Author Topic: The most important question [#1237]  (Read 488 times)

Offline DL

The most important question [#1237]
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
I have a more important question than "Why won't God heal amputees?" My question is
"what person, pretending to be representing God, hurt you so much that you have
become a campaigner against God?"

[name]

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: The most important question [#1237]
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »
it wasn't a solo offender.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
Not the whole, "you've been hurt in some way so you lost complete faith in God and Jesus. Just know that Jesus is still there for you and will never leave you, so I implore you to reach out to him, because it will make you a much happier person" crap again, is it?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:36:14 PM »
Why do so many Christians seem to think that someone hurt me into nonreligion? Is it common? If so that's one more reason TO dislike religion.
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:39:41 PM »
I have not been hurt by anyone.  I woke up to rational thought.  You should try it.  Freedom from delusion is wonderful. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I wasn't hurt either, unless you count all those wasted hours sitting in church or praying (chapped butt and sore knees.)  OK ,when I think about all the money I gave the church it does kinda hurt, but I only blame myself because I don't believe in adult fairy tales.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
What about those of us who were never religious?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Whitney

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Happy Atheist
    • Happy Atheist Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
Why do so many Christians seem to think that someone hurt me into nonreligion? Is it common? If so that's one more reason TO dislike religion.

I think that some people assume that disbelief in a god and the rejection of religious belief is also a rejection of morality and 'love'.  So, they go on to assume that non-believers must have been hurt in some extreme way as to want to reject God's love and morality.

But...I'm just guessing based on what those who have that view have said.  Not many with this view are articulate enough to explain why they hold the belief that atheists were harmed...they just believe it.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »
I've noticed that very, very few believers are willing to confront the possibility that it was the religion itself that led to us rejecting it.  Far, far less challenging to pin the blame on some human interloper.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
I bet some leprechaunist ruined belief in leprechauns for the OP, too
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Kemory

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
Hello,

I am not an angry person. I am not wild and never have been. Was a 'good' teenager. I don't drink or even smoke. I wear my seatbelt and I am kind to strangers. My family and I have a really nice life. We are well off financially and have a nice home and healthy kids. I have a doting husband who has a 'give it away' policy, which means he will never sell anything he wants to get rid of. He's given away cars, computers, tvs, etc. My children are smart, loving and pratical. If you met us, you'd think we were a good family. You'd think we were truly 'blessed'. YOu might even think we were Christians because I write novels where the main character is a angel, and we have angel figurines in the front yard. We all have our own Bibles. My youngest son (age 8) is fascinated with all religions and will talk your ear off about them. My grandma is 96, healthy and still lives alone. My best friend is a god-fearing Christian.

Now, would you believe my family and I are atheists and have been all of our lives?

We are "atheists" ( we usually don't use that word because a lot of christians seem to think it means someone who is angry at god and/or evil or uses it as an excuse to life a bad lifestyle) Really, we are just logical thinkers. We don't see the characters in the bible as any different than the characters in mythology, or Christianity as anything more than a rip-off of pagan and ancient Egyptian stories. Still, we are amused by the stories as we are any other fascinating fictional stories. The more you learn about other religions, history and science, the more you see the little man behind the curtain, so to speak. This isn't saying we don't wonder about the paranormal or things like alternate realities and forth dimensions, etc. There are many strange things in the Universe, and we've had unusual things happen to us we can't explain (but no satanic posessions, sorry). But the idea of a creator of the universe insisting we worship him or suffer for all eternity is just beyond silly to us. Biblegod and most 'gods' have way too many (human) male-ego traits. Pretty easy to see biblegod was dreamed up by a bunch of men seeking control.

The fact that things like 'thou shall not rape' or 'thou shall not beat your wife' or 'thou shall not molest children' are not in the commandments is pretty interesting if you ask me. It is interesting because Christains swear we would be an immoral society without the Bible's morals. We as a society deemed rape, abuse and molestation 'wrong'. We know they are wrong because most humans have empathy. We wouldn't want those things to happen to us, so we feel bad for someone else if it has happened to them. Empathy is something that develops in us if we are raised by loving parents. It's that simple. I was raised by a loving family who also never used religion or god as the 'reason' I should be a good person.

Anyway that's just a little of my 0.2 cents.

Jo

Offline AndroidAR

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • We are ALL machines.
    • AndroidAR@deviantArt
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »
I have a more important question than "Why won't God heal amputees?" My question is

[name]

I never left religion, because I never consider myself as ever really being in a religion. At most, I was an Agnostic Deist ("IF there is a god, it hasn't intervened since the beginning") who was a member of the Anglican Church.

I fight against religion because religion tends to stifle the collection and pursuit of knowledge. I consider knowledge to be sacred.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »
Why is it that every once in a while I get a person asking me if I'm an atheist because some priest touched my man junk?  Seriously, I'm not an atheist because I was ever molested.  I'm an atheist because I have a brain and actively use it.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »

[name]

So, are you planning on answering WWGHA?
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I've been thinking about this question and, if there is a god (any god will do but I'm referring to the god of Abraham) he has hurt me by allowing the life forms of this earth to suffer. If he does exist, I cannot forgive him for this, either he can do something about suffering and won't, or he can't do anything about it, either way that is not the trait of a being I would consider worthy of my worship.
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton