Author Topic: you are wrong [#1285]  (Read 690 times)

Offline DL

you are wrong [#1285]
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

god is real. and fate is real. our lives are pointless, except for 1 point, and that is to work your way to heaven. that is the point of life, because when you make it to heaven, if you make it to heaven, you will have an eternity of happiness and pleasure. i also believe that people have rights to their own faiths, but should not differ people from their own faith. and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair. he is our saviour, and will soon be our judge. once again i will pray for you that god will soon open your eyes to what is true and real. God bless you and your family.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: you are wrong [#1285]
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
Quote from: you
god is real

Proof?

our lives are pointless, except for 1 point, and that is to work your way to heaven.

Your life may be pointless but mine isn't, and it sure as hell isn't to work my way to heaven.

this is the point of life.

No, that's your opinion that that's what the point of life is. You don't speak for me.

you will have an eternity of happiness and pleasure.

Who says I want an eternity of happiness and pleasure? What if I only want to have that for, oh say, 70+ years, and then after that I just want to not exist anymore? What's wrong with that? What's up with people wanting to live forever? Things would get boring after awhile.

he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair.

A person who is caring some of the time doesn't mean in the end they'll end up being fair or nice. Why would the same be applied to the Biblegod?

he is our saviour

Yours, not mine.

and will soon be our judge.

Not mine.

once again i will pray for you that god will soon open your eyes to what is true and real.

What is true and real is subjective.

God bless you and your family.

Leave the blessing to people who care for them.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
God is not going to be happy with the OP because he did not use a capital "G" for God.  You will probably be in hell along side us for that. 

We also got the "I'll pray for you speech".  I must have 100s of people praying for me now.  You would think something would be happening.

Funny thing is the spelling and grammar is pretty good.  Are we sure we are talking to a real Christian?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
Real Christian? Perhaps. A True Christian? Probably not.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
"What is the meaning of human life, or of organic life altogether?  To answer this question at all implies a religion.  Is there any sense, you ask, in putting it?  I answer, the man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life."

-Albert Einstein

OP,

You may look at life as pointless, except for the worship of an egotistical god that tortures his own creation for any act it considers an abomination, but my life is full of meaning from various areas.

As Einstein said, "...the man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life."
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
god is real.

Your god -- your deity -- may be.  There are plenty of other deities that aren't.

Care to tell me what you believe and why you believe it, so we can discuss if your deity is real and how it is it real?

and fate is real. our lives are pointless, except for 1 point, and that is to work your way to heaven.

The last part doesn't make much sense.  Are you just preaching at me?  If you are, consider that you may be doing it for yourself and nobody else.

that is the point of life, because when you make it to heaven, if you make it to heaven, you will have an eternity of happiness and pleasure.

Well, there may be a heaven but there is no life for you or me after we die.  You may deny that.  You may get angry about that.  It may scare you, yet you seem to be desperately bargaining at this point.  Accepting your mortality is not so far away for you.  It may even allow you to enjoy life that much more.

Note that I don't say there is no afterlife dogmatically.  I offer details that you can check for yourself.  If I'm mistaken, you can correct me.  If you offer no reasons for disagreeing, though, then you should consider that you need to investigate this subject further.

The details I'll provide at the end of this message.

i also believe that people have rights to their own faiths, but should not differ people from their own faith. and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair. he is our saviour, and will soon be our judge. once again i will pray for you that god will soon open your eyes to what is true and real. God bless you and your family.

Prayer is ineffective.  That's the point of the videos.

If you want the physiological benefits of deep prayer, consider meditation.  You won't see any deities, but you may gain focus and concentration as well as the ability to relax better.  Also, it won't cost you anything but a few moments of time a week; less time than picking out clothes for church.

Back to talking about the afterlife...

=================================================

"Where will I go when I die?"

I know the answer to that.  When I'm alive, I am -- when I'm dead, I am not.

Here's the long version;

Summary: There is no such thing as a soul.  Because of that, there is no existence for us after our lives are over.  That's why it's called death.

How can I write that with any confidence?

Think about what we know -- what we can actually check and examine.  Think about what we do not need to speculate about -- on both life and death.

1. Death is not a clear line; on one side alive, on the other completely dead.

Death happens in stages as individual cells no longer retain integrity for a variety of reasons, often because of oxygen starvation from organ failure or trauma that prevents the blood from circulating.  Parts of us are dying and new cells are being made all the time.

2. Organ transplants.  Even when 'we' cease to be, parts of us are still coherent, allowing organ transplants.  There is even a method of blood extraction from corpses that is used occasionally.

3. All of our thoughts while we are alive are contained in a structure of neurons.  This can be seen in a variety of well documented cases from Phineas Gage through to the impacts of severing the corpus colosum and the impacts of traumas such as strokes and alzheimers as well as the structures found that map nerves to a variety of tasks and thoughts.

4. When people start to die, the brain is frequently one of the last organs to be starved of oxygen.

5. The 'tunnel of light' is caused by the visual cortex losing oxygen and the remaining parts of the brain attempting to deal with that.  The same 'tunnel' can be simulated.  Pilots experience this when they use a centrifuge under high G forces for training or to test new gear.  Both these are documented and can be duplicated with the proper equipment and/or circumstances.

6. People who live after being through this oxygen starvation tell stories based on their brain's attempt to deal with the stress.  They talk about 'flash backs', they talk about 'stepping outside' of themselves and seeing themselves.  The same thing the pilots in the centrifuges report.

7. The more time the brain or any organ is starved, the more damage.

8. People don't act any differently from more damage (that brings them closer to complete death and thus an 'afterlife') then other victims of brain damage.

9. When people 'come back' from 'the dead' their bodies have not suffered complete cell death; they weren't completely dead.

10. When cell death is complete, there is no place for 'us' to stand; there is no way to 'see the other side' and return to talk about it.

11. Think back to #3.  Now, with that in mind, where do 'we' go if our brains suffer a stroke or other damage?  Are there surpluses of souls hanging around, waiting for brain damage before they can be inserted into a live body?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
our lives are pointless, except for 1 point, and that is to work your way to heaven. that is the point of life, because when you make it to heaven, if you make it to heaven, you will have an eternity of happiness and pleasure.

In my opinion, your "eternity of happiness and pleasure" is the pointless existence, and unproven as well.  I choose to create my own meaning in the present moment rather than hoping that some imaginary friend will hand it to me later.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Got Mayhem?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »
Wow...look at that.
Why couldn't I see it before? It was so obvious.
Thanks for telling me everything I need to know.
To be honest, I dont think I've ever seen a better written piece of literature in my entire life.
I am my own God
See the truth beyond
Through endless lies thy kingdom come
Glorified wisdom illumination tool
Self deceit it's the golden rule

Live your life you're gonna die your own death
There's no one above that's gonna take your breath

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »
god is real. and fate is real.
And who told you this, your pastor? Try again.

our lives are pointless, except for 1 point, and that is to work your way to heaven.
I work to get by day-to-day, you know, so I can buy food to eat, and pay for my car and other stuff. However, how can you work to get to heaven, by going to church? Spending a few hours a week in church, listening to someone talk on and on about this character in a book, and his father who (both of whom the speaker has never seen) is pointless to me. I worry more about my cat running away than I do about where I will go when I die.

if you make it to heaven, you will have an eternity of happiness and pleasure.
I have all the happiness I need right here, thank you.

and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair.
Here is the thing: If god does exist he should have an order of operations (you know, PEMDAS) when it comes to suffering (I think). The atheists on this board, as well as every other atheist in the would, should suffer first, then comes those who don't believe in the god of the bible, then those who claim to be christian but drink, fornicate, say,"Jesus Christ!" in vain, etc, then the cafeteria christians who pick and choose according to their own will, then the True Christians who god finds righteous except for that one part, then the children who are too young to understand the bible and the idea of god. Yet the children are suffering the most. Why aren't I suffering? If there is a god, god's plan for them is cruel, and god really messed up there. I don't know, I think if god exists he's attack those who don't believe in him first.

once again i will pray for you that god will soon open your eyes to what is true and real.
Yeah, please don't. Not for my sake, but for yours. You are wasting your time praying to god. No one is hearing you, unless someone is eavesdropping. The god of the bible, and any other deity that has been established, is not true and real.  Thanks

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
However, how can you work to get to heaven, by going to church? Spending a few hours a week in church, listening to someone talk on and on about this character in a book, and his father who (both of whom the speaker has never seen) is pointless to me.

I've always thought that if a benevolent, merciful, and forgiving deity existed it would care more about how we treat our fellow man and what we decide to make of our lives, for the better of society, rather than how many church services we went to in our lives.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »

and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair. he is our saviour, and will soon be our judge. once again i will pray for you that god will soon open your eyes to what is true and real. God bless you and your family.

Tell that to the 20,000 children that die every day from famine.  How fair is that?
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
i also believe that people have rights to their own faiths, but should not differ people from their own faith.
So, you don't support the missionaries at your church?  Or witness to people? 

and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair.

Wow, just wow.  How many meals a day to you eat?  How many glasses of clean water?  Your God, if he exists, has the power to solve the food and water crisis in third world countries, but CHOOSES not to.  How is that fair again?  Your God is an uncaring monster and thankfully, also imaginary.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »
One of the unfortunate side effects of a belief in a god or gods is that anything that conflicts with present morality may be dismissed by saying, “Who can understand the ways of <insert name of deity>?”

A benefit is that anything good can be attributed to <insert name of deity>

Any mixed event, e.g. an earthquake then a survivor praising <insert name of deity> It is usual that <insert name of deity> is accepted as the savior but not the instigator.

If an earthquake kills a group of unsympathetic characters then “<insert name of deity> did it as punishment.”

I noticed this the other day when some woman volunteered that she had been cure of emphysema by <insert name of deity.> I asked who had given her emphysema. She replied that it was caused by smoking. I asked if she didn’t think that the powerful drugs she took had helped. She replied, “I know it was <insert name of deity.> ”

I then pointed out that some chemical compounds seemed to have both given her this illness and cured her of it (or at least lessened its effects) and asked, “Where did <insert name of deity> come into it?” She left without answering.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline DL

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »
OP replies via email:

---

i am not watching that video and by the way jesus didnt write the bible the desiples did. they followed all of his actions and copied them onto paper

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »
Nobody in this thread posted any videos...what video are you talking about?

EDIT:  Wait, he meant the original video that he commented on, didn't he?  What kind of moron comments on a video without watching it?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:24:03 PM by Azdgari »
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »
I thought the Bible was God's words? Oh, wait, I forgot, Jesus and God -- same being. My bad.

-Nam

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
OP replies via email:

---

i am not watching that video and by the way jesus didnt write the bible the desiples did. they followed all of his actions and copied them onto paper

You need to read up on the history of who wrote the bible, I suggest any book by Bart Ehrman.  What's a "desiple"?
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 06:19:48 AM »
i am not watching that video

What video?

and by the way jesus didnt write the bible the desiples did. they followed all of his actions and copied them onto paper

You really don't know your own religion, do you?  Here's something to try;

*** Make a list of everything that was written about the Jesus Christ from your Bible during the time that he was supposed to have lived. ***

Note that last part -- "during the time that he was supposed to have lived" -- meaning not years after he was supposed to have been crucified, but from birth through crucification.  I'll tell you what, I'll even make it easy on you.  I'll include the extra time between the crucifixion through ascension.

Get back to me when you have a few items on the list.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »
. and with the starving people remark, yes, he did plan their lives out also. he may seem non-caring at times, but in the end, he is always fair.

Oh yeah. God's always fair as long as someone else is doing the starving and not you. &)
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
OP replies via email:

---

As deconverted pointed out, you need to learn the history of the bible.

Now, lets just assume that you are talking about the NT.
It sounds like you are saying the bible was written as the events were happening. Let me ask you something. Can you remember, and write down, word for word what you did five years ago? I highly doubt it. Now what makes you so sure that someone else can write down, word for word, what you did five years ago?

Also, the disciples were already claiming him to be the son of god at the time of his death, and before writing of the NT took place. So my theory is that the disciples simply smudged a few details, left some things out, added their own spin, and behold, here is your saviour!

(All this, of course, is assuming Jesus was a real person anyways. And even that debated)
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.