Author Topic: Thank you [#1311]  (Read 488 times)

Offline DL

Thank you [#1311]
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:26:59 PM »
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for this website.

Like most people in this country I was raised to believe in god, (by my grandparents
and thankfully they weren't the over-the-top, church-going type, just more of a
general lip-service type), unlike most people who were raised that way, it never
felt right to me. My father tried to baptize me when I was about 10 and I screamed
and cried so much he finally just forced my head underwater, (it was one of those en
mass beach affairs). About a year later he sent me to a christian summer camp, where
at one point the all of the kids and counselors gathered around a campfire to pledge
themselves to god. I refused. I was the only one. I was pressured and eventually
scorned for it, and I couldn't even understand myself why I wouldn't; after all
aren't you supposed to believe everything adults tell you at that age? It wasn't
until I was in high school that I even knew there were other options or what term
best described how I felt...

Now I'm the only atheist, (and I use that term loosely because I hate to affiliate
myself with any group 100%), I know and it gets a little frustrating at times. I
have had to bite my tongue and curb my laughter so often for fear of offending, that
I just want to scream sometimes. I have given up trying to talk sense into any of my
loved ones and have even had to stoop as low as playing the "let's pretend god is
real" game for the sake of too many arguments. I almost forgot how truly heinous the
bible is (and most religious texts), and you also reminded me why religion is so
dangerous. I wish it were not true but it is. I wish I could say, "I don't care what
other people believe", but I can't; those people affect our daily lives way too much
and hurt too many people.

I really haven't done much research into these kinds of websites, but I found yours
to be very straight-forward, intelligent, and done with finesse (and some humor). I
think it would be all too tempting to be hostile and hateful, but you have taken a
higher road and I'm glad.

Unfortunately, religion is here to stay (at least for the for-seeable future).
However, it is nice to know I am not alone is my disbelief.
Thank You

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: Thank you [#1311]
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
I read your entire email and I must say that it is very touching.

This forum is completely free and only takes a minute or two to sign up.  If you would like a conversation with other like minded people such as yourself this might be the place for you, depending on how you like online forums.  You wouldn't even need to post in any debates or anything.  There are two sections of this forum named 'Chatter' and 'Support'.  The first is for random nonsense from our days, news stories, games, personal talk, whatever really.  And the latter is for advice seeking from other members of the board on various subjects in personal matters.

Basically if you want a place to go and just chit-chat to a bunch of atheists and freethinking minds such as yourself this is the place to go.

There are many things that I could say about your post as I know myself and many other members of this place have gone through or are going through similar situations that you described.

Take care and hope to see you around,
-Irish  :)
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Cumulo Nimbus

• E*PAK*SA
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Are You Ready for the Pon-Chak?!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »
Every once in a while, we get e-mails like yours, thanking the site for helping and understanding.
You're not alone.  Sometimes it may feel like it (I'm an atheist in the bible belt  ;) ) you never are.  Especially if you come here.  I enjoyed reading your e-mail and it would be great to have you join the site, to learn more and to talk to others like yourself.

Take care.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
It's always amazing on the difference between a post to the mailbag from a theist and from an atheist/agnostic. 

OP, I hope you are well and you are always welcome here.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
^^^ Agreed 110% and echoed.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
That's a great letter.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Thank you back.  That must have been a crazy scene when your father tried to have you baptized.  You have a home here if you want it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 13UnderTheGun

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 02:56:09 AM »
You are definitely not alone OP!

I really hope you take up the invitation, and come and join us.

I am in a situation similar to yours. I really only have one or two friends that agree with me on religion and sometimes I get very frustrated. Everyone around me is christian in some way. My wife is a devout, fundamentalist Xian. My three kids are being home schooled, which by itself isn't bad at all. The bad thing is that it's a hardcore christian curriculum. They are young enough still that it hasn't become a huge issue, but someday it will. I just have to bite my tongue, and pick and choose my battles wisely.

It's funny, when I give my son and daughter a class on astronomy from the christian creationist textbook, I leave out more than half of the material. Makes for a short class, and a lot of "improv teaching" from me.

Anyway, enough about my issues, I just wanted to tell you that I was touched by your letter, and really hope to see you on the forum someday.

Rob -13UTG-
The more we learn about the heavens, the more we realize that Heaven is imaginary.

LOOK GOD DOES EXIST AND IF U CANT SEE THAT THEN YOUR A STUPID RETARDED IDIOT WHO IS AN ATHIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
It's always kinda nice to get these types of letters.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote