearders over real science is really ill informed.  Let's see what else... I have a BA in Sociology-criminology and will have a BS is Social Studies (history minor) in a few months so I am very interested in the role that religion has played in various societies through the ages.  I'm a firm believer in "don't be a d!ck" postings, so even if I think you are stupid I will almost definitely say it much nicer!
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
Hi Garja,
  Welcome and enjoy the ride.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
Hello Garja, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Welcome dude.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
Thanks for the reception.  I read all of WWGHA while on vacation last week and thought I would join in the discussion about that and other theological questions.  I've always enjoyed a good debate... Now I just take the other side.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »
Welcome to the forums!  I think you will fit in well with this motley crew.  Even though you've only posted a few times, you got my attention first with the Neil Degrasse Tyson on the NASA budget comment, and later with a refreshingly honest response on the pedophilia thread.  So I am looking forward to learning more about you and your beliefs and perceptions and life experiences. 

Deconverted a short 6 months ago?  Wow.  I think that you'll find that this is a great place to be and learn and share. 

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
Yeah.... I was actually a Bible study leader in college. lol.  For a long time I was like... okay, I'll believe everything but Genesis.  Then honestly last Christmas I was at a play at church (only went occasionally anyway, cause lets face it... it sucks).  Anyway, they were at the whole "virgin birth" thing....  This was clearly a society that gave young girls.... MOTIVATION to hide pre-marital sex.  So it went, did some serious thinking, and started reading.  Facts and religion tend to be contradictory.

And thanks Q, Neil Degrasse Tyson is the freaking man!

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
I'm an asshole, not a dick.

:P

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »
History and sociology thats right up my alley. What makes this place great is the many different people with their own specialties able to contribute from their perspective.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
History and sociology thats right up my alley. What makes this place great is the many different people with their own specialties able to contribute from their perspective.

History is one of those things that makes it hard to be a theist... or at least a Christian.  When you start really getting into all the things that have been done in the name of God over the centuries (with no intervention from above), and when you start getting into how the Bible actually came to be... its gets really hard to believe that it was in any way divinely inspired.  But yeah, I actually start the "beginning of the end" of my degree in 2 weeks when I start my student teaching.  The unfortunate thing is I will likely have to keep my religious beliefs under wraps given the community's views on such things.

-Benjamin Franklin